TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Struts - No Drill, NICE!!

I have too many projects going on the Super Snake right now, but one that I completed this morning is the hood strut install. I had started on this a couple of months ago and got side tracked with "other" things. At first I installed the 70lb. gas struts offered by CPC through J.D. Saxon at ChampionMustang.com (Great guy!!) but they did not seem to support the Super Snake fiberglass hood to my satisfaction. There are three psi levels available, 50lb, 70lb. and 90lb. I chose the one in the middle first as a starting point. Since the Super Snake hood is nose heavy with the major amount of fiberglass up front, the 70lb struts held the hood up, but it took very little effort to bring it down. <<< Not good at a car show.

I have since worked with J.D., received the 90lb. struts from CPC, and they feel Nice, Very Nice, in fact I think they feel like a factory strut, or very close. They hold the hood from about 1/2 - 2/3rd's up position and are not over powering for the hood, like too much pressure or tension when closing.

I have a set of the SPP Red Lines and they are top of the line for sure, I even ordered the matching "Elites" for the trunk, but drilling the holes in my original Super Snake fiberglass hood was where I was hesitating, not that it really matters, but some of you know where I am coming from...........

These CPC hood struts come with color painted brackets and are completely bolt-on. Here are some "installed" pictures. Best of all No more Prop Rod!!

Picture1926-2.jpg

Picture1927-2.jpg

Picture1928-2.jpg

Picture1924-1.jpg

Look how well they blend in and look "factory". I like that!

R

That's what I need now too. :spend: My struts let me down.

This is where I started....................

http://www.championmustang.com/modern/0710-shelby-gt500-gas-strut-hood-lift-kit-torch-red-d3-70-lbs-rating-see-details-p-1913.html

and after working with J.D. at Champion and Cindy at California Pony Cars, the 90lb. struts appear to work best with the Super Snake hood.

R

http://www.championmustang.com/modern/0710-shelby-gt500-gas-strut-hood-lift-kit-torch-red-d3-70-lbs-rating-see-details-p-1913.html

and after working with J.D. at Champion and Cindy at California Pony Cars, the 90lb. struts appear to work best with the Super Snake hood.

R

Thanks Robert.

I have the same ones on mine, but I had to have them painted as they don't come in Kona Blue (or at least didn't then). Due to the fact that I refuse to read directions, I have a pair of the pieces that mount to the hood hinge, painted in Kona Blue, that will NOT fit a GT500 hood. Maybe someone with a 2010-2011 Kona Blue non GT500 wants 'em for cheap?

Hey Robert. Are you concerned about the hood cracking from the struts? I have always hesitated to put struts on because I was afraid the torque when the hood is pushed down might crack something. Also, will they send the kit with 90lb struts or do you have to buy the kit, then extra struts?

Don

Champion Mustang can sell the kit with the 90 LBS struts as well. Just give J.D. a call. He'll take care of everything! There number is 817-419-2925.

Larry

Hey Robert. Are you concerned about the hood cracking from the struts? I have always hesitated to put struts on because I was afraid the torque when the hood is pushed down might crack something. Also, will they send the kit with 90lb struts or do you have to buy the kit, then extra struts?

Don

I do not feel excessive pressure on the hood while opening or closing. Instead of the torque or pressure being directly applied to the hood fiberglass, these Cal Pony's attach to a metal bracket (included in the kit and shown in the first and second photo's) at the hood end and that metal bracket is sandwiched between the OEM metal hood hinge and the original hood bolts, 2 per side. It appears that if there is any additional force, it will probably be tranfered to the metal hood hinge via the metal bracket and not to the fiberglass hood. I will admit that the hood, with the strut help does not feel like dead weight as it did before the struts, but I do not feel any fight or pressure being applied that may crack the hood.

J.D. at Champion Mustang worked with Cindy at Cal Pony and I had to buy nothing additional. My original kit came with 70lb. struts and they were exchanged for 90lb. struts at no extra cost. If someone were to order directly from J.D. at Champion and advise him that they have a Super Snake hood, he will make the proper arrangemets for the 90lb. struts with Cal Pony.

R

I do not feel excessive pressure on the hood while opening or closing. Instead of the torque or pressure being directly applied to the hood fiberglass, these Cal Pony's attach to a metal bracket (included in the kit and shown in the first and second photo's) at the hood end and that metal bracket is sandwiched between the OEM metal hood hinge and the original hood bolts, 2 per side. It appears that if there is any additional force, it will probably be tranfered to the metal hood hinge via the metal bracket and not to the fiberglass hood. I will admit that the hood, with the strut help does not feel like dead weight as it did before the struts, but I do not feel any fight or pressure being applied that may crack the hood.

J.D. at Champion Mustang worked with Cindy at Cal Pony and I had to buy nothing additional. My original kit came with 70lb. struts and they were exchanged for 90lb. struts at no extra cost. If someone were to order directly from J.D. at Champion and advise him that they have a Super Snake hood, he will make the proper arrangemets for the 90lb. struts with Cal Pony.

R

Thanks Robert.

Don

Now that the hood struts are installed, I can remove my prop rod and test fit my Bangastang Super Snake radiator cover. This cover cleans up the front under hood area and blends the Super Snake look better IMHO. To some, it is just bling...............I like the more finished/clean look.

Before

Picture1924-3.jpg

After

Picture1926-3.jpg

The cut out for the CSM tag

Picture1927-3.jpg

It still needs some adjusting and fasteners to see how it will finally fit best. I may re-stripe this cover, I am not sure yet.

R

Now that the hood struts are installed, I can remove my prop rod and test fit my Bangastang Super Snake radiator cover. This cover cleans up the front under hood area and blends the Super Snake look better IMHO. To some, it is just bling...............I like the more finished/clean look.

Before

Picture1924-3.jpg

After

Picture1926-3.jpg

The cut out for the CSM tag

Picture1927-3.jpg

It still needs some adjusting and fasteners to see how it will finally fit best. I may re-stripe this cover, I am not sure yet.

R

Robert i thought SAI recommended against hood struts due to the possibility of "warping" the hood? has anyne had this problem? I wen back to hood struts after the SS packagae was done for just that reason. would love to get rid of the hood strut, though.

I will go to the combo you have in a second if there is no issue.... looks great.

on another topic... have you been able to get those 335's under your car yet? You are a busy man this winter.

Ron

Robert i thought SAI recommended against hood struts due to the possibility of "warping" the hood? has anyne had this problem? I wen back to hood struts after the SS packagae was done for just that reason. would love to get rid of the hood strut, though.

I will go to the combo you have in a second if there is no issue.... looks great.

on another topic... have you been able to get those 335's under your car yet? You are a busy man this winter.

Ron

SPP sells Red Line (Shelby branded) hood struts for the Super Snake application.

Link here..............

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/s5mb-16612.htm

The Red Lines are a very nice quality product, but they pop rivet directly to the fiber glass hood via a mounting bracket. Not that this is an issue because I would guess that they have been thoroughly tested at SA, however, I did not really want to drill into my Super Snake fiber glass hood for the hood mounting point, plus the one hole on each side that also has to be drilled at the fender end of the strut.

These CP hood struts use a thick bracket at the hood end, and when I say thick I mean I "attempted" to bend it with my hands to see how strong it was, it did not flex at all. This leads me to believe that if I could not flex that bracket, opening and closing my hood would not flex it either, and all of the opening and closing force "should" be transfered to the metal hood hinge via this mounting bracket , and not the hood itself, once I installed it on my Super Snake . <<Those are just my thoughts.

I do have a set of the Shelby branded (Super Snake specific) hood struts also, and the matching Elites for the trunk. If I choose to drill holes in the future I may install them, but for right now, these OEM looking, completely bolt-on Cal Pony's seem to do exactly what I want, completely bolt-on hood struts that blend in as if they were installed by Ford on the assy. line.

The 335 install............................ that will begin in a couple of weeks. I need to drive the car to Tampa for the SS interior upgrade install first. That shop will be calling me within the next week or so, I don't want the car to be on jack stands when they call.

R

• 2 weeks later...

SPP sells Red Line (Shelby branded) hood struts for the Super Snake application.

Link here..............

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/s5mb-16612.htm

The Red Lines are a very nice quality product, but they pop rivet directly to the fiber glass hood via a mounting bracket. Not that this is an issue because I would guess that they have been thoroughly tested at SA, however, I did not really want to drill into my Super Snake fiber glass hood for the hood mounting point, plus the one hole on each side that also has to be drilled at the fender end of the strut.

These CP hood struts use a thick bracket at the hood end, and when I say thick I mean I "attempted" to bend it with my hands to see how strong it was, it did not flex at all. This leads me to believe that if I could not flex that bracket, opening and closing my hood would not flex it either, and all of the opening and closing force "should" be transfered to the metal hood hinge via this mounting bracket , and not the hood itself, once I installed it on my Super Snake . <<Those are just my thoughts.

I do have a set of the Shelby branded (Super Snake specific) hood struts also, and the matching Elites for the trunk. If I choose to drill holes in the future I may install them, but for right now, these OEM looking, completely bolt-on Cal Pony's seem to do exactly what I want, completely bolt-on hood struts that blend in as if they were installed by Ford on the assy. line.

The 335 install............................ that will begin in a couple of weeks. I need to drive the car to Tampa for the SS interior upgrade install first. That shop will be calling me within the next week or so, I don't want the car to be on jack stands when they call.

R

Robert you might get an angry phone call from my wife at some point.... because i've ordered the struts and the bangastang cover. I told her it was your fault. If you keep this up I'll go broke his winter! you're the devil!

question:did you order new black plastic trim rivets for the cover? looks like you have a few empty holes after the install- i assume thats for the black plastic trim rivets?

Ron

I just added the SAI strut kit to our hood and works great. I have read for the past two years some issues with hood damage on various kits. I am not going to single out any as I have seen good and bad with most all. Anyway I was real concerned while at our last car show with people getting too close to the prop rod and the possibility of it getting knocked out and the hood falling down so I decided to do something. I too was not real keen on drilling my hood but convinced myself with all the talk around this subject that SAI would have looked into this before endorsing and selling it. True or not? I don't know but it lets me sleep at night. I am also ordering a radiator cover and yes Robert I too convinced my wife it is your fault. Altough since it is her car you probably won't get a phone call.

Robert you might get an angry phone call from my wife at some point.... because i've ordered the struts and the bangastang cover. I told her it was your fault. If you keep this up I'll go broke his winter! you're the devil!

question:did you order new black plastic trim rivets for the cover? looks like you have a few empty holes after the install- i assume thats for the black plastic trim rivets?

Ron

Ron - This is a Great "looks" upgrade for these cars. Hummm, devil......?

The black plastic trim rivets...........If you enlarge the picture, they are laying in the top depression on each of the two Super Snake coolant caps. There is a long slender Craftsman screwdriver also laying on one of the coolant tanks.

My plan for these rivets,............since some of them are to be installed in a Black striped area and some are in the painted Red body color area of the radiator cover, I want them to blend in instead of standing out. I am probably going to disassemble these two piece plastic rivets and paint the four that need to be Red. Then once they are pressed in place they will blend in with the body color. <<It is all about the small details.........

I have a KR CF splitter for the front also, that will be a future install, advise your wife now!! Then we will move on to the CS tube front control arms, CS Billet LCA's for the rear, cooling system upgrade, big rear brakes, etc. I am ready to get some of this stuff on the car instead of sitting in boxes!!! Now I just need the time.........

In the middle of these items^^^^^^^, the 3.6LC is getting closer to its install time along with the Shelby billet fuel rails and SS coil covers.......

I'm waiting for the billet alum. Fays2.

R

I just added the SAI strut kit to our hood and works great. I have read for the past two years some issues with hood damage on various kits. I am not going to single out any as I have seen good and bad with most all. Anyway I was real concerned while at our last car show with people getting too close to the prop rod and the possibility of it getting knocked out and the hood falling down so I decided to do something. I too was not real keen on drilling my hood but convinced myself with all the talk around this subject that SAI would have looked into this before endorsing and selling it. True or not? I don't know but it lets me sleep at night. I am also ordering a radiator cover and yes Robert I too convinced my wife it is your fault. Altough since it is her car you probably won't get a phone call.

I take full responsibility.

That is a Great reason, safety. We can not be having a prop rod issue. I will remember that.

The installation of struts cleans up these cars so much, it is like a new world every time I open the hood, and it just stays up by itself.........."It's a miracle!!"

R

I have a KR CF splitter for the front also, that will be a future install,

Ya *sure* you wanna do that?

I had the opportunity to compare a Super Snake and a KR side-by-side on one of my trips to Shelby/Las Vegas.

To *me*, the SS splitter looks SOOOOO much better.

The KR splitter abrubtly stops and turns up to form a front "mud flap" if you will where as the SS splitter "curves" up to the wheel well opening.

Now, the KR is probably more aerodynamic than the SS since FoMoCo put a TON of wind tunnel testing into the KR but honestly, how often do you drive at 125+ MPH vs. the typical steet/hwy speed we all do? (my guesstimate: 99% normal, 1% high speed).

Have you compared them side-by-each?

Phill

Ya *sure* you wanna do that?

I had the opportunity to compare a Super Snake and a KR side-by-side on one of my trips to Shelby/Las Vegas.

To *me*, the SS splitter looks SOOOOO much better.

The KR splitter abrubtly stops and turns up to form a front "mud flap" if you will where as the SS splitter "curves" up to the wheel well opening.

Now, the KR is probably more aerodynamic than the SS since FoMoCo put a TON of wind tunnel testing into the KR but honestly, how often do you drive at 125+ MPH vs. the typical steet/hwy speed we all do? (my guesstimate: 99% normal, 1% high speed).

Have you compared them side-by-each?

Phill

I like the way the aggressive KR splitter looks around the front, more NASCAR, or even more Grand Am for that matter. The SS splitter is nice, and it is not like I am going to sell mine, but in the frontal area it looks regular production with a carbon fiber twist. I have always liked the KR splitter look, if it does not look right on my car, it will come back off and go on eBay. But I think the more aggressive look will outweigh the curve ups at the ends, we'll see. Aggressive is what the Super Snake is all about, both in look and in function.

Here is the Super Snake that we all remember as our first "visual" of what Shelby had to offer.................

Picture1366-1.jpg

The flattened/squared ends at the wheel openings don't look bad, do they? The splitter could almost be considered "agressive looking" in this area also?

One thing that I can say when looking at the portion of the KR splitter that is not seen when mounted, the KR splitter seems to go back considerably further under the car which, yes, would help for air flow under the car, if that is a goal, but I like the way that parts like brake ducts are protected from road debris, etc. It appears that with the KR splitter in place, the front brake ducts will lay on the splitter instead of hanging openly behind the lower grill openings.

R

R

Robert, thanks for the lead! I called the folks at Champion and I was informed that they are no longer selling the hood struts because they are now being marketed on Ebay. The nice salesperson at Champion emailed me the link to the Ebay listing so that I could make the purchase. After reviewing the listing, I thought that it would be a good idea to verify that the hood struts would also support the Super Snake hood by emailing the seller, their response was "no, they will not work with the Super Snake hood"

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/haiinc/m.html

If you have any other phone numbers or contact info on the same struts that you have purchased, I would very much appreciate it. A strong testimonial such as yours has alot of value to me. Thanks, Mark

Robert, thanks for the lead! I called the folks at Champion and I was informed that they are no longer selling the hood struts because they are now being marketed on Ebay. The nice salesperson at Champion emailed me the link to the Ebay listing so that I could make the purchase. After reviewing the listing, I thought that it would be a good idea to verify that the hood struts would also support the Super Snake hood by emailing the seller, their response was "no, they will not work with the Super Snake hood"

If you have any other phone numbers or contact info on the same struts that you have purchased, I would very much appreciate it. A strong testimonial such as yours has alot of value to me. Thanks, Mark

Mark - I have no other contact info. other than the email address that I use to contact JD at Champion. Actually, I may have another contact number here.................

The number for Cindy at Cal Pony is: 909 923 2357

She may refer you to an authorized vendor. Ask her how you can get 90lb. struts with the Cal Pony kit? How do they need to be ordered?

BTW - My Super Snake hood has been "up" since last Saturday afternoon. Those 90lb. struts seem to work well.

R

Hi Ron, apparently it was in the last day or so that they have had issue with the Ebay listings. Thanks to Robert, I contacted CPC and they directed me to a dealer in Columbus Ohio who was eager to take my order today. Thanks for the help! Mark

Hey everybody, I just got off the phone with J.D. at Champion Mustang. This is what is going on. The hood lift kit that Robert has are correct for the KR or Super Snake hood. Champion Mustang was the first to offer the 90 LBS rated hood lift kits but they quickly discontinued their hood lift kits as they found that Cal Pony Cars was selling hood lift kits below cost on eBay. Champion called Cal Pony Cars on this revelation, but they wouldn't admit they had an eBay store. I read the eBay listing and it's worded as the manufacturer selling the hood lit kits and it's in the same city of the manufacturer. However they weren't the same hood lift kits for the Super Snake hood. J.D. has been referring customers to the manufacturer's eBay store if they want to contact the seller (the parent company of Cal Pony Cars) to get the 90 LBS rated struts. Apparently the discovered connection of the eBay store to Cal Pony Cars has caused ripples in the water. Currently the Cal Pony Cars 90 LBS version is on hold until further notice. Champion Mustang is coming out with a stronger new hood lift kit specifically for the KR and Super Snake hoods with the 90 LBS rating made of steel. So I hope that clears up what's going on the hood lift front!

Cheers,

Crawlina

Hey everybody, I just got off the phone with J.D. at Champion Mustang. This is what is going on. The hood lift kit that Robert has are correct for the KR or Super Snake hood. Champion Mustang was the first to offer the 90 LBS rated hood lift kits but they quickly discontinued their hood lift kits as they found that Cal Pony Cars was selling hood lift kits below cost on eBay. Champion called Cal Pony Cars on this revelation, but they wouldn't admit they had an eBay store. I read the eBay listing and it's worded as the manufacturer selling the hood lit kits and it's in the same city of the manufacturer. However they weren't the same hood lift kits for the Super Snake hood. J.D. has been referring customers to the manufacturer's eBay store if they want to contact the seller (the parent company of Cal Pony Cars) to get the 90 LBS rated struts. Apparently the discovered connection of the eBay store to Cal Pony Cars has caused ripples in the water. Currently the Cal Pony Cars 90 LBS version is on hold until further notice. Champion Mustang is coming out with a stronger new hood lift kit specifically for the KR and Super Snake hoods with the 90 LBS rating made of steel. So I hope that clears up what's going on the hood lift front!

Cheers,

Crawlina

I also emailed J.D. and got a reply last night. From what I understand, the manufacture cost (at Cal Pony) and the wholesale cost (to Champion) was so close that CP decided to sell direct through eBay which is why there are "ripples in the water". For this reason Champion is no longer going to be offering CP struts since CP now has a (for lack of a better discription) "related business" selling on eBay. J.D. is currently working with another vendor to provide hood struts to match the ratings of what Cal Pony offers. It was simply a business decision according to J.D.

He mentioned nothing about Cal Pony not offering 90lb. struts or them being on hold. Basically he just said they (Champion) are no longer carrying CP struts and they will offer something else in the future, once that new vendor is providing the struts to Champion. I asked him to please email me the info. once he has it, and I will post it in this thread.

I'm sure that it is hard to offer a strut kit (with bolt-on brackets, painted) at a price that is anywhere close to a strut kit that provides no substantial bracketry and no paint work needed. To offer the nice kit that CP offers with painted brackets and be priced in the area where a "strut only" kit is, is almost impossible, especially if the other struts are manuf. outside of the U.S.

R

• 2 weeks later...

Beware of Flea Bay. Too many times bogus companies are on Ebay aka Flea Bay selling products just above cost to make a few dollars. This low pricing causes a problem for legit companies because their are selling below MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) which basically means a company cannot sell a product below the manufacturer suggested MAP. They tell you $99.00 but you turn around and sell it for $89.95. on Ebay just to move some inventory. Now all the legit companies that sell that product are upset. Ebay is hard to police for manufacturers because it's so large, so companies get away with a lot of low ball pricing.

Cal Pony Cars is a manufacturer they don't sell retail....PERIOD. CPC has distributors all over the country why would they sell on Ebay.....they don't have to. Their hood struts are great and don't require any drilling to install plus they are color matched. I've had them on my car for three years with no problem.

Beware of Flea Bay. Too many times bogus companies are on Ebay aka Flea Bay selling products just above cost to make a few dollars. This low pricing causes a problem for legit companies because their are selling below MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing) which basically means a company cannot sell a product below the manufacturer suggested MAP. They tell you $99.00 but you turn around and sell it for $89.95. on Ebay just to move some inventory. Now all the legit companies that sell that product are upset. Ebay is hard to police for manufacturers because it's so large, so companies get away with a lot of low ball pricing.

Cal Pony Cars is a manufacturer they don't sell retail....PERIOD. CPC has distributors all over the country why would they sell on Ebay.....they don't have to. Their hood struts are great and don't require any drilling to install plus they are color matched. I've had them on my car for three years with no problem.

I don't think anyone is saying that CP is selling retail/direct outside of their vendor network, or at least from what I understand that is not the case. From what I understand, it is the "parent company" of CP that is offering CP products for sale. Is there a parent company or other "friendly" who owns, or sells for Cal Pony? If there is a parent company or friendly group who owns CP, they can do anything that they want, they call the shots. If they feel that the profit margin is too close by only selling at wholesale to a network of vendors vs, what it actually costs make the item, they "could" choose to use an alternate in-house source (parent company) to sell product and gain all profit themselves. This is not uncommon, eBay or other.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ "If" a selling practice like this were to be verified by the network of vendors, it could very easliy cause "ripples in the water".^^^^^^^^^^^

One of the main questions that I have had in this thread was "manufacturing cost vs. wholesale cost vs. retail cost"? I agree that CP offers a very nice hood strut set up. I also know that for CP to make $$$, they have to be competitive with the other hood strut manufacturers in the world. The question is, can CP stay in business and continue to offer their quality hood strut kit and sell it for the cost of other hood strut kits that DO NOT include two custom cast metal bolt-on brackets with color to match paint (or powder coat)? <<<These brackets alone are an additional cost to manufacture that most of the others do not have, especially color match. To keep a reasonable profit margin, and include the "extra's" in their kit, has it come to the point where they need to do some "creative selling" for an acceptible profit margin on the quality kit that they sell?

R

Here's an update on the hood strut kit;

hood strut kit arrived with 90# gas struts as ordered, paint match was good, however when I installed the drivers side hood bracket and tightened the bolts, the cast bracket snapped just above the top (front) mounting bolt. I called CPC and they promptly sent me a replacement at no charge (excellent customer service!). I found that there is a slight buldge in the hood that the bracket makes contact with and possibly may have caused the fracture. I am recommending that if the bulge/bracket contact is experianced when mounting, you should shim the bracket for better clearance because cast alluminum does not flex well.

Mark

Archived