TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe spots

My almost 4 year old SGT (0360) has a severe case of stripe spotting. I've tried everything up to and including rubbing compound with no luck. Anybody have the same problem and any suggestions?

Yes, everyone with a Shelby GT knows of this issue and if indeed the stripes were made by 3M I find this shocking. Basically, if the spots are left on there more than 3 days, your screwed. When its bad enough take them off and have them painted on

They will need to be replaced.

There are TONS of threads on this topic going back three years with hints and tips on care to prevent this, options to try when replacing, and how to properly install. Search for "stripe" or "stripes".

BTW: The stripes are made by Oracal NOT 3M.

A good sign shop can replace the stripes for you, shop around and find the best price, I had the guy who lettered my race cars do it and he charged me around 300.00.

A good sign shop can replace the stripes for you, shop around and find the best price, I had the guy who lettered my race cars do it and he charged me around 300.00.

stormeaston

how are your stripes holding up and did they use the 3M brand stripes?

Laurence

using Mr Farmdogs stripe kit...going on Friday will post puxs...the originals went spotty spotty...

puxs? :hysterical:

3 years on mine - just starting to show small spots here and there. Zaino clay bar, wax, polish, etc. has kept them at bay for now, but eventually I'll get miffed enough to replace or get them painted on!

Sam

• 3 months later...

I finally got fed up with the stripe spotting problem, after 3 sets of stripes were replaced by the dealer (several weeks without my car each time) I now have them painted on. Very happy with the results. However, I now have a set of brand new replacement hood stripes (only the hood stripes not the top, deck lid or bumpers). Any one interested in them???

Bob

4.6 SHLB

To my knowledge, there's 3 very common vinyl stripe manufacturers- Oracal, 3M and Avery. Each have a standard and high performance brand. I just recently destriped a SGT hood scoop and SGT front bumper, and I don't think it was 3M. The stripes were very thick and very firm. Just get the stripes replaced with another vinyl set, and you're be good for another 5 years.

Archived