TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front brake cooling parts

FiaCobra

Did anyone install the front brake cooling ducts yet? ....or, did anyone at least inspect the contents inside the box?

I'm going to install my front brake cooling kit when the weather gets warmer. Since the box is out in the garage, does anyone know if there are mesh screens for the air inlet to prevent leaves and road debris from entering? I'm thinking we don't have the mesh screens. Can anyone tell me for certain ?

No screens in the box. 2 hoses, 10 bolts, 8 zip ties, 4 hose clamps and the 2 brake shield plates. If memory serves I believe you'll need to remove the splitter to access the grill bosses from the inside.

Also be careful as to the routing of the hoses as I've heard from others with 18" Alcoas that the hoses will rub if not routed exactly perfect. Those with the 20" Alcoas don't seem to have the problem...

Did anyone install the front brake cooling ducts yet? ....or, did anyone at least inspect the contents inside the box?

I'm going to install my front brake cooling kit when the weather gets warmer. Since the box is out in the garage, does anyone know if there are mesh screens for the air inlet to prevent leaves and road debris from entering? I'm thinking we don't have the mesh screens. Can anyone tell me for certain ?

FiaCorba it was nice meeting you at the bash. There was a thread on this but I cannot find it. . I thought about just drilling some small holes in the in the plastic cover so rocks could not get in ducts and get into the rotors.

Dennis, nice meeting you as well.

The super snakes have the mesh screen. That's the route I'll be taking.

The mesh screen comes with the Shelby brake duct bezels. If you install them, you'll get the mesh/screen.

As for accessing the back of the grille, I just removed the "bottom plate" that is attached to the splitter and you can reach in with a batt. powered drill and hole saw to drill the grille from the backside. You'll see the obvious "hole" for routing the FRPP duct hose once you start looking around under there so when you reinstall the bottom plate the hoses have a place already in the inner fender (I think) where you route them.

I'm still not sure about running the FRPP backing plates as they are apparently made for the OE rotor size, not the Baers I'm installing.

Still in progress,

Phill

I opened the box when I got the KR, but decided not to install them. Somewhere, maybe in the KR owner's supplement, there was a statement about not using them if you are just doing normal driving. It states that they are ONLY intended for racing. Like dennis429 said above, there was a thread on this topic a while back, but I can't find it either.

No screens in my box! Talking with Robert Lane last year, he stated that Ford engineers really didn't recommend using them because of all of the sand, not rocks or larger items, that will blow into the pads and rotors. This will decrease the life of the pads and rotors. Oh, and cause that grinding sound quicker :rant2: So, I just decided to leave them off. If i tracked the car and was on the brakes a lot, then definitely I would use them..

No screens in my box! Talking with Robert Lane last year, he stated that Ford engineers really didn't recommend using them because of all of the sand, not rocks or larger items, that will blow into the pads and rotors.

Ehhhhhh, I have to question the logic behind that mentality.

The ducts direct the air to the inside center of the rotors and the centrifugal force will throw any dust/dirt/sand/rocks/debris out through the vents away from the rotors and pads.

I suppose it's POSSIBLE that the small portion of the caliper that crosses over the disc rotor might trap a little debris but when I think about "cost vs. benefit", I'd MUCH rather have brakes that don't fade then a little longer pad life.

But as they say, "to each their own".

YMMV,

Phill Pollard

2010 GT500 w/FRPP brake duct kit & Shelby/Baer 6S fr. brakes

Ehhhhhh, I have to question the logic behind that mentality.

The ducts direct the air to the inside center of the rotors and the centrifugal force will throw any dust/dirt/sand/rocks/debris out through the vents away from the rotors and pads.

I suppose it's POSSIBLE that the small portion of the caliper that crosses over the disc rotor might trap a little debris but when I think about "cost vs. benefit", I'd MUCH rather have brakes that don't fade then a little longer pad life.

But as they say, "to each their own".

YMMV,

Phill Pollard

2010 GT500 w/FRPP brake duct kit & Shelby/Baer 6S fr. brakes

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, just relaying what was said by SAI and Ford engineers.

i put mine on as soon as i got home from the dealership. from what i have read is they did not put them on because of shipping purposes.

You are correct. They were not installed at Shelby due to "shipping purposes".

Did your kit come with the mesh screens ?

Fia, I installed mine shortly after I got the car. The splitter doesn't have to be removed, but you will need to loosen the "belly pan" behind it to gain access to the duct tubes in the grill. The covers in the ducts in the lower grill can be removed by carefully pushing them out. They are held in place by a couple tabs inside the duct tubes. I would highly recommend that the zip ties supplied with the kit not be used, as I don't think they are substantial enough to support the duct tubes and there aren't enough of them. Good luck with the install.

You are correct. They were not installed at Shelby due to "shipping purposes".

I have to disagree. Here is the page from the KR Supplement. Notice in the bottom right corner is says that the brake ducts are not to be used for daily driving, but only for track use.

GT500KR4-5.jpg

I agree with the suppliment and what you posted. I "heard" that the folks at Shelby decided against installing the ducts due to the fact they could not properly strap the cars down in transport with the ducts in the way.

Perhaps someone at Shelby can chime in ?

- Joe

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, just relaying what was said by SAI and Ford engineers.

No no no, I was in NO way questioning YOU (i.e. the messenger).

I was pointing out that *I* question the LOGIC behind the statement, regardless of who/whom it originated from and I know it did not originate from you.

My apologies for the misunderstanding,

Phill

No no no, I was in NO way questioning YOU (i.e. the messenger).

I was pointing out that *I* question the LOGIC behind the statement, regardless of who/whom it originated from and I know it did not originate from you.

My apologies for the misunderstanding,

Phill

Phil, thanks for the post. No Problem... I feel that if you're going to track the car, put them on. If someone wants to put them on because it is a cool option they should put them on. I'm not really on the brakes a lot and I'm not heating the rotors up too much, so I'm leaving mine off for now. I think the primary reason they weren't put on was secondary to buyers preference. Shipping may have had something to do with it too; the front splitter wasn't installed until after delivery as well.

I thought a good idea for the screen, would be a fine mesh screen behind the inlet duct that the tubes attach to.

Gary

Phil, thanks for the post. No Problem... I feel that if you're going to track the car, put them on. If someone wants to put them on because it is a cool option they should put them on. I'm not really on the brakes a lot and I'm not heating the rotors up too much, so I'm leaving mine off for now. I think the primary reason they weren't put on was secondary to buyers preference. Shipping may have had something to do with it too; the front splitter wasn't installed until after delivery as well.

I thought a good idea for the screen, would be a fine mesh screen behind the inlet duct that the tubes attach to.

Gary

My idea:

Get a old pair of women's nylons and cut a couple of pieces out large enough to go over the duct connection behind the grille.

Pull your duct hoses off at the grille connector, stretch a piece of the nylon over it and hold it in place with a rubber band. Put the hoses back on and clamp 'em with hose clamps or zip ties. Now you have the initial screen and a secondary nylon "filter" mesh.

If something passes through a nylon mesh, it's not big enough to cause a problem with the pad/rotor.

Worse case scenario: debris clogs the duct entrance at the mesh and you're back to square one, which is the same cooling you had prior to installing the duct!

Phill

Any of you guys want a set of KR Bezels? I bought them for my car but they did not look so hot as they were not made for the SGT style grills, we modified the stock SGT pieces with some mesh and made mine look cool. I dont remember what they cost but I will sell them to anyone who wants them...pm me. The KR ones are from SA and have the mesh screens I did punch out the plastic backing pieces as intended by SA, and they have been test fit. So they are techincally used, make me an offer, never run on the road or rack however just fit in my shop. Will fit the 500's.Cheers!

Any of you guys want a set of KR Bezels? I bought them for my car but they did not look so hot as they were not made for the SGT style grills, we modified the stock SGT pieces with some mesh and made mine look cool. I dont remember what they cost but I will sell them to anyone who wants them...pm me. The KR ones are from SA and have the mesh screens I did punch out the plastic backing pieces as intended by SA, and they have been test fit. So they are techincally used, make me an offer, never run on the road or rack however just fit in my shop. Will fit the 500's.Cheers!

PM sent

Archived