TEAM SHELBY FORUM

400 Whipple non intercooled

sgt1020

The non intercooled whipple comes with a 4" pulley generating 5psi. I believe the smallest I can go without installing an intercooler is a 3.5" pulley. If I am wrong someone correct me. I also remember someone saying the non intercooled is good for 8psi at max. Would I need a new belt tensioner at 8psi? Or is that only if I'm pushing more than 500hp? Some info would be great! Thanks! :salute:

With a smaller pulley, 93 octane gas and a good tune I would think I can put down 400+ RWhp. Anyone think that number is about right?

+1, adding a SC adds heat. you should save up and get the IC kit.

The IC kit is another 2 grand. For now I thought I could get the 400 and have some fun with the new power then, save up for another year or so and install the IC. Ford racing wouldn't sell the non IC kit if it wasn't safe. As long as you aren't going too high with the boost you should be fine. 5-7psi is a safe zone since there are guys that run those numbers without issue. 8psi is reaching the non IC's outer edge and if you were to push it too hard at 8psi, I can imagine you would overheat. To be safe, I would stick with the stock 4" pulley at 5psi. Maybe after I open my hood scoop up I will go to 7psi. That heath scoop drops the engine compartment temp by 20 degrees.

I had the non intercooled unit with the 4.00 pulley on my 07SGT and saw about 7PSI in cool air. It only dynoed 330HP at the wheels but was an automatic trans car. Ive seen manuals dyno about 350 ish with the 4.00 pulley and about 370 with the 3.75 pulley. Once you add the 3.75 pulley the ECM pulls timing due to the rise in heat and you run leaner so you wont gain much with the smaller pulley due to Fords safe tune. Now once you buy the IC kit like I did, my power went to 450HP at the wheels with 12lbs. of boost. I ran 12.00 at 118mph in the summer heat. Manual trans cars see about 490HP at the wheels. Personally I would buy the IC kit. The hood liner comes off during either install too. You have to keep in mind that the Eatons, Whipples, and Kenne Bell superchargers all produce heat and load even while cruising so the intercooler kit will be a great investment and you will see reliable power. Without the intercooler its just not as fun or reliable. At least that was my experience. Good luck.

I had the non intercooled unit with the 4.00 pulley on my 07SGT and saw about 7PSI in cool air. It only dynoed 330HP at the wheels but was an automatic trans car. Ive seen manuals dyno about 350 ish with the 4.00 pulley and about 370 with the 3.75 pulley. Once you add the 3.75 pulley the ECM pulls timing due to the rise in heat and you run leaner so you wont gain much with the smaller pulley due to Fords safe tune. Now once you buy the IC kit like I did, my power went to 450HP at the wheels with 12lbs. of boost. I ran 12.00 at 118mph in the summer heat. Manual trans cars see about 490HP at the wheels. Personally I would buy the IC kit. The hood liner comes off during either install too. You have to keep in mind that the Eatons, Whipples, and Kenne Bell superchargers all produce heat and load even while cruising so the intercooler kit will be a great investment and you will see reliable power. Without the intercooler its just not as fun or reliable. At least that was my experience. Good luck.

Good post!

And isn't fun what we're talking about here? The 550 IC is a LOT of fun!

I'd save up and get the 550 IC...

I also left my hood liner on.

Removing the hood liner will reduce underhood temps some and you will hear the SC whine more but it wont reduce internal engine temps due to compressing the air without a IC. With the 4.0 pulley on it rubbed on the liner so we removed it. We then installed the IC kit and it said to remove the liner.

I am running a Non-IC Whipple with a 3.875 pulley on my 2007 Shelby GT. I had it dyno-tuned by VMP here in FL. The car made about 394hp to the rear tires. The boost shows a little high on the dyno but not having an IC actually will increase your boost for that given pulley. I have had no problems but would like eventually ad the intercooler. VMP made sure the timing in this tune was safe. I also upgraded the wiring to my stock fuel pump and moved the IAT sensor. I will upload the dyno sheet. The first run is the 3.875 pulley with the stock whipple tune 358hp, the 394hp is Justin's tune

vmptune06082010.jpg

Archived