TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Struts - No Drill, NICE!!

Here's an update on the hood strut kit;

hood strut kit arrived with 90# gas struts as ordered, paint match was good, however when I installed the drivers side hood bracket and tightened the bolts, the cast bracket snapped just above the top (front) mounting bolt. I called CPC and they promptly sent me a replacement at no charge (excellent customer service!). I found that there is a slight buldge in the hood that the bracket makes contact with and possibly may have caused the fracture. I am recommending that if the bulge/bracket contact is experianced when mounting, you should shim the bracket for better clearance because cast alluminum does not flex well.

Mark

mark mine is on order. can you post pics? not sure i understand what you mean here.

thanks

Ron

Here's an update on the hood strut kit;

hood strut kit arrived with 90# gas struts as ordered, paint match was good, however when I installed the drivers side hood bracket and tightened the bolts, the cast bracket snapped just above the top (front) mounting bolt. I called CPC and they promptly sent me a replacement at no charge (excellent customer service!). I found that there is a slight buldge in the hood that the bracket makes contact with and possibly may have caused the fracture. I am recommending that if the bulge/bracket contact is experianced when mounting, you should shim the bracket for better clearance because cast alluminum does not flex well.

Mark

I did not have a contact issue that I know of. Is the contact so severe that a shim is needed? or could a file be used in the contact area of the metal bracket to make some clearance and then a little touch-up? I am assuming that the contact is on the back/unseen side of the bracket that faces the hood? There may be some variances in the fiberglass hoods?

R

I did not have a contact issue that I know of. Is the contact so severe that a shim is needed? or could a file be used in the contact area of the metal bracket to make some clearance and then a little touch-up? I am assuming that the contact is on the back/unseen side of the bracket that faces the hood? There may be some variances in the fiberglass hoods?

R

Robert, I am guessing that not all SS hoods have bulge's to the same degree, especially since I had no issues on the passenger side. The contact with the bulge on the drivers side was reduced sufficiantly with a .060" shim. A person could file or mill the back side of the bracket, however I would caution against that after seeing how easy the bracket snapped in half (which happened immediatly after I attached the gas shock).

Ron, I will take some pics and post as soon as posible.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Archived