TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fays2 Watts Link - Anyone using this?

Robert M

For what it is worth, we have been running Jim's original design for quite some time. It is a quality piece. My personal car has over 5,000 track miles on it with the Fay's 2 design and it has performed flawlessly for over 3 years.

We will be testing the billet unit pretty hard next week at the Bash.

Roger

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it is worth, we have been running Jim's original design for quite some time. It is a quality piece. My personal car has over 5,000 track miles on it with the Fay's 2 design and it has performed flawlessly for over 3 years.

We will be testing the billet unit pretty hard next week at the Bash.

Roger

It's worth a lot to me to hear that. Thanks.

I don't have a SS, but since this topic is here I will post:

Just installed the Fays2 Watts link.

The response from Jim in answering all my questions is #1

He took the time listened and was patient. BIG THANKS!

2009 GT500 Vert. I hated the cars handling. Now the rear feels like it tracks with the rest of the car.

Havent driven it yet on the Highway with the Mod but around town going into and out of the turn feels greatly improved.

NO NOISE the unit is quiet.

THANKS ODC for posting the pictures, they helped greatly!

2009 GT500 Vert. I hated the cars handling. Now the rear feels like it tracks with the rest of the car.

Havent driven it yet on the Highway with the Mod but around town going into and out of the turn feels greatly improved.

Great feedback. Thank you!

You are welcome!! Now get that beast out on the highway!!

Roger and Jim,

Does the billet prototype have clearance to use the Shelby Axle Cover?

Thanks,Gary

If you are running the Shelby Billet axle cover it could have a clearance issue. I am running a KR diff. cover and it did need to be trimmed to fit. The issue is the center bolt on the cam unit.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

If you are running the Shelby Billet axle cover it could have a clearance issue. I am running a KR diff. cover and it did need to be trimmed to fit. The issue is the center bolt on the cam unit.

Roger

Roger,

Thanks for the feedback. How did the billet prototype perform at the Bash? What are the benefits of the billet construction?

Thanks,

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Just had a fays2 installed today on my 07 vert. Went to pickup and the axle was not centered. Is this common cause I know you can center the axle with an adjustable panhard. Tech claimed that the offset is the nature of the beast and to properly align the suspension your going to have some offset. Is this true. I did ask to have it recentered but he couldn't get it perfectly centered. So, what's the deal.

Thanks,

Tom

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread in hopes to help others. My axle is off center the same as it was with the panhard bar. Once the Watts link is installed and everything is all leveled and set - can't you just adjust the rod/arms to pull/push the axle in the dirrection you want it to go? It seems to me that you could even get the threads where Jim says they need to be by unattaching them and (in my case) unthread them. Then attach everything back up and adjust the rods to move the axle bringing them back to where they should be (3 & 6 threads respectively).

Isn't this part of the intent of the design and part of its adjustability? The only thing that concerns me is that it seems that this would put more sideloading stress on the center pivot bolt.

On a Fays2 watts linkage my suggestion is to loosen the two axle clamps and then take a wedge ( tapered block of wood ) and push it up between the inside of the tire and the inner wheel well ( body ) and use it to position the axle to center . You can do this by measuring the distance between the frame and the inside of the wheel or by using a plumb bob at the top of the fender flair ( center over the center cap / axle ) and then measure from the string to the rim ( bead flange ) just make sure the car is sitting on a level surface or your plumb line will be off . Once you're centered then tighten down your axle clamps . This keeps the links at the necessary equal lengths in order to swing at equal arches The principles call for equal length arms and they are to be parallel ( up/down ) to each other also preferred to be perpendicular to the pivot arm for consistency and accuracy throughout the range of travel and articulation of the axle. I have found on the Fays2 unit that sometimes I have had to grind out the clamp in order to clear the axle vent and have also had to add shims to the long ( link to clamp ) bolts to have them parallel front to back ( in addition to parallel up/down ) . This insures the rod ends are centered and will not go into bind as the axle travels up/down in it's own arch which is determined by the length / position of both the UCA and LCAs. It is best done on an alignment rack .

I went with the Shelby Billet Aluminum made by Fays2. A nice compliment to the billet aluminum LCA's from Metco with a very clean look. So far, very impressed and although you really have to push hard in the corners to notice the difference I do feel it is an improvement over the panhard bar. The rear of the car also feels more planted over uneven pavement. Need to head up to the NC mountains for a spirited twisty road run and then a track day to really give an honest and unbiased review.

• 1 month later...

Been trying to settle on ordering the standard Shelby Watts as I want the axle to stay put in the corners. Commendations to OCD pictures giving me confidence to do the work myself. Alino500 comments sound logical for other issue of getting the axle centered. My car needs to get 5 mm move to take up 10 mm of driver side tire hanging outside the plumb bob.

Looking at finances, I might wait an extra month and go for the Billet version. Anyone got pictures of it installed. Billet pictures in the SPP catalog showing three pieces does not give me sufficient knowledge to it's attacment. Link to the instuctions continually sends me back to the Home Page for SPP parts.

Sure would like pictures of installed and possible copy of the instuctions.

Forum is always good place to be help from members. Even know that Jer recently went to the Billet version.

Tom

I posted a better, bigger picture:

JerWattsNormalSize.jpg

Instructions have been emailed. They will be a clickable link in a few days for anyone else that wants them.

BTW, This photo was part of a recent upgrade at Shelby that included - aside from the billet Watts replacing the steel one - new swaybars and bushings (same as original, but my car lived in NY salt and sand for years, and the bushings were pink crunchy TOAST), rear axle housing removal / de-rust / repaint, a new Shelby adjustable upper control arm and mount, Eaton diff, FRPP 3.73 gears, Moser axles and Strange studs, new axle bearings (cheap insurance while you're in there), Shelby / Baer Extreme+ six piston rear brakes, and a GT500KR rear diff cover and axle reservoir. Aside from the Eaton TrueTrac, we stock all of these items at SPP.

Jer

JerWattsNormalSize.jpg

Been trying to settle on ordering the standard Shelby Watts as I want the axle to stay put in the corners. Commendations to OCD pictures giving me confidence to do the work myself. Alino500 comments sound logical for other issue of getting the axle centered. My car needs to get 5 mm move to take up 10 mm of driver side tire hanging outside the plumb bob.

Looking at finances, I might wait an extra month and go for the Billet version. Anyone got pictures of it installed. Billet pictures in the SPP catalog showing three pieces does not give me sufficient knowledge to it's attacment. Link to the instuctions continually sends me back to the Home Page for SPP parts.

Sure would like pictures of installed and possible copy of the instuctions.

Forum is always good place to be help from members. Even know that Jer recently went to the Billet version.

Tom

Tom - Here is one end shown in a picture...........

64804-1.jpg

R

Tom - Here is one end shown in a picture...........

R

Robert,

Nice, shiny and appear they are not in too short of supply.

Tom

I always say, the supercharger, brakes, and Watts link were the 3 best things I've ever done to this car. By FAR.

OK, Carroll's signature on the dash is in a category all its own... LOL....

Jer

I posted a better, bigger picture:

JerWattsNormalSize.jpg

Instructions have been emailed. They will be a clickable link in a few days for anyone else that wants them.

BTW, This photo was part of a recent upgrade at Shelby that included - aside from the billet Watts replacing the steel one - new swaybars and bushings (same as original, but my car lived in NY salt and sand for years, and the bushings were pink crunchy TOAST), rear axle housing removal / de-rust / repaint, a new Shelby adjustable upper control arm and mount, Eaton diff, FRPP 3.73 gears, Moser axles and Strange studs, new axle bearings (cheap insurance while you're in there), Shelby / Baer Extreme+ six piston rear brakes, and a GT500KR rear diff cover and axle reservoir. Aside from the Eaton TrueTrac, we stock all of these items at SPP

Jer

nice list......its good to be king! :worship::shoppingcart_::hysterical:

• 4 weeks later...

I always say, the supercharger, brakes, and Watts link were the 3 best things I've ever done to this car. By FAR.

OK, Carroll's signature on the dash is in a category all its own... LOL....

Jer

Did the deed today - billet Watts link. Picked a few other things for under the hood.

Big thanks to Tim to check with you on deleting the bezels out of the 4.6L air duct kit.

Weather here yesterday was sufficient to take the car out for a spring warm up. Thrill of the drive moved me enough to spring for the parts.

Now it is a waiting game. Suggestion I have if this ships Fedex is to be able to have material shipped to me via my nearby Fedex Store. Tim was not sure how to do and thought I could do after it ships - Fedex says it is responsibility of the sender and receiver cannot change. Have done this with people sending me things and it saves a lot of hassle.

Tom

Archived