TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mid Mount Mufflers?

TrakRat

Hey all,

I'd like to direct this toward the 2011 GT500 crowd but anyone please feel free to chime in.

I have been wondering if anyone has tried a mid mound muffler setup like the prior generation Mustangs had. I know space is tight so a small muffler is in order. I have seen the Roush and Pypes offerings and they seem alright, but have not heard anyone throw a Borla in there. Is there enough room?

Here is why I ask. A Borla Stinger kit on a Terminator sounds amazing (yes it does drone), but Stingers on an S197 don't even come close, they just seem to crack and pop a lot.... and I would probably blame that on the rear mount of the mufflers. Any science to back this idea up?

On a side note, the MMS mufflers in the videos I have watched seem pretty good, but I have yet to hear them in person.

The Roush Extreme O/R Cat-Backs have mid-pipe resonators. Here a link to my set-up: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61404-exhaust-roush-extreme/page__p__1045578__hl__roush__fromsearch__1#entry1045578 - Minimal drone comparable to the OEM set-up. While most axle-backs drone to some extent, Corsas being the exception, I agree with your theory about mid-muffs vs. drone on the S197. I've read recently that Borla has just completed a set-up for the 11s... not sure whether it was on here, or fordgt500.com.

i have a 2010 TT Shelby with a roush system that has been modified(replaced the roush resonators with 5" round magnaflow mufflers).

the car sounds great but im havin an issue with the mufflers hangin too low. my car has a prokit on it so its not that low but i have to be real careful.

im in the process of lookin for a solution...

i have a 2010 TT Shelby with a roush system that has been modified(replaced the roush resonators with 5" round magnaflow mufflers).

the car sounds great but im havin an issue with the mufflers hangin too low. my car has a prokit on it so its not that low but i have to be real careful.

im in the process of lookin for a solution...

Curious... Why did you replace the Roush resonators w/Magnaflows? How did the sound change?

• 2 weeks later...

Curious... Why did you replace the Roush resonators w/Magnaflows? How did the sound change?

the Roush was too raw sounding for what i was lookin for...it almost sounded like a truck with glasspacks....

and the reason i went with the roush was i knew the turbos would tone down the exhaust so i wanted somethin

that would be open enough to regain the sound. but for some reason, it didnt go as planned. the Roush kit is deffinately a great kit.

it sounded good half throttle and wide open but at idle and part throttle, it just wasnt for me so i ordered some 5" round magnaflows

and put them in place of the Roush muffler. Much better but too quiet until WOT. it sounded like a Mustang again and even more so

since the mufflers were before the axle and not at the rear of the car. so im still toyin with a few ideas...im just tired of spending $ on exhaust.

im fixin to do one of two things....replace my current magnaflows with some 4" round magnaflows(so we can tuck the mufflers up and i can gain about

an inch of clearance) or im gonna have to do what i really hate to do and ga back with a rear mount muffler...probably either the Kooks, Borla stingers,

or Magnaflow. i know a guy who runs the same current setup i have but his car has 20s on it and sits about an inch or so higher than mine and he has

no trouble at all.

The reasoning for the different sounds is that the mufflers are so far back. the 04 and older Mustangs there was the tailpipes after the mufflers. Most of the mufflers that sounded great on the 04 and older, sounded bad on the 05+, especially when you add headers...that is why I developed my MMS mufflers...over 1000 sets sold and people love them...

Alex

Hey all,

I'd like to direct this toward the 2011 GT500 crowd but anyone please feel free to chime in.

I have been wondering if anyone has tried a mid mound muffler setup like the prior generation Mustangs had. I know space is tight so a small muffler is in order. I have seen the Roush and Pypes offerings and they seem alright, but have not heard anyone throw a Borla in there. Is there enough room?

Here is why I ask. A Borla Stinger kit on a Terminator sounds amazing (yes it does drone), but Stingers on an S197 don't even come close, they just seem to crack and pop a lot.... and I would probably blame that on the rear mount of the mufflers. Any science to back this idea up?

On a side note, the MMS mufflers in the videos I have watched seem pretty good, but I have yet to hear them in person.

Room is not there unless you go with resonators, i.e. Roush, etc.

And yes, the problem is placement of the mufflers compared to prior years. No tail pipes after the mufflers.......

I've tried over a dozen set-ups. It became more challenging with the headers. But I have to say the MMS muffs definitely sound the best. I suggest you find some in person

to check out.

g/l

Room is not there unless you go with resonators, i.e. Roush, etc.

And yes, the problem is placement of the mufflers compared to prior years. No tail pipes after the mufflers.......

I've tried over a dozen set-ups. It became more challenging with the headers. But I have to say the MMS muffs definitely sound the best. I suggest you find some in person

to check out.

g/l

Thanks 09Troblemaker...Alot of others agree...I have made and sold over 1000 sets of these. I too, think they sound the best. I have been having trouble having them made fast enough for the demand. Every time 20 sets are made, they are spoken for.

ALex

Archived