TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best Places to Live

Yet another hum-drum Connecticut winter day and just recently got done paying my huge real-estate bill (second installment) so now I'm cold and depressed. And my GT500 looks depressed just sitting on the garage too.

Looking for a State/area with low crime, low property taxes, good jobs, friendly educated people and good warm weather (i.e. long summers versus long winters).... I'd like to be near a big body of water (lake or Ocean) and/or forest. Rural but not too rural. Any suggestions?

I can't believe Money Magazine's list becuase I see what they recommend for Connecticut and can only assume that they are as wrong with the other states too.

What Sate/town do you recommend? I'll put it on my places to see, as I plan to do some exploring this summer.

Yet another hum-drum Connecticut winter day and just recently got done paying my huge real-estate bill (second installment) so now I'm cold and depressed. And my GT500 looks depressed just sitting on the garage too.

Looking for a State/area with low crime, low property taxes, good jobs, friendly educated people and good warm weather (i.e. long summers versus long winters).... I'd like to be near a big body of water (lake or Ocean) and/or forest. Rural but not too rural. Any suggestions?

I can't believe Money Magazine's list becuase I see what they recommend for Connecticut and can only assume that they are as wrong with the other states too.

What Sate/town do you recommend? I'll put it on my places to see, as I plan to do some exploring this summer.

10GBS,

Many things are wrong with California and as I've hi-lited above, the property taxes are one of them (keep in mind there are states where they are even worse), but the area outside of Santa Rosa (an hour+ north of San Francisco on Hwy 101) fits the rest of your list to a "T". It's at the foot of the Redwoods, close to Napa vinyards, near the Ocean (Jenner or Bodega Bay), Infineon Raceway and a 3.5 hour drive to the Reno/Tahoe area.

I personally live in Southern Oregon. The weather here is pretty mild, job market not so great at the moment. But I don't know what your career path is either, so just in general job market here is poor. The unemployment rate is sitting at 13%. Property taxes are reasonable. Overall have a long driving season. Just had the Shelby out yesterday, it was 40 and sunny and dry. So went for a cruise. Good luck on your search.

Don't move to Pennsylvania--the weather sucks.My daughter lives in San Francisco and loves it there. My son lives in Asheville,NC and he loves the beauty of the area. I think I would move to Oregon or TN if the opp arose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though I hate AZ, as a lifelong resident, I would recommend Sedona AZ. for a primary residence, (only if you don't need employment)...low real-estate taxes in Az on the whole, and a short drive to SanDiego Ca for water and a long weekend. And one hour drive north to Flaggstaff Az for skiing.

I must admit, that Az has alot going for it. I just got sick and tired of the devilish heat from May to September! :banghead:

Sales tax in Phx. metro area is around 8-1/2%. Property taxes VERY VERY low!

edit- Oh, and if you golf................OMG..........Heaven on earth!!

I must admit, that Az has alot going for it. I just got sick and tired of the devilish heat from May to September! :banghead:

It's just a matter of time before the bone-chilling cold and winter of the North East gets to you. Then add to that the black flies and mosquitoes.

I will take the summer heat any day over snow and winter wind and NOT driving my Shelby in December, etc

only 5 hours away:

Driving = SanDiego

Flying = Hawaii

I agree with the desert. I say it many times: I've never had to shovel 6' of 105* off my driveway...

I used to live in Phoenix. It is no longer a great city like it used to be IMO. Scottsdale is really nice if you can afford it. Sedona is beautiful. No jobs there and it really is still a small town which is nice. I have lived in Florida for the last 27 years and it has it's nice areas but a lot of areas aren't so nice any more. You have to research well before moving here.

The weather is Hot and I used to say miserable humid but after 2 winters with temps down to the mid 20's and barely making it to the 60's, I will never complain again about the heat. I grew up in Illinios where it is cold and nasty almost year round but it didn't bother me then. Now I can't stand the cold.

I have been in AZ working since Aug. I have a good taste of the heat.

I could never live in AZ year round. No way.

If I had money...a 2nd home there would be very nice indeed !!!!

I think I saw your pictures on Camelback mountain a couple of weeks back ..... wearing shorts.

Arizona has mountains:

Flagstaff = north - approx 2.5 hour drive = never above 80* in the summer

White Mountains - east - approx 3 hour drive = never above 80* in the summer

Barrett-Jackson in January.

A few months in the heat really not that bad, I have a pool and air conditioning.

I have a lot of friends from the pacific northwest, they all moved here to AZ because they hate that it is always cloudy, overcast, cold and rainy.

However, if money was no object, San Diego, La Jolla area or New Port.

I have a lot of friends from the pacific northwest, they all moved here to AZ because they hate that it is always cloudy, overcast, cold and rainy.

That's why God invented Hawaii.

New Yorkers go to Florida. Pacific Northwesters go to Mexico and Hawaii (they follow the whale migration paths :) )

The good weather here in the Pacific NW is beautiful. The mountians and beachs and rivers and lush great fields and trees and many lakes are very nice.

I live in the Portland, Oregon / Vancouver Washington area. I'm 20 minutes from the border of the 2 states. Our good weather starts hit and miss in March. More miss then hit until we hit April and May. Jun, July and august are awesome. Sept and October can be nice too. We call those months Indian summers.

Cannonbeach8-32-07127.jpg

Cannonbeach8-32-07115.jpg

Cannonbeach8-32-07079.jpg

CoveTrip7-21-07096.jpg

CoveTrip7-21-07052.jpg

CoveTrip7-21-07150.jpg

CoveTrip7-21-07066.jpg

CoveTrip7-21-07056.jpg

CrownpointGT50010-22-07010.jpg

CrownpointGT50010-22-07001.jpg

Consider Texas. No state income tax, $250,000 will buy a 4 bedroom house on an acre of land, hundreds of miles of coastline, rarely snows except in northern Texas, central Texas has the "hill country" with some of the best driving roads in America, great Mexican food, great BBQ, great hunting & fishing, great people, great weather and the most Shelby/mustang events of any area.What do you do for a living?

I think I saw your pictures on Camelback mountain a couple of weeks back ..... wearing shorts.

Arizona has mountains:

Flagstaff = north - approx 2.5 hour drive = never above 80* in the summer

White Mountains - east - approx 3 hour drive = never above 80* in the summer

Barrett-Jackson in January.

A few months in the heat really not that bad, I have a pool and air conditioning.

However, if money was no object, San Diego, La Jolla area or New Port.

Barrett has turned into a joke.......I lived in Phx., Scottsdale. and Fountain Hills from 1961 to Dec. 2008...not too sure where you only have a 'FEW' months of heat, that's not 'THAT' bad?????? And, as for air conditioning....R134 does not work for sh!t in Az. until you are moving down the road for about 15 or 20 minutes constant!! Oh, and if you lived there forever, as I did, chances are pretty good you have some skin cancer spots, (as I do), so the pool is not so user friendly anymore, either. I'm just sayin'.

Can you tell I'm bitter?! :hysterical:

+1000 Money no object...Lajolla, Carlsbad, SanDiego County...period!

Archived