TEAM SHELBY FORUM

We got some Competition!!!!

sudden

O.K. it is now confirmed that Government Motors will be putting out the 2012 Z28 with 500 plus H.P. Is anyone concerned at this time? Its being pointed at us GT 500 owners for top honors for american muscle. I say bring it on and lets get it on! Sudden.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.K. it is now confirmed that Government Motors will be putting out the 2012 Z28 with 500 plus H.P. Is anyone concerned at this time? Its being pointed at us GT 500 owners for top honors for american muscle. I say bring it on and lets get it on! Sudden.

I wouldn't be worried, if I were a GT500 owner. Hell once I get my intercooler and turn the boost up a bit, I will not even be that worried!

I know lots of Ford guys don't like to here it, but if GM can make an auto that can handle 550 hp, why can't Ford. Whether you like a slush box or not, there are lots of gearheads that had just rather have an auto. If you've been round this site for very long, you've read about us geezers with hip and knee problems who would give anything for a factory auto that we could swap into our Shelbys. I know there are aftermarket autos out there but realistically they are primarily competition autos. It seems the auto in the new GT must be pretty strong considering some of the hp numbers being produced.

I know lots of Ford guys don't like to here it, but if GM can make an auto that can handle 550 hp, why can't Ford. Whether you like a slush box or not, there are lots of gearheads that had just rather have an auto. If you've been round this site for very long, you've read about us geezers with hip and knee problems who would give anything for a factory auto that we could swap into our Shelbys. I know there are aftermarket autos out there but realistically they are primarily competition autos. It seems the auto in the new GT must be pretty strong considering some of the hp numbers being produced.

I have an auto and with my s/c, it produces 445 hp to the wheels, which should be around 540 or so at the engine. No problems with it to report of.

Dan

Well.....heck no!

Ir'a sooooo much more then HP and TQ.

With enough $$ - HP, TQ, Handling and 1/4 mile time can be purchased. But ya can't buy a legondary person that started it all.

A GT500 has.................Carroll Shelby

Ferrari has....................Enzo Ferrari

Lamborghini has..........Ferruccio Lamborghini

A Z28 has....................... :reading::reading::reading::headscratch:

And to top it all off, it was

:party2:

Well.....heck no!

Ir'a sooooo much more then HP and TQ.

With enough $$ - HP, TQ, Handling and 1/4 mile time can be purchased. But ya can't buy a legondary person that started it all.

A GT500 has.................Carroll Shelby

Ferrari has....................Enzo Ferrari

Lamborghini has..........Ferruccio Lamborghini

A Z28 has....................... Mullets and wifebeaters? :headscratch:

And to top it all off, it was

:party2:

+1 It would be better at the track as well. Remember Carroll made is first twin-turbo Super Snake an auto in 1963. Who has time to shift when you are going from 0 to 60 in 3.3 secs and topping out at 200+. Woohoo!

A Z28 has....................... :reading::reading::reading::headscratch:

Are you kidding? I am a '60s fan of the Z28 (although I drove a built '66 fastback Mustang) - they were great cars. And to complete the sentence, I give you this:

A Z28 has ............... Vincent W. Piggins.

And, yes, I am serious.

Jim

Camaro's are nice! Not my cup of tea per sae, but I'm glad that they're finally getting on with the new gen Z28. I never could understand why the Z28 is this year's high performance model, whereas previously it was the other way around. :shrug:

And they may be late with the V8 competition, but remember they put out the 300hp V6 before Ford figured it out...

I guess it's time for a TVS. :idea:

Are you kidding? I am a '60s fan of the Z28 (although I drove a built '66 fastback Mustang) - they were great cars. And to complete the sentence, I give you this:

A Z28 has ............... Vincent W. Piggins.

And, yes, I am serious.

Jim

No problemo. He is a "person", but did not, IMHO of course, fit the description of.....legendary.

IMHO of course.

Could be my bad for not putting Piggins in the same league as Shelby, Ferrari & Lamborghini :headscratch:

And yup, a Z28 was a great car. *Note* I never posted it was not.

We'll thats in 2012 and who knows what Ford will have out then. I know one guy who is still scared and the new 5.0 Watch this!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpECrDIHjc

A note to GM. Don't sing it------------------bring it!

GM will be bringing it. The question is will Ford respond or refuse to compete like they did when the Trans Am and Z28's of the 90s to early 2000s were kicking butt.

The other question is where are the people who after listening to too much fair and balanced reporting predicted GM would never be allowed to build a car like this? According to their "predictions" GM would only be putting out hybrids and 4 cylinders by now.

GM will be bringing it. The question is will Ford respond or refuse to compete like they did when the Trans Am and Z28's of the 90s to early 2000s were kicking butt.

The other question is where are the people who after listening to too much fair and balanced reporting predicted GM would never be allowed to build a car like this? According to their "predictions" GM would only be putting out hybrids and 4 cylinders by now.

Correct, they are bringing it and with the 6.2L, TVS equiped, LSA motor that blasts the heavy weight CTS-V to 12 flat 1/4 miles on showroom rubber. The new Z will bring a suspension set up capable of launching and handling the factory power level where the GT500 clearly does not. GM knows that the Z28 and GT500 will be compared head to head in every automotive periodical there is. There is no chance of the General showing up for this party with a 2nd place performer. Ford will be on the run once again.

Archived