TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Started warranty claim on hood scoop

Went to local dealer this afternoon and started the warranty claim for a new hood scoop although mine has not been as bad as others, I can see the waves in it so decided to get it done before she reaches 3 years old in February. Has anyone had the dealer cut the hood out for an open scoop? If so, was it costly? I'd like to open it up, but really don't have the tools to do it myself. Wish me luck

Thanks Grabber, I had read that thread already, but was wondering if anyone has actually had the dealer do it for them...Just curious as to what they might charge. The guy I was talking to yeserday seemed reluctant to even think about cutting the opening...all he was saying was "These aluminum hoods are pretty flimsy to start with." I explained to him that they are the same hoods that they cut the opening in for the shaker hoods, so I didn't see a problem...Like I said, I just don't have the tools to do it myself, so was considering having the dealer do it for me while it was in getting the scoop done...

Thanks Grabber, I had read that thread already, but was wondering if anyone has actually had the dealer do it for them...Just curious as to what they might charge. The guy I was talking to yeserday seemed reluctant to even think about cutting the opening...all he was saying was "These aluminum hoods are pretty flimsy to start with." I explained to him that they are the same hoods that they cut the opening in for the shaker hoods, so I didn't see a problem...Like I said, I just don't have the tools to do it myself, so was considering having the dealer do it for me while it was in getting the scoop done...

Well I can tell you that the hood is designed with that area to be cut out if so opted. It is totally reinforced all around that opening area. As I stated even the hood liner is designed to be cut out there in that location, you can see that upon lifting the hood. Once I had the cutout done, I lifted the hood myself back onto the car. There was NO flexing or twisting of the hood what so ever. The hood is just fine with the scoop hole cut out!

Rich

I will be doing the same this week. Can anyone tell me if the new scoop comes painted from Shelby? Are new stripes provided as well?

Actually the scoop from Shelby will be the silver stripe color. The black center is painted, or striped on. I had mine repainted all black for my car.

Went to local dealer this afternoon and started the warranty claim for a new hood scoop although mine has not been as bad as others, I can see the waves in it so decided to get it done before she reaches 3 years old in February. Has anyone had the dealer cut the hood out for an open scoop? If so, was it costly? I'd like to open it up, but really don't have the tools to do it myself. Wish me luck

Good luck! I attempted the same thing last summer and Shelby/Ford Racing denied the claim saying the hood scoop wasn't covered as part of the 3 year/36000 warranty (started claim end of June/ 3 years up in August) and that it expired a year ago. I could still get the new scoop, but would have to take the scoop off of the car and ship it to SAI and would get a replacement in for to 6 weeks for $250. :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

I can't find the scoop on the Shelby website.

Am I doing something wrong?I would like to order one.

This is something that cannot be ordered. This is a replacement item only if you have issues with your original one. It would be replaced under warranty only. Now you can search Ebay and what not to see if you can find one. But you cannot outright buy this item from Shelby!

Good luck! I attempted the same thing last summer and Shelby/Ford Racing denied the claim saying the hood scoop wasn't covered as part of the 3 year/36000 warranty (started claim end of June/ 3 years up in August) and that it expired a year ago. I could still get the new scoop, but would have to take the scoop off of the car and ship it to SAI and would get a replacement in for to 6 weeks for $250. :banghead:

You may want to go back to "this" dealership and ask why they lied to you. There are enough threads/stories here on Team Shelby to show you that the hood sccop/stripe issues were indeed covered by the 3/36 warranty. Always been that way and still is that way but your in service date must be under 3/36.

If you have proof that you tried to get your hood scoop replaced under warranty, like a service receipt, I would suggest you get in touch with your local regional Ford rep and perhaps he can give you a reason on why you were lied to.

Steve

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62084-functional-hood-scoop-mod-wsa-glass-scoop/page__p__1055885__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=1055885

Heres what I did...real easy...any shop could do it for you, if they wanted to, totally basic. Get some kind of paint to protect the edge after you are done IMO. I would not advise using any type of body saw it should be done with a cutoff wheel...slowly to keep heat out of the cut,and lots of protection for the car and engine bay.

Cheers! The new glass scoops from SA are really nice pieces BTW...

This is not true! The only thing we've seen denied here for not being covered under the 3/36 is environmental stripe damage. Stripe damaged caused by the shifting scoop is, and always has been, covered.

Go to the warranty info above print and take to dealer or call The warranty line personally and see if a claim was ever submitted!

Good luck!

This is something that cannot be ordered. This is a replacement item only if you have issues with your original one. It would be replaced under warranty only. Now you can search Ebay and what not to see if you can find one. But you cannot outright buy this item from Shelby!

Since the cars are out of the 3/36 warranty for 07's,have you heard how we are supposed to replace a warped scoop?

Do extended warranties work for this?

I don't mind paying for it,but it does not seem to make sense that the only way to get a scoop is under warranty,but the warranties are expired.

Since the cars are out of the 3/36 warranty for 07's,have you heard how we are supposed to replace a warped scoop?

I don't mind paying for it,but it does not seem to make sense that the only way to get a scoop is under warranty,but the warranties are expired.

If you are out of warranty, and willing to pay for replacement I don't see why you cannot get one then if you have a verified Shelby GT. They will take the old one in return though as a control item. Just contact your local Ford dealer, they in turn should contact Ford Racing to get this done.

My experience has been that extended warranties do not cover cosmetic items like stripes & hood scoops. You are able to purchase a replacement scoop but you'll need to provide proof of ownership in addition to turning over your old scoop.

Steve

My experience has been that extended warranties do not cover cosmetic items like stripes & hood scoops. You are able to purchase a replacement scoop but you'll need to provide proof of ownership in addition to turning over your old scoop.

Steve

+1.

I also never got a clear answer, written, if the extended warranty covered the Ford Racing parts.

Anyone have something written or had a claim on one under the extended warranty yet?

Now that my hood scoop replacement has been approved, I have been thinking about the rivet nut modification...although I don't understand how these work...I know many of you have done the mod if someone can enlighten me, I would GREATLY appreciate any insight...also, from what I have read, you can only get one half of the equation in a package of 100??? What's up with that? Where is a good place to get these quickly? Is some sort of tool required for installation??? Scoop and Stripes should be here in 7-10 days, so any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Now that my hood scoop replacement has been approved, I have been thinking about the rivet nut modification...although I don't understand how these work...I know many of you have done the mod if someone can enlighten me, I would GREATLY appreciate any insight...also, from what I have read, you can only get one half of the equation in a package of 100??? What's up with that? Where is a good place to get these quickly? Is some sort of tool required for installation??? Scoop and Stripes should be here in 7-10 days, so any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Carl

Read this thread that I have done. It is easy to do, and I obtained the tools and rivet nuts from Harbour Freight. Good Luck!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64138-productive-project/

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Hood scoop and stripe is in at the dealer...got my rivet nuts (Thanks Rush_Junky) and the chrome cap screws should be here by Monday. Hopefully I can get the car in the shop on Tuesday and have it back either later that day or on Wednesday...I guess I'll hold off on having them cut the hood for me, but have them install the scoop with the rivet nuts and cap screws so I can take it off later and cut the hood myself.

Just to add a little bit to this thread for reference.

Yes, the scoop is covered with a 36 month warranty, and yes the warranty only starts after the car was initially purchased from a dealer. In my case, my 2007 36 month warranty expired last month, and I also received a warranty hood scoop last month with no problems.

Regarding the scoop. I am not sure if everyone has experienced the same but here is what I have received.

1. The scoop is fiberglass, fairly nicely made and is painted high gloss silver basecoat/clearcoat. It is NOT the satin silver that was on the car originally.

2. It came with a small roll of white vinyl striping separate in a bag. That striping is to be used to put the middle "stripe" back on exactly in the correct place to match the hood, after the test fitting of the scoop has been done.

3. The black honeycomb insert on the new Shelby Scoop appears to be material poured into a mold to sort of pseudo replicate the original plastic piece. It looks like it is sprayed flat black with a spray can. It doesn't really fit the scoop very well. It touches the hood on one side and is nearly 1/4 inch away from the hood on the other side. I think I may remove it later to open the scoop up, but for now I will leave it as is.

4. There were NO holes drilled in the scoop at all from Shelby. It is a fairly involved exercise to drill the holes to match the hood. It is not difficult, but it requires someone that understands general fabrication as there are blind holes, angles involved, etc. Plus the new scoop is not dimensionally identical to the old one, so you can't just measure and hack if you want it right. If "Billy Bob" happens to be the tech that is given this job at the Ford Dealership, you can pretty much bet it is gonna get screwed up.

5. The rivets that came with the scoop are WAY too long for the application and are going to cause problems when installed.

6. If you use nut rivets, there is additional drilling involved and still the inner hood panel surfaces to consider. There are fab tools available to neatly enlarge the holes and get them centered properly, but it is more likely that a body shop is just going to hack your hood with a larger drill bit and then the bolts on the outside of the scoop are likely to no longer be in a straight line down the edge of the scoop.

I don't mean to deter anyone here. Just pointing out some obvious concerns if you really want the job done right. An installer/warranty person should understand true center punches, making templates, clekos, etc, just to get the scoop applied properly. Installing rivet nuts and proper fasteners will require more knowledge and tools.

None of this is really the specialty, nor the daily job of any workers at a Ford dealership, unless they just happen to have outside fab experience.

That being said, my scoop is NOT being installed by the dealer.

Archived