TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Adjusting the Gurney Flap

racin' randy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A true Gurney flap is fixed at a right angle to the pressure side surface of the wing. You can certainly install flaps with different angles but I, also, do not know of a "tuneable" Gurney flap.

Jim

Ford states that it is a tuneable gurney flap...I believe it's on their website and in the manual. But that's bullshit obviously.

You mean bullshit like the time you have listed on the timeslip database?? :redcard:

It's bullshit just like the aluminum driveshaft they claim we have and the 6 speed manual transmission (which is really just a 5 speed because 2nd gear doesn't work).

Nice one,

Don't forget to add our 2 piston rear calipers to the bullshit list.

It's bullshit just like the aluminum driveshaft they claim we have and the 6 speed manual transmission (which is really just a 5 speed because 2nd gear doesn't work).

2nd gear is the granny gear silly. :hysterical:

Nice one,

Don't forget to add our 2 piston rear calipers to the bullshit list.

They have 2 piston rear calipers....one piston on each rear caliper = two pistons. Lol

Actually, the Gurney flap is "adjustable" - on or off. You can replace it with the stick-on insert from the baseline GT500 which has no raised rear edge - or omit it altogether for all the aerodynamic difference it would make.

Ford depicts it as a Bugatti Veyron's smart spoiler which relies upon accelerometers and all manner of telemetry to determine optimal down-force and adjust the extension and angle required to achieve it. It's all more than just a little bit silly by comparison.

Actually, the Gurney flap is "adjustable" - on or off. You can replace it with the stick-on insert from the baseline GT500 which has no raised rear edge - or omit it altogether for all the aerodynamic difference it would make.

My 2010 is a "base" GT500 and it has a raised rear edge on the wickerbill.

Having said that, I have read that the 2011 SVT Perf. Package Gurney flap is more aggressive than the 2011 base model and the 2010 GT500 so MAYBE you can interchange wickerbills (use a SVTPP version) and change the aero balance of the car.

But the stock/OEM wickerbill on the 2010 is NOT adjustable. It's held on with sticky foam and would be a real MF'r to change.

But it DOES have a raised trailing edge. I just went out to my car and checked.

Phill

Having said that, I have read that the 2011 SVT Perf. Package Gurney flap is more aggressive than the 2011 base model and the 2010 GT500 so MAYBE you can interchange wickerbills (use a SVTPP version) and change the aero balance of the car.

But the stock/OEM wickerbill on the 2010 is NOT adjustable. It's held on with sticky foam and would be a real MF'r to change.

Phill

Does the 2011 SVT pkg gurney flap look different from the 2010 stock GT500 flap?

Phill

Don't know which piece they actually happened to stick to your spoiler at Flat Rock, but the above photo is of the non-SVTPP gurney flap which is flat across the entire expanse and does not include the raised lip across the entire expanse of the back edge. Perhaps your particular car was mis-manufactured.

nosvtgurney.JPG?psid=1

Don't know which piece they actually happened to stick to your spoiler at Flat Rock, but the above photo is of the non-SVTPP gurney flap which is flat across the entire expanse and does not include the raised lip across the entire expanse of the back edge. Perhaps your particular car was mis-manufactured.

nosvtgurney.JPG?psid=1

do you have a couch in your garage,or a GT500 in your living room,with nice tiled floor

No. I had a 2010 and now I have 2011 SVTPP and it's the same exact thing. Again, it's all bullshit marketing speak...like my timeslip in the database.

Not that any of us aren't grown-up enough to realize when we've been marketed to (or that those who own shares in any marketing-driven enterprise don't depend upon it being done well), but if Ford dumbed-down even something so trivial as a piece of plastic for the purpose of helping to create a "performance package" that would give it back, I'm pretty disappointed - my fealty notwithstanding. Skilled marketing needn't be disingenuous.

It particularly disappointing amid other decisions like the dumbing-down of heated seats and an available back-up camera and reverse sensing system - options the model should include if ONLY for the purpose of not breeding resentment among those willing to spend $60K for a Mustang to begin with. Ford has the FR500C to offer buyers who want feature-stripped performance vehicles - and even then, stripped only for the sake of improving performance.

For Ford's product and marketing people to share nods and winks over a piece of molded plastic without attending to even-bigger matters like ensuring an all-season wheel and tire option existed for those who don't want the additional performance they're willing to pay for to reduce its usable envelope. How many who bought the SVTPP wouldn't have ALSO spent ANOTHER $2,500 to have an alternative, all-season "street" wheel and tire set to go with it?

/endofrant

I'd presumed the discussion pertained to the 2011 MY - and not the flap that may have been standard on all 2010 MY GT500's.

^ Just get a non PP model if you want all seasons from the factory. You're not going to be able to find a all season tire that can pull 1g on a PP GT500 or any other high performance car like a Z06/ZR1 or Ferrari's. Just pick up a set of cheap 2010 18's and put some gnarly all seasons on them or sell the PP rims and tires for $3,500 and buy whatever you want.

^ Just get a non PP model if you want all seasons from the factory. You're not going to be able to find a all season tire that can pull 1g on a PP GT500 or any other high performance car like a Z06/ZR1 or Ferrari's. Just pick up a set of cheap 2010 18's and put some gnarly all seasons on them or sell the PP rims and tires for $3,500 and buy whatever you want.

It's not that simple either. With the 3.73 drive ratio and suspension tuning being limited to the SVTPP, it's not just limited to wheels and tires - and even the baseline GT500's tires are summer-only. Requiring buyers who want broader drivability to forgo the SVTPP makes as little sense as voluntarily forgoing them or Ford not offering a value enhancing option buyers would be willing to pay for. that's already sold through Ford Racing - but without the benefit of being able to be financed at the time of purchase or warrantied with the rest of the vehicle - BOTH being matters with a specific value attached that Ford could pay for.

Buying a less capable vehicle to avoid buying additional wheel and tire purchase is as foolish as Ford not locking-in that incremental trade for itself. Why give buyers an excuse to not spend the money? The next step is to have them questioning why they'd buy a GT500 when the GT can be driven year-round.

a 5 speed!!! Now that's funny!!! LOL!!! :hysterical3:

Madlock, I like the couch in the garage, and the nicely tiled floors.... Cool!

Putting that on my garage to do's!

Hey, that gurney flap adjustment thing makes me think of those God Awful Chrysler Cross fires with the extending wing...

I blew past one on the freeway yesterday, (Wing extended) with con trails from the awesome amount of down force being created at 68 mph... Made me laugh! :D

Archived