TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Deep Draw Hood

4.6 SHLB

Why should I or other Shelby GT OR GT/SC owners have to pay to play especially if their car is still under warranty and had or will have original hood scoop issues ? Let alone pay a premium price for a car that's hood was not what I would say made to manufacture standards. The new price is not right or fair to those that paid $ 9,000 plus for the Shelby GT package and another $ 10,000 plus for the GT/SC PACKAGE.IMHO. I would buy one if they were at the original price they had when SAI 1st offered us the hood to help resolve the continued hood scoop issue. THEY SHOULD NOT BE TRYING TO MAKE A PROFIT ON US FOR A SECOND TIME ON THEIR HOOD SCOOP PROBLEM. :headscratch:

Respectfully,

Scotty

Scotty,

Wasn't the replacement for the CS6/Hertz hood, not the deep draw hood?

Dave

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotty,

Wasn't the replacement for the CS6/Hertz hood, not the deep draw hood?

Dave

Hey Dave,

When I had talk with Bud when he was running the modd shop I had been given an option of having my stock scoop redone by SAI ; which I chose ; or they were also offering Shelby GT and GT/SC ownerS the deep draw hood for about $ 800.00.

I would really like somebody from SAI to step up to the plate and stop with all the mystery on what n how hard this hood is going to be to prepped n how much SAI WANTS TO CHARGE US FOR THE NEW HOOD INSTALL W/ PAINT.

I have a couple other items i would like to have done to ; forged motor, piston, heads,etc ; built by SAI n this is certainly hindering my decision making process.

Scotty

Guys I would recommend calling or emailing Juan. He really seems to know what parts are there. He will actually get up and check for you. Concerning fitment- Im sure he could ask one of the shop guys.

One last note- I am getting the feeling that every CS6 and CS8 part is going to be discontinued eventually; since the design was originally for those. I hope you guys can get the hoods in time.

and Wells Fargo to see where the closest armored car is to hold up........ :bag:

That thought has crossed my mind more than a few times. :bag: :bag:

.....................................................................................Scott n Doug

:hide::hide::hide::hide::hide::hide::hide::hide:

I ordered the hood last week, it shipped today, I was told by Kameron that he checked with the shop guys and the new hood definately clears the whipple.....even says that on my receipt.

I'll let everyone know all about it when it arrives in a few days.

Hey Wick,

let us know about this. I might go this route if not too much of a hassle and sell my CS6/Hertz hood.

Dare I say, cut some holes in your current hood? I thought they were the same except for functionality? Just seems like a lot of hassle.

You just can't "cut" holes in a CS6 hood..

They are a two piece laminate design and if air pressure would get between the sections

it would blow the hood apart.

You would have to fiberglass and finish an opening to reduce it to a single layer but seal off the surrounding material.

This process will also weaken the structure.

I had actually thought about doing this and installing a 2010 style hood grill but the cost to finish the hood would have been the previous cost of the deep draw hood.

now that the cost is much higher for the new hood I may re-think this option.

The other thing is the clearance issue, the CS6 style hood rubs in a couple of spots including the Paxton style s/c head unit.

I can't even install a strut tower brace.

There is no way your going to install a big blower and use the CS6 style hood.

Hmm..... so the fiberglass is actually two hand laid pieces? I understand your concern with separation. How about a series of 1/2" holes with a drill? You should be able to keep it intact, and still get some venting through the holes?

I wouldn't try it...

think about it this way...

a hood section 36" in diameter exposed to just 10 psi would generate 5 tons of opposing force.

The only thing you could safely do would be manufacture a two piece assembly that screws together to make a sealed tunnel port through the hood.

Drill a large diameter hole insert one half on the top with sealant, install the other half through the bottom with sealant and screw them together.

Alright, thus sandwiching the two hood layers together. That would work. Did I mention how much I hate fiberglass? LOL. Well, I do.

I made some custom fit goalie masks back in the day and I worked with it quite a bit..I hated it then and nothing has changed.

I'd like to see what carbon fibre is like to work with.

I know that slimers hood was modified to become functional, maybe Terry can let us know how his hood is holding up over time. IIRC he cut the inner layer out and had it the edges of it glassed to the outer layer. My bodyshop refused to replicate it as they said the hood would be weakend but if its held up ok I might have it done rather than spend $1300 + shipping + paint & prep.

• 2 years later...

I ordered the hood last week, it shipped today, I was told by Kameron that he checked with the shop guys and the new hood definately clears the whipple.....even says that on my receipt.

I'll let everyone know all about it when it arrives in a few days.

Hi!
I was digging up some old posts researching hood options. I had to cut a notch in my Hertz/CS6 hood to accommodate for my Whipple pulley. I'm running the large pulley (automatic car). Am I to understand you also have a Whipple, and was able to fit the Deep Draw without changing out the engine mounts? What size pulley are you using, and do you have any rubbing on the air intake tube (I do)?
Thanks,
Troy

no engine mount change, not sure what pulley I have, its a stock Ford Racing Whipple set-up....dont think the pulleys were ever upgraded or changed from stock

other than the Whipple set-up.

there is a very slight rubbing on the intake tube, mine is carbon fiber and there is a blemish the size of a dime on it.

I use the soft side of velcro on the hood area making contact and no new marks are left since.

Keep in mind, Michael has a 2 3/8" drop Deep Draw (nicknamed the "mid-draw"). It was only made for a limited time. Most Deep Draw hoods had a deeper 2 5/8" drop.

Read below:

The “Deep Draw” hood has been through a few versions, in chronological order:

1. The CS6 / CS8 / Hertz hood: This is a “shallow” hood, with non-functioning front vents.

2. The “Deep Draw” or “Terlingua” hood. A true “deep” hood (2 and 5/8” drop at the front vents) with functional front vents. This hood clears stock N/A or Paxton-supercharged setups. It is also referred to as a “V6 Terlingua Hood”

3. The rarest hood is nicknamed the “Mid Draw” or “Medium Draw” hood. Same as #2, but with a slightly less aggressive (2 and 3/8”) drop at the front vents to allow clearance for Whipple or KB blowers. It is also referred to as a “V8 Terlingua Hood”. This was only made for a short time, sporadically, and is not currently being manufactured.

BTW, remember, each hood is handmade, and the vents are cut out by hand. So the vent size and placement can vary, but overall, the three models above constitute the lineup.

Number 2 will fit all cars with the exception of Whipple or KB supercharged models. For THOSE, an engine lowering kit is available as an option; this gives the #2 hood the proper clearance. This is the procedure our Production Department uses; there are no adverse effects.

Jer

I have the First edition hood that was for the Terlingua and I also have the rare mid draw hood for sale. What do you guys think they are worth? I will be selling my entire Shelby collection off soon. I ran into some major finanical issues and have no choice.

you have a picture of both hoods

Whipple guys & gals, jump on the mid draw. My understanding no modification to hood necessary. The deep draw (Terlingua hood) works fine with the Paxton or N/A cars but would require lowering motor mounts for the whipple. Jer put a kit together for this option when the deep draw was available. The Hertz hood does require a cut out for the whipple and works fine with no modification for the Paxton. Just sharing as I have been down this road.

Good luck with the financial issues Nordic.

• 6 months later...

Archived