TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Side Oiler Info

danelson155

I was doing a search on Side Oilers and a link brought me to you and a guy who was asking about some motor in a boat that was claimed to be a side oiler. I bought a Christ Craft Constallation that has TWO of what I believe to be side oilers. I look at all the pictures on the net and they appear to be the same. My question is where do I find the casting numbers? The ones on the cylinder heads are easy. These motors have 300hp stickers on the valve covers and say "INTERCEPTOR", Mallory distributors with cables and Carter AFB carbs. I AM NOT A DREAMER. I HAVE these engines

I was doing a search on Side Oilers and a link brought me to you and a guy who was asking about some motor in a boat that was claimed to be a side oiler. I bought a Christ Craft Constallation that has TWO of what I believe to be side oilers. I look at all the pictures on the net and they appear to be the same. My question is where do I find the casting numbers? The ones on the cylinder heads are easy. These motors have 300hp stickers on the valve covers and say "INTERCEPTOR", Mallory distributors with cables and Carter AFB carbs. I AM NOT A DREAMER. I HAVE these engines

There are quire a few experts on 427FEs in the Cobra forum at www.clubcobra.com. Search for relevant topics first. They will want casting numbers and some other things (that might not be visible) but for sure they will want pictures (we do too :) )

One of the things I heard is that the marine applications ran the engine crank "the other direction" so couldn't be used in automotive applications (unless you want to go 200MPH backwards. :)

there are many in marine apps...Im the guy and I still have not got my hands on the engine. Its still there.

From my knowledge of reverse rotation marine mills is that the cam,starter, alt, and dist are different otherwise same...

one of my favorite past boats had twin 360 chryslers and I installed a reverse rotation long block in it myself.

with the twin afbs and big marine cams you had no doubt you were in a powerboat...;@)

i have also seen a 426 hemi in a boat as well...engines rule!

although i will only own diesel boats from now until forever...;@)

The marine motors come in both rotations especially in twin applications (one of each). The biggest problem with the reverse rotation motors is the cam and crank. If you replace them it's not a problem. Another trick with the cranks is to take the directional grooves off the rear seal area. They try and pump the oil out of the motor because of the reverse rotation. With the grooves removed and new seal materials they work fine. You will find a casting number on the skirt of the motor but what you're really looking for is screw in frost plugs and cross bolts through the bottom sides of the block with allen headed socket screws right above them on the left side. There is an FEforum you could also check out.

Archived