TEAM SHELBY FORUM

headers yes or no?

MichaelP

hi everyone.

my car is in shop getting ready for some road racing later this year. the front suspension is changing and it was brought to my attention that this would be a good time to upgrade to different headers.

I don't have any engine mods yet. I don't drive the car on street and I'm probably NOT going to modify engine that much to increase HP dramatically.

Is It worth (in terms of better exhaust flow and maybe increase in HP) to do this? are there any disadvantages?

thanks

mike.

Absolutely!

Contact Alex, aka, vapor08GT500

Check out his Dynatech header setup on my Super Snake:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57401-dbackgs-super-snake-vert-upgrades/page__st__0

http://www.mackenziemustang.com/

http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatech_USbrake/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=Dynatech

Alex will get you set up on a complete system.

No real disadvantages as long as you go with the dynotechs so you can drop the tranny for a clutch replacement without removing the headers. They are a pita to install and kinda expensive, but you'll save some weight and add about 25-40rwhp if your car is stock. It will also drop your boost about a 1lb. because their less restrictive. Headers really come alive with high hp applications, but if you can afford it why not.

• 2 weeks later...

ok. thanks for advice. I will check out dynatech.

m

You will absolutley love the sound of The 1 7/8 Dynatechs with the 3 inch collectors. zero fitment issues and to me it is my favorite mod.

The Camaros and Ricers will all be wondering what you have stuffed under the hood as you blow by them! :superhero:

You will absolutley love the sound of The 1 7/8 Dynatechs with the 3 inch collectors. zero fitment issues and to me it is my favorite mod.

The Camaros and Ricers will all be wondering what you have stuffed under the hood as you blow by them! :superhero:

What mufflers are you running?

• 6 months later...

Get the dynatechs, i have them and love them! everyone will compliment you on the sound and they have the best performance results. Get with vapor08gt500 (alex) he supplies them and you wont regret it!

++ get the whole dynatec package and ask Alex about his mufflers. .

The OEM headers flow pretty good. There's no significate gains in HP. Installation is difficult. Money can be better spent elsewhere IMO. .

They are a pita to install and kinda expensive, but you'll save some weight and add about 25-40rwhp if your car is stock. It will also drop your boost about a 1lb. because their less restrictive. Headers really come alive with high hp applications, but if you can afford it why not.

:shrug:

Is there any data to support either claim?

The OEM manifolds don't look too efficient.

Does anyone have any "before and after" dyno pulls?

We can speculate all day... :banghead:

• 2 months later...

I had the Dynatech headers with 2.5" high flow cats installed a couple weeks ago as well as the Alex's MAC mufflers. The sound is nice but if I could go back in time I wouldn't have gotten them. The headers actually come down below the frame of the car and since I'm slightly lowered using the Ford Racing FR3 package I scrape on speed bumps all the time. I'm going to be going with some 18" wheels and the tires on the set will drop me about another 1/2" so its gonna scrape even worse. I went with the high flow cats since I'm in CA and I didnt want a cop to look under my car and notice the lack of cats. Now I see this on another forum and I'm leaning more and more to just going back to stock exhaust manifold and my Roush Extreme catback. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/802858-pulled-dynatech-cat-morning.html

I initially kept the Roush after I put the headers on but it was Nascar loud/obnoxious. I kind of expected that so I already had purchased a set of mufflers from Alex. They made the car sound a ton better but the tips on these mufflers were all scratched up and looked like crap. I was too eager to get some mufflers on the car that I didn't bother sending them back to MAC or Alex.

I don't have the before and after data yet. Need to go back to have the car dyno'ed again but wanted to wait until I got a few other suspension parts so I could get everything done at once. I went with the American Racing Headers (ARH), high flow cats with H pipe configuration. Now the car has an "in your face" sound to it. Definately no sneaking home late as it is loud. I'm going to add a second set of mufflers (there is post around here somewhere about that modification that will get rid of the tinny sound the exhaust now has).

RE: Dynatech vs ARH. Dynatech are more reasonibly priced but I have heard from several sources that they have had some quality control issues in the past with their welds. Not sure if that is still the case but I felt this was a one time and done type thing so I went for the few extra dollars and got the ARH. Also, Dynatech didn't have an H pipe for the 2011 when I first started looking. As far as quality - very nice fit and looks like a quality product.

Archived