TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Has Anyone Put a Hook on Their KR

terumi71

The next big hurdle in getting the KR on the track for an occassional track day is the hook should the car break down on the track. Has anyone installed a hook for this event?

I think optimum is to have the car towed from underneath the car. Then of course you run into the tow rope hitting the splitter. Most optimum in taking out all the guess work is having the hook stick out past the bumper on the front of the car which I'd rather avoid just for the asthetics.

The other option is no hook and have them latch onto the strut tower brace. But then the car has to be towed with the hood up and it would be just my luck it would be a windy day and the hood blow off or get torqued around and beatup.

Anyone dealt with this? Thanks!

Steve

What about doing something through the grille? That way it could be replaced or returned to original at a lower cost and without having to go through Shelby for parts (I.e. Stripes) if you had to replace the front bumper. It would be great to use something like the BMW guys use, which is a threaded bolt with a hook on it...that way it wouldn't be there all the time. Not sure how you could set that up but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

???? break down ???? I drive my car that spirited thru the mountains, as compared to many track days. If you think your going to break, you have no confidence in your car. Unless of course you decide to do some agricultural racing off into the marbles. I've run the crap out of 30+ year old vintage cars on many, many track days, and never needed a tow.

My opinion, me thinks you're overthinking this....

lol.....true. Is just my nature to run the, "what if's". Don't NEED the hook. But WANT the peace of mind. Even so, as to not ruin the esthetics of the car, it sounds like nobody has done this.

Getting the car dyno'ed today for a baseline before engine work. Going to video it.

lol.....true. Is just my nature to run the, "what if's". Don't NEED the hook. But WANT the peace of mind. Even so, as to not ruin the esthetics of the car, it sounds like nobody has done this.

Getting the car dyno'ed today for a baseline before engine work. Going to video it.

Cool! Be sure to post em up! Also, I think there are several Shelby GT guys with hooks....I will send you what I find.

I'm getting mine dyno'ed at the bash might even get a custom tune if it will gain me shome hores power. Please post some numbers when you are done.

I have no idea which is more accurate. I understand what all is going on and the difference between sae and std, but I know these things as a pilot knows things. And jet engines don't have pistons with advancing or retarding the spark. But I do know about performance and what affects it. We figure performance before each takeoff so I deal with that all the time. I know the ecu is figuring the same stuff as a jet ecu. Just where it gets it from is different nomenclature and what it does with it is different.

I just wanted to get a baseline for the engine mods I am planning. And know that I'm going to go to the same dyno when they are done to see the changes and take out that variable of different machines.

Overall, it was pretty cool the whole process. First time I'd seen it.

The next big hurdle in getting the KR on the track for an occassional track day is the hook should the car break down on the track. Has anyone installed a hook for this event?

I think optimum is to have the car towed from underneath the car. Then of course you run into the tow rope hitting the splitter. Most optimum in taking out all the guess work is having the hook stick out past the bumper on the front of the car which I'd rather avoid just for the asthetics.

The other option is no hook and have them latch onto the strut tower brace. But then the car has to be towed with the hood up and it would be just my luck it would be a windy day and the hood blow off or get torqued around and beatup.

Anyone dealt with this? Thanks!

Steve

Steve,

I offer a Tow Hook Kit that many Shelby GT owner's have installed-

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56051-track-day-tow-bracket-hook/page__st__80

P4241385.jpg

Team Shelby member - MichaelP sucessfully attached one to his GT500

His words "I did install the hook on my gt500, lower grill, worked fine with no cutting of the plastic grill"

GT500_2.jpg

GT500_1.jpg

LET ME KNOW IF I CAN HELP

Archived