TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 TIRE INFLATOR KITS ON EBAY

VYOL8TR

Amazing The word a week ago was Shelbys were on hold do to the lack of these tire kits . Looks like this guy got Fords order.

That was the word 4 weeks ago. Trust me. I am living it. :rant:

I would never use the sealant in a tire, unless I was in dire straits, but I wonder how long the sealants shelf life is?

That's a good question. Can you buy replacement sealent as a single item? Would an auto parts store have it of is it a Ford item only? :headspin:

Not sure, but it sounds like no. I have always heard that the sealants are not good for the tire or the aluminum rim, so not sure I would use it.

Ok, here's the deal. I worked at a tire shop for 6 years, so I've seen plenty of this stuff. There are pros and cons to sealant.

Pros

1) If it works, you can drive home!

2) Takes less space than a spare tire, less weight too

Cons

1) It will only seal small leaks. If you drove over a screwdriver and it puts a 1/4" hole in your tire, forget it.

2) When you put it in, you'll notice the instructions say to immediately drive it. That's because you want the sealant to fly around inside the tire and coat the inside...not sit all in one place. If you don't do this, you'll have a glob of weight in one place, your tire/wheel will be out of balance, and you'll feel it.

3) The stuff is messy...warn the technician you put it in BEFORE they pop the bead from the tire or they'll get a face full of dust

4) The tire tech will have to clean any goop off the wheel and they'll have to clean it from the small area where the leak in the tire is so they can properly patch it. IF YOU FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS AND DROVE IT right after putting it in, very little of the goop will be on the wheel...it will spin out and be in the tire. Even though all of this is more work for the tech, they don't charge any more for it...they just cuss at you after you leave. :banghead:

5) I'm not sure whether Ford recommends you can re-use the tire after using the inflator....they MIGHT recommend a new tire...with the inflator only being used to get you to the gas station....again...I'm not sure about this...someone needs to read the manual.

So there you have it...pros and cons. I prefer NOT to use it...but if you're on the way to your child's wedding and have a flat...what else you gonna do Willis? Wait an hour for a tow truck, then pay $125 to get your car towed? The best bet would be to haul a spare tire/wheel in the trunk....if you can find something that works.

Dave

That was the word 4 weeks ago. Trust me. I am living it. :rant:

I`am sure there willbe a celebration when you get your car Grabber , thought it would have arrived this week , could be due to the bad weather we are having.

Ok, here's the deal. I worked at a tire shop for 6 years, so I've seen plenty of this stuff. There are pros and cons to sealant...

Thanks for the info, Dave. I've heard that you should replace the tire if you use sealant...Even if you follow the directions, if the car sits in one spot on a hot say, the sealant can soften and drip down, leaving you with an out-of-balance tire. Just what I heard from a tire guy.

I would never use the sealant in a tire, unless I was in dire straits, but I wonder how long the sealants shelf life is?

I don't think I would go over 4 to 5 years. You can buy this kit and sealant under another name btw, but can't come up with the brand name right now. think it was cheaper than going thru ford.

also, was reading last night, and realized that everyone will be having to pull their tires off, if not already replaced, in a few years and replace the battery in each tpms sensor. this car will definitely involve some upkeep.

Ok, here's the deal. I worked at a tire shop for 6 years, so I've seen plenty of this stuff. There are pros and cons to sealant.

Pros

1) If it works, you can drive home!

2) Takes less space than a spare tire, less weight too

Cons

1) It will only seal small leaks. If you drove over a screwdriver and it puts a 1/4" hole in your tire, forget it.

2) When you put it in, you'll notice the instructions say to immediately drive it. That's because you want the sealant to fly around inside the tire and coat the inside...not sit all in one place. If you don't do this, you'll have a glob of weight in one place, your tire/wheel will be out of balance, and you'll feel it.

3) The stuff is messy...warn the technician you put it in BEFORE they pop the bead from the tire or they'll get a face full of dust

4) The tire tech will have to clean any goop off the wheel and they'll have to clean it from the small area where the leak in the tire is so they can properly patch it. IF YOU FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS AND DROVE IT right after putting it in, very little of the goop will be on the wheel...it will spin out and be in the tire. Even though all of this is more work for the tech, they don't charge any more for it...they just cuss at you after you leave. :banghead:

5) I'm not sure whether Ford recommends you can re-use the tire after using the inflator....they MIGHT recommend a new tire...with the inflator only being used to get you to the gas station....again...I'm not sure about this...someone needs to read the manual.

So there you have it...pros and cons. I prefer NOT to use it...but if you're on the way to your child's wedding and have a flat...what else you gonna do Willis? Wait an hour for a tow truck, then pay $125 to get your car towed? The best bet would be to haul a spare tire/wheel in the trunk....if you can find something that works.

Dave

I carry one of those puncture repair kits; pull out whatever caused the leak, push in the caulking material, and air up with the compressor (you can use it in the air only mode). Will require some crawling around the car tho since no jack is included :banghead:

Archived