TEAM SHELBY FORUM

powder coated cam covers

pony23

what color cam covers  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What color should I make my cam covers?

• 2011 Ford Blue
    • wrinkle red
    • silver vein (like your 03)
    • leave it alone you dope
    • different color than listed

Here ya go. Sort of a how to on the removal of the cam covers. Hope this gives you an idea of what is involved.

We will start on the passenger side. Remove strut tower brace. Followed by the battery and battery tray. You will need to pull the battery wiring harness back. there is also a ground strap strut tower brace that needs to be removed. Next remove the coil covers, pull the wires off, and pull out the coil packs. Unplug the injectors and pcv to get some slack on the wiring harness. Remove the pcv tube that connects to the supercharger. Then unbolt the cam covers and remove them. That was the easy side!!!

00357c4a.jpg

Now for the fun side, lol. Start off by removing the intake tube, maf sensor, throttle body, and supercharger elbow. Next pull the coil cover, pull the wires off, and pull out the coil packs. I removed the bolts that hold the power steering res. to get a little more room. Next unplug the injectors and pcv to get some slack out of the wiring harness. I then unbolted the oil dip stick and removed it. Next unbolt the cam covers. Not so fast, we need to drop the K-member to pull this side off. You need to do this with the car on ramps with the weight on the car.

0de330a3.jpg

I started by unbolting the front 4 nuts (2 on each side) that hold the k-member in place. They are located underneath behind the front suspension.

daea876f.jpg

I next removed the rear 4 bolts (2 on each side) of the k-member. Now it is free to to jack up the body. I put the jack just behind the rear of the k-member on the frame and slowly jacked it up.

1ff0d910.jpg

You need to keep an eye on the front of the engine where the oil cooler is. The coolant line that comes out of the front of it comes very close to the front anti-roll bar. You can only drop the motor a little bit before it hits the bar. You could remove the bar even though I did not, you will get enough room without doing it. You can now remove the cam cover. :) woo-hoo

c1e39f23.jpg

This is what it should now look like.

Just go in reverse to do the install.

Here ya go. Sort of a how to on the removal of the cam covers. Hope this gives you an idea of what is involved.

We will start on the passenger side. Remove strut tower brace. Followed by the battery and battery tray. You will need to pull the battery wiring harness back. there is also a ground strap strut tower brace that needs to be removed. Next remove the coil covers, pull the wires off, and pull out the coil packs. Unplug the injectors and pcv to get some slack on the wiring harness. Remove the pcv tube that connects to the supercharger. Then unbolt the cam covers and remove them. That was the easy side!!!

00357c4a.jpg

Now for the fun side, lol. Start off by removing the intake tube, maf sensor, throttle body, and supercharger elbow. Next pull the coil cover, pull the wires off, and pull out the coil packs. I removed the bolts that hold the power steering res. to get a little more room. Next unplug the injectors and pcv to get some slack out of the wiring harness. I then unbolted the oil dip stick and removed it. Next unbolt the cam covers. Not so fast, we need to drop the K-member to pull this side off. You need to do this with the car on ramps with the weight on the car.

0de330a3.jpg

I started by unbolting the front 4 nuts (2 on each side) that hold the k-member in place. They are located underneath behind the front suspension.

daea876f.jpg

I next removed the rear 4 bolts (2 on each side) of the k-member. Now it is free to to jack up the body. I put the jack just behind the rear of the k-member on the frame and slowly jacked it up.

1ff0d910.jpg

You need to keep an eye on the front of the engine where the oil cooler is. The coolant line that comes out of the front of it comes very close to the front anti-roll bar. You can only drop the motor a little bit before it hits the bar. You could remove the bar even though I did not, you will get enough room without doing it. You can now remove the cam cover. :) woo-hoo

c1e39f23.jpg

This is what it should now look like.

Just go in reverse to do the install.

Awesome pics, thanks for all of that! Now I need to order up my covers.

The Red looks killer on your car btw. :shift:

Archived