TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire Inflation

Madlock

I'm preparing to pull the trigger on replacement/second set wheels and tires to become the street shoes for my 2011 GT500 SVTPP. I'll be using the FR 19" x 9" and 10" equivalents with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires that I've fallen in love with since replacing the OE Performance Package summer-only tires on my 2011 Taurus SHO with them and finding out the stellar reviews weren't exaggerations.

Here's my dilemma. I'm not sure about the tire pressure I should default to. The F-1 G: 2 OE tires use 35 lbs, but Continental only provides a maximum recommended inflation pressure of 51. With the understanding that I'll probably fiddle with different pressures before determining the optimal inflation, which starting point would be better for me, the 35 lbs imprinted on the door jamb sticker or the tires' specified 51 lb maximum?

Any helpful guidance would be appreciated.

man at 51lbs your car will ride like a rock,unless youve changed your suspension.The car is tuned to the tires it comes with and the 51lbs of air Max means max, not "recommneded" --id go with the 35 and call Continental or SVT to see what they recomend,otherwise youll ne wearing out your new tires in the middle real fast

Madlock: Good decision on the tires. I have the Extreme Contact A/S's on my non-SVTPP 2011 GT500 and they are great. I'm carrying 35PSI cold in all four and they are perfect. The 51 lbs is MAXIMUM pressure that the tire can safely handle, NOT the recommended operational pressure. Go with the recommended 35 PSI in all four and you'll be fine.

man at 51lbs your car will ride like a rock,unless youve changed your suspension.The car is tuned to the tires it comes with and the 35lbs of air Max means max, not "recommneded" --id go with the 35 and call Continental or SVT to see what they recomend,otherwise youll ne wearing out your new tires in the middle real fast

What I figured - though going to a 19" rear wheel is going to give me some extra sidewall I may not want to compensate for. SVT won't speak to anything that's not OE (makes their lives simpler) and I haven't yet decided on a specific size for the rear - so Continental has been understandably reluctant to speak in the hypothetical.

Madlock: Good decision on the tires. I have the Extreme Contact A/S's on my non-SVTPP 2011 GT500 and they are great. I'm carrying 35PSI cold in all four and they are perfect. The 51 lbs is MAXIMUM preasure that the tire can safely handle, NOT the recommended operational preasure. Go with the recommended 35 PSI in all four and you'll be fine.

Each model in the ExtremeContact family is very different, but they're all very highly-regarded. Do you have the DW or DWS? Although I don't need the S aspect - as the GT500 won't ever see snow, I've become SO confident in the DWS and enjoy how quiet they are and how well they hold the Taurus SHO to the road, that I've already developed such a pro-DWS bias, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a different alternative.

Even so, the DW is VERY highly-regarded too - and if they buy me better performance driving with reasonable cold weather performance (but not necessarily snow), I might consider them too. Either way, I'll be inflating them to 35 psi - NOT 51 for starters. :)

Thanks a bunch!

Max vs recommended tire pressure.

There's plenty of debate about what constitutes “correct” tire pressure, but suggest going by what your vehicle manufacturer recommends, which should be listed on the side of the driver's door, on the glove compartment door, or in the owner's manual. Don't confuse the “maximum tire pressure” listed on the sidewall of the tire with the “recommended tire pressure” provided by the manufacturer of the vehicle. “Recommended tire pressure” is what you want in your tires.

What I figured - though going to a 19" rear wheel is going to give me some extra sidewall I may not want to compensate for. SVT won't speak to anything that's not OE (makes their lives simpler) and I haven't yet decided on a specific size for the rear - so Continental has been understandably reluctant to speak in the hypothetical.

Each model in the ExtremeContact family is very different, but they're all very highly-regarded. Do you have the DW or DWS? Although I don't need the S aspect - as the GT500 won't ever see snow, I've become SO confident in the DWS and enjoy how quiet they are and how well they hold the Taurus SHO to the road, that I've already developed such a pro-DWS bias, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a different alternative.

Even so, the DW is VERY highly-regarded too - and if they buy me better performance driving with reasonable cold weather performance (but not necessarily snow), I might consider them too. Either way, I'll be inflating them to 35 psi - NOT 51 for starters. :)

Thanks a bunch!

I have the DWS because its a designated All Season tire and I felt it would hook up better at lower tempratures. Very pleased with tire and they've been great so far.

Max vs recommended tire pressure.

There's plenty of debate about what constitutes “correct” tire pressure, but suggest going by what your vehicle manufacturer recommends, which should be listed on the side of the driver's door, on the glove compartment door, or in the owner's manual. Don't confuse the “maximum tire pressure” listed on the sidewall of the tire with the “recommended tire pressure” provided by the manufacturer of the vehicle. “Recommended tire pressure” is what you want in your tires.

+1

Tire size vs. tire size. Go with the "Vehicle Pressure" recommendation and adjust from there. Max tire pressure is just that, how much can you SAFELY inflate the tire to.

Terrific. What size are you running?

Mine is the non-SVTPP, so 19's all around. The Continental rears are the same as stock; 285/35R19. The fronts were unavailable in the stock size so I dropped down from 255/40/19 to a 245/40/19. That difference is negligible and makes no difference in handling. I'd definitely go for the DWS designated tires, as I like the agressive tread pattern and it definitely handles >30 degree weather drives with aplomb.

Archived