TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Productive Project!

Well while some of you crazy Team Shelby members are attending the bash doing stuff like In-Out Cruise, Track Days, Meeting Mr. Shelby and non productive things like that this weekend I did something productive. LOLOLOL, seriously wish I could be there being non-productive too. But anyway hope you like my project this weekend.

hoodscoopa.jpg

hoodscoop1.jpg

sideviewi.jpg

hoodscoopcutout2.jpg

hoodscoopcutout3.jpg

hoodscoopcutout.jpg

hoodscoopcutout1.jpg

rivetnut1.jpg

Wow, you have been busy.

What keeps the water out when you get caught driving in the rain ?

Any Pic's from the front.

Well based on what Chip Beck has stated with his function scoop project, that in the rain there is not much if any water going in there at all. He has a Cobra that looks spotless under the hood and he stated he has driven it in the rain without any issues. Besides who drives in the rain you silly guy! :happy feet:

Ignore the dust lol! Detailing enroute!

frontviewt.jpg

Cool man !!

Did you buy that scoop from Chip Beck ?

You did a very nice job installing it.

Rob, that is my original replacement scoop from Shelby. I had the original plastic warped one on there when I bought the car, Shelby/Ford Racing warrantied and replaced it with the fiberglass one. So that is what you see on there now.

Rich

Very clean job there :salute: . I wish I had the guts to do it, I'm to scared to mess something up.

This is a piece of cake to do. The cutouts are there for this already. If you look at your hood liner you will see the square area right in the center and under that is a identical cut out area on the hood. Also the hood being aluminum is so light and easy to handle so I removed it to do all this work. Trust me, this was easy to do. I went to Harbour Freight and bought a nut riveter tool and the nut rivets. Just a matter of drilling out to the correct sizes on the existing holes for the fasteners your using. I used 10-24's. The washers under the stainless button cap screws are there to distribute the load on the fiberglass and also I found that with just the cap screw it messes the paint up as you tighten it. So the washers give a load and tightening surface without "twisting" the paint. I am happy that I did this, I feel it turned out well.

This is a piece of cake to do. The cutouts are there for this already. If you look at your hood liner you will see the square area right in the center and under that is a identical cut out area on the hood. Also the hood being aluminum is so light and easy to handle so I removed it to do all this work. Trust me, this was easy to do. I went to Harbour Freight and bought a nut riveter tool and the nut rivets. Just a matter of drilling out to the correct sizes on the existing holes for the fasteners your using. I used 10-24's. The washers under the stainless button cap screws are there to distribute the load on the fiberglass and also I found that with just the cap screw it messes the paint up as you tighten it. So the washers give a load and tightening surface without "twisting" the paint. I am happy that I did this, I feel it turned out well.

Is there a torque rating for the installation ?

Is there a torque rating for the installation ?

Well as for the rivet nuts, when your compressing them, they will stop when they cannot be compressed anymore. In regards to the fasteners I just tightened them by feel. I did not want to tighten to the point of cracking the fiberglass, so just a feel kind of thing based on experience!

Rich...that is a high-qual install you got there!!

I am nutty about modding my car...and am very cautious right down to thinking through every little detail BEFORE I start it.

That looks excellent bud!! :salute:

Oh, and black GT4's will look sweet, I think!

Chris

Great job on the Install ! !

What keeps the water out when you get caught driving in the rain ?

I have had this scoop on both of my SGT's and had no issues with water coming in, I think it has to do with quantum physics.....Chip did a great write up on it sometime ago, the other thing is you really do not get any air in there either. I think heat escapes and it looks cool as heck compared to the fake inlet.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Andrew

Nice work did you use a jig saw or a torch to open that bad boy up !!! Next time I cut a hood open it's going to be the easy way a little C-4 it should open it up nice and clean :happy feet:

I used my air cutoff tool with a fiber cut off wheel.

Did you have to make the original drilled holes in the hood larger to fit the rivet nuts in? Also do you need special tools to attach the rivet nuts I've never had any experience using them.

08sgt1289

Yes you have to drill out the existing rivet holes to fit the 10-24 Rivet nuts(the size I used). Unsure how your hood scoop is mounted but mine originally had the rivets and 8 nuts that were on a bracket assembly attached the hood scoop. But bottom line is, you will want to remove the hood and lay it on some saw horses. Much easier to work it that way. If you do have the nuts and rivets, then I would suggest that you just drill out the rivets with the smallest possible drill bit you can. Once you have the rivets removed, then you can drill the holes out in the hood for the rivet nuts. Once you have those holes drilled out to size then you will use a rivet nut tool to insert the rivet nuts. After that is completed, then you can go to work on your scoop. First you will want to cutout the fake intake grill in the front. I used my air cutoff wheel to do this, worked fine. Then took a half rounded file to finalize the edge down and finished it off with some 400 grit sandpaper. Once you have that done, then you can drill out the holes in the scoop that will fit your fasteners. I used 10-24 x 3/4" button head cap screws stainless steel. I would recommend you drill from the top of the scoop down, GO SLOW and do step increases in drill size until you get the size of your fastener. This will prevent cracking of the fiberglass and paint. Once all your holes are drilled out(25) then you can mount your scoop. I used a #10 stainless washer under the fastener head, as I found with just the fastener as you tighten it would "twist" the paint. So the washer will give you a nice bearing load surface on the fiberglass and prevent paint "twisting" Good luck on yours if you go ahead with it, really it was easy just take your time on your cuts and drilling.

Here is a link to the rivet tool I used. I bought it from Harbour Freight. You have to change the head on it for the rivet nuts, but it comes with that. It worked fine for this job. If I was going to do scoops on a regular basis for people or other projects I would probably invest in higher quality one, but for just doing this job it was just fine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-riveter-kit-94100.html

Nice work! And your right, it's easy - though not for the faint of heart! (Cutting into a perfect hood is a bit frightening)

med_gallery_13043_1123_8028.jpg

gallery_13043_1123_431.jpg

I like the combing/edging you put on yours - where did you purchase that?

Sam

That is just door guard edging that I picked up at Shucks. It was $3 for a pack of it, which did all my cutout.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome!

Quick hint I did was I left the hood on the car and put a large moving balnket from U-Haul over the engine bay under the hood with a small piece of 6x8 wood under the latch to keep it up. Tape the opening for a guide line and go slow, drill the corners out to get round corners and get a NEW file so you do not contaminate the aluminum to really get the opening spot on....after you cut it out. Going slow keeps the heat out of the panel.

Cutting out the scoop portion required a little glass work, and also use a shop vac to vac up the aluminum from surfaces...its gonna go everywhere...Cheers!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62084-functional-hood-scoop-mod-wsa-glass-scoop/page__p__1055885__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=1055885

Archived