TEAM SHELBY FORUM

We got some Competition!!!!

sudden

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Corvette and the GT500 are in two separate categories and not comparable... IMO the Corvette will spank the GT500 as an all around good buy.

The Camaro and the Mustang are more comparable, and in this case, the high performance versions of the two (the Z28 and the GT500).

I think the Corvette and the GT500 are in two separate categories and not comparable... IMO the Corvette will spank the GT500 as an all around good buy.

The Camaro and the Mustang are more comparable, and in this case, the high performance versions of the two (the Z28 and the GT500).

Oh. I thought Ford's best was to compete with GM's best.

If the Z28 is going to be compaired to the 500, what happened to the vette?

Wasn't the 500 built to beat a vette?

:headscratch:

Im pretty sure the Standard C6 still beats the Camaro SS, and the 2012 Z28 will still be too heavy to beat the Z06. The Z06 is still king. Corvette still retains its status. 500 was not built to beat the Vette. Apples to Oranges. Vette is a sports car...GT500 is a Muscle car.

First, let me say that I really like the new Camaro's looks. I have long been a fan of the Camaro and am delighted to see it coming back strong. It's healthy to have good competition.

However, the Z28 should have been designed with a small displacement engine in mind to battle Ford's 5.0L. The traditional role and purpose of the Z28 was a road racer to begin with. The SS should have maintained its traditional role as the big block screamer. I understand Scott Settlemire's explaination as to why Chevy wanted the Z28 as the premier Camaro moniker, I just believe that it slaps Camaro's history right in the face.

Team Mustang has proven with the 5.0L that smaller and lighter displacement engines can be lethal.

Without elaboration, surprises await Chevy. ;)

First, let me say that I really like the new Camaro's looks. I have long been a fan of the Camaro and am delighted to see it coming back strong. It's healthy to have good competition.

However, the Z28 should have been designed with a small displacement engine in mind to battle Ford's 5.0L. The traditional role and purpose of the Z28 was a road racer to begin with. The SS should have maintained its traditional role as the big block screamer. I understand Scott Settlemire's explaination as to why Chevy wanted the Z28 as the premier Camaro moniker, I just believe that it slaps Camaro's history right in the face.

Team Mustang has proven with the 5.0L that smaller and lighter displacement engines can be lethal.

Without elaboration, surprises await Chevy. ;)

Oh, yeah, that's for sure...

Although more of a competitor to the 5.0 I kind of like the 2011 Challenger SRT8 with the 392ci 6.4 liter. Mid 12s in the quarter from one tester and this is one heavy car too. Much better looking and buyable than the Camaro in my opinion. I would actually consider purchasing this vehicle. Here's a link to the results of the tests: http://www.insideline.com/dodge/challenger/2011/2011-dodge-challenger-srt8-392-full-test.html

If the Z28 is going to be compaired to the 500, what happened to the vette?

Wasn't the 500 built to beat a vette?

:headscratch:

The Z06 is a 2 seater sports car that rides as high as a go-cart on the road, made strictly for performance (vs) a 4 seat muscle car that is made for a wide range of folks that is easily modified to ones taste...No comparison, they weren't made as direct competition.

As gear heads, we are lucky that the Z28 is coming back. We have something to compete against and something that will keep improving development of the breed.

Don't worry about the GT500 falling behind - it's been well known that the Z28 is coming.

I wish the Z28 was developed as a road racer though. :shift:

As gear heads, we are lucky that the Z28 is coming back. We have something to compete against and something that will keep improving development of the breed.

Don't worry about the GT500 falling behind - it's been well known that the Z28 is coming.

I wish the Z28 was developed as a road racer though. :shift:

I have to agree with you Robert. The competition is great to have amongst different car manufacturers. And having the Camaro in the road racing filed would only help the cause for a lot of people.

Speedyman: Always with the positive vibs man, always the positive vibs.

Do you even own a Ford???

LOL, Had more mustangs than I can accurately remember at this point from vintage GTs, Mach1s, SVT /Cobras, and a brief stint with an '08 GT500. Been on the other side also with 6 Corvettes, 2 Z28s and a couple Porsches. Hopefully this validates me to some small degree in your opinion as you seem to have a real need to judge me and my opinions which don't allways seem to be in sync with yours. The rivalry between the Ford and GM Pony Car offerings is soon to become front page news in the enthusiast world and is a good thing. I really can't understand why you have this bizzare habit of attacking virtually every one of my posts on this forum. Lighten up and deal with the fact that there are differing perspectives on many of the issues discussed on this and other enthusiasts forums. Enjoy the ride.

I'm not ashamed to say that today, while bored stiff with the winter weather here in NJ, I went to the local Chevy store to see a white GranSport that I saw out front the other day when the weather was still decent. (No snow) Today it looks like the dealer's only stock white cars!

Anyhow,

I was 'stunned' to see and hear from the sales dude, that the Camaro SS has the same engine in it as the 'entry' Vette!? Years ago, the General always detuned the Camaro and the Firechickens to keep the differentiation from their big daddy car. Not anymore. However, the 430 horse SS Camaro is $39K, and the GranSport Vette was stickered @ $65K! Hmmmm. Although, you do have to get around the look of the Camaro! Lol!

Just an observation, I guess. I always thought that the Camaros and Vettes were seperated more to keep the Vette unique? It's also a tad bit weird to me that the Z28 is now going to be a more powerful car than the SS...no? I think someone already mentioned this?

Nonetheless, as Robert Lane has said, it's good to have competition, or whatever you want to call it. Competition is good. After all, I had my bikestore in a Target shopping center plaza, and some of our customers would ask, why would you place your business in this plaza when Target is 100 yards away with $69.00 bikes??? I won't go into my response...I think you can figure out just what it was.

Without the Camaro, Vette, and Challenger, there would be no reason to make our beloved Mustangs better than they were in the late 90's!!

Amen :salute:

[quote name='speedyman' timestamp='1293989607' post=

Ford will be on the run once again.

Like I said. Always with the positive vibes.

THe new 5.0, the Boss and the new light weight blocks say Ford is serious about staying on top. Launching issues are easy fixes.

Stay positive. lol.

Like I said. Always with the positive vibes.

THe new 5.0, the Boss and the new light weight blocks say Ford is serious about staying on top. Launching issues are easy fixes.

Stay positive. lol.

Yeah thats right, competition is a good thing on all fronts here. I guess that is the point you are trying to make in your own strange way.

LOL, Really???? I didn't make a point in a strange way. I think that would be you if you are saying "Ford will be on the run once again" = Competitiion is a good thing.

The Mustang 4.6 gave the top of the line Camaro a run for its money. The new 5.0 dominates the Camaro. Ford has clearly signaled wtih the new aluminum blocks both 5.4 and 5.0 and the new Boss and GT500 etc..they aren't intending on running from anyone.

Being "on the run" isn't competing its surrendering.

Maybe you compete "on the run". I don't run away when I compete. I don't think Ford does either.

I know this point is being made in a strange way. But I think most will get it.

Cheers.

P.S. We miss you on the KR forum.

LOL, Really???? I didn't make a point in a strange way. I think that would be you if you are saying "Ford will be on the run once again" = Competitiion is a good thing.

The Mustang 4.6 gave the top of the line Camaro a run for its money. The new 5.0 dominates the Camaro. Ford has clearly signaled wtih the new aluminum blocks both 5.4 and 5.0 and the new Boss and GT500 etc..they aren't intending on running from anyone.

Being "on the run" isn't competing its surrendering.

Maybe you compete "on the run". I don't run away when I compete. I don't think Ford does either.

I know this point is being made in a strange way. But I think most will get it.

Cheers.

P.S. We miss you on the KR forum.

Holy Bajeeeeesus Man, lighten up,and undo your wedgy.

Try to understand that some individuals will have opinions and frames of reference that may vary from yours. Is it really necessary for you to attack anyone that does not see things as you do? Enjoy life.

Archived