TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT or Boss 302?

sgt1020

I was around when the Shelby and Boss came out. The Boss back then was just seen as a muscle car - no one stared at it except gear heads - I saw them cruising on friday nights all the time. On the other hand, I never saw a Shelby as a kid. It was folklore to me. When I did see my first Shelby (especially the '68) I was in a trance. It had a cool look, a cool heritage name and you knew something unique was under the hood.

So Shelby means something different to me than Boss. Boss is a muscle car. Shelby is, well, a Shelby - something rare and unique. I would keep my Shelby even if someone offered me the Boss for free....no kidding.

HP isnt everything - some BMW's crank out 600 HP. Its about the car. For me Shelby wins.

Casey

Well stated.............The first generation Mustang Shelby's seldom seen on the road

definately added to the Iconic Legend that was created................

Not sure yet but hope the same holds true with the current generation Mustang Shelby's.........

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well stated.............The first generation Mustang Shelby's seldom seen on the road

definately added to the Iconic Legend that was created................

Not sure yet but hope the same holds true with the current generation Mustang Shelby's.........

Only time will tell.

Just wanted to see what some of you guys would choose. I love my SGT and refuse to trade it for anything. But would some of you guys prefer the new 2011 Boss 302 over your SGT? The new Boss is a limited production car just like ours. Except ours were a pre titled program.

I'm installing a non intercooled FR whipple supercharger in the spring. With a 3.75" pulley and 93 octane should give me around 400rwhp. I'll be a tad quicker than the new 5.0. Although I have to admit, that 412 N/A hp from the new 5.0 is impressive.

Both :happy feet:

After a lot of thinking, I changed my mind again. Going N/A. :happy feet:

Here's my mod list:

Kooks long tube 1 5/8" headers and catted X

Detroit Rocker Cams

FRPP Intake Manifold

FR 62mm Throttle Body

Porting and Polishing my stock heads

Dyno Tune

*Forgot, 3.73 gears.

Just wanted to see what some of you guys would choose. I love my SGT and refuse to trade it for anything. But would some of you guys prefer the new 2011 Boss 302 over your SGT? The new Boss is a limited production car just like ours. Except ours were a pre titled program.

I'm installing a non intercooled FR whipple supercharger in the spring. With a 3.75" pulley and 93 octane should give me around 400rwhp. I'll be a tad quicker than the new 5.0. Although I have to admit, that 412 N/A hp from the new 5.0 is impressive.

the new 5.0 is hands down a better engine then our 4.6 3v. you will be surprised how quick they are

After a lot of thinking, I changed my mind again. Going N/A. :happy feet:

Here's my mod list:

Kooks long tube 1 5/8" headers and catted X

Detroit Rocker Cams

FRPP Intake Manifold

FR 62mm Throttle Body

Porting and Polishing my stock heads

Dyno Tune

save your money on the FR TB, you won't need a bigger TB going NA

The boss is a great performance car in its handling, accelerating and braking capabilties. But I dont get that feeling from a new boss like a do with a SGT. I had seen some SGT's at shows over the years and i thought they were absolutely stunning machines. I was sold when a black SGT came into my driveway wanting to be detailed. I washed it, took for a ride around the block to get the water out of the cracks, and had a huge smile on my face from driving it. I knew right then and there that this was the car for me. The 2012 boss doesn't give me that vibe, and the Laguna Seca edition looks like it might as well have a fart can and neon lights. Regular Boss 302's look ok, but im still not ok with the rear fascia on 2010 + mustangs. I dont have any problems with my SGT and i would definetly take it over a 2012 boss.

The boss is a great performance car in its handling, accelerating and braking capabilties. But I dont get that feeling from a new boss like a do with a SGT. I had seen some SGT's at shows over the years and i thought they were absolutely stunning machines. I was sold when a black SGT came into my driveway wanting to be detailed. I washed it, took for a ride around the block to get the water out of the cracks, and had a huge smile on my face from driving it. I knew right then and there that this was the car for me. The 2012 boss doesn't give me that vibe, and the Laguna Seca edition looks like it might as well have a fart can and neon lights. Regular Boss 302's look ok, but im still not ok with the rear fascia on 2010 + mustangs. I dont have any problems with my SGT and i would definetly take it over a 2012 boss.

FORD has been getting ripped for the 'import' look of the Laguna Seca version so expect the final release version to be different.

The Boss will probably be an attention getter but not like the SGT. The Shelby just has so much better history. I have had people say to me ,do you own a mustang and i will correct them and say no , i own a Shelby and if they are my friends and mention i own a mustang then i'll say anybody can own a mustang but not everyone can own a Shelby , just joking with them of course. The new 5.0 is a much better engine but there is much more to these cars than just an engine. It's called nostalga. Building these SGT's just 2 years has certainly kept them from being an everyday car that you see on the road. I live in the Houston area and i very seldom see these cars on the road. My car is in the shop now getting a clutch and heat-exchanger installed and my mecanic told me today on the phone that i was getting a lot of good comments about my car and he gets a lot of high end performance cars in his shop.The bottom line is if you want just a fast car then buy the Mustang GT and s/c if you like and still save some money . The Boss might be a good car but it still want get the attention of a Shelby. I and I'm sure others have thought to that when Carroll passes in a few years then what will happen to the Shelby's. There's only one Carroll Shelby and i'm glad i was blessed with the chance to get one and turn it into a SGT/SC and have it signed by him . History,Shelby, Muscle car, Boss.

I was in to my favorite dealer test driving a V6 manual for a DD (great car, by the way) and the owner happened to mention they had an unspoken-for Boss allocation that I could get in the color I want without ADM. Naturally, wheels started turning and I briefly thought about trading both the DD AND the SGT for it. But not for long! The Shelby is always going to be a more special car...

I was in to my favorite dealer test driving a V6 manual for a DD (great car, by the way) and the owner happened to mention they had an unspoken-for Boss allocation that I could get in the color I want without ADM. Naturally, wheels started turning and I briefly thought about trading both the DD AND the SGT for it. But not for long! The Shelby is always going to be a more special car...

Good choice!

there are faster mustangs(and always will be), but we all know that the SGT's are "hands down" the best looking stangs ever built!!(especially white!!) :happy feet:

The "we all know" only refers to SGT owners, Right??????? :hysterical:

THE SHELBY GT DOESNT GET THE RESPECT IT DESERVES .GLAD THEY FINALLY CAME OUT WITH THE GT 350 SO PEOPLE CAN STOP CALLING THE GT A GT 350. IT IS PRE TITLED AND HAS A IDENTITY OF ITS OWN . WITH A USED CAR VALUE OF AROUND 26000 -30000 ITS A GREAT VALUE RIGHT NOW. AND AT THAT ALLREADY DEVALUED PRICE YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PUTTING TO MANY MILES ON IT AND CAN DRIVE IT AND ENJOY IT.

PEOPLE DONT SEEM IT SEE THE VALUE IN THE GT RIGHT NOW BUT YEARS DOWN THE ROAD A WELL KEPT GT WILL BE WORTH PLENTY BEING A FIRST GENERATION S197 WITH THE GOODLOOKING ASS END, 4.6 LITRE ENGINE ,,PRE TILED , PRODUCED WHILE SHELBY WAS ALVE ETC. ANYWAY DO YOU MEAN TRADE FOR OR TRADE IN ON A BOSS ? BECAUSE THE BOSS IS CURRENTLY SUBSTANTUALLY WORTH MORE MONEY IM JUST WONDERING WETHER SHELBY WILL DO A GT WITH THE 302 I SUGGEST THEY DO A SHELBY GT302 VERSION

You are right about our car having its own identity and not being a GT350. But in a motor trend magazine, they show a 65 GT350 next to our 07 SGT. Shelby made our car in the image of the original GT350 without calling it a GT350. We have the aluminum grill, hurst short throw shifter and to me the car looks like a modern GT350, minus the blue stripes. Our cars are more closely related to the original GT350 since we have the 4.6 289 engine. The new shelby GT350 has the 5.0 302 in it. To me, thats not a "real" GT350. Our cars are more closely related to the real thing. But once again, my hat is off to SA. They did a great job on the car and making that FUGLY rear end look much better. :salute:

FORD has been getting ripped for the 'import' look of the Laguna Seca version so expect the final release version to be different.

Did Shelby get "ripped" for the GT-350 badges on the prototype? I was shocked to see the tri-bar pony and PBF badges on the production models. I like the pony on the grille but kinda liked the autograph badges on the fenders.

Feedback is important. Ford and Shelby really do a good job listening to the Mustang customer base since 2005 with the new generation Mustangs and Special Editions. They keep coming out with great new cars over and over.

Did Shelby get "ripped" for the GT-350 badges on the prototype? I was shocked to see the tri-bar pony and PBF badges on the production models. I like the pony on the grille but kinda liked the autograph badges on the fenders.

Feedback is important. Ford and Shelby really do a good job listening to the Mustang customer base since 2005 with the new generation Mustangs and Special Editions. They keep coming out with great new cars over and over.

I myself ripped on the new Shelby GT350 prototype. It said "GT350" twice on the hood, on the side stripes, front, back and inside. I would bust balls saying, "Wait, what kind of Shelby is that again?" :hysterical:

I am glad they got rid of the "GT350" badge on the hood. It was overboard.

For those of you into vintage Shelbys, you probably know the whole debate of what is a real Shelby from the 60's and 70's. In 68 all of Shelby production was moved from Shelby LA to Ford MI. Fred Goodell, Shelby's chief engineer, moved with the operation to keep it going, but Carroll Shelby moved on to other things. A.O. Smith was contracted to build the Shelbys and add the fiberglass parts (along with Gurney Cougars, and other) So, there is a whole bunch of interesting chatter about the real Shelby ending in 1967. I dont mean to stir things up here (please dont beat me up if you are on one side or the other - that is not my point). But it is interesting that similar debates were held about the early Shelbys too :-).

For us today, we have Shelby involvement in all our cars. So, no debate - they are Shelbys.

For my taste, I would rather keep my Shelby than have a Boss. Shelby has vintage history like no other. And at 88, he is still at it - God Bless him.

Casey

I myself ripped on the new Shelby GT350 prototype. It said "GT350" twice on the hood, on the side stripes, front, back and inside. I would bust balls saying, "Wait, what kind of Shelby is that again?" :hysterical:

I am glad they got rid of the "GT350" badge on the hood. It was overboard.

+1 I think Shelby did listen and also saw that there was a bit too much "GT350" branding going on. I think the car is MUCH better for it though an improvement overall. I like simplicity and elegance so for me it was a solid move but I'm REALLY hoping they come out with that SGT-like prototype above. THAT I would buy. I like the new 5.0 and the new interior but I love the look of the SGT.

SHELBY PLEASE GIVE ME ANOTHER SGT-LIKE CAR AND I MAY JUST BUY A 2012 MUSTANG!

Archived