TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel Damage???

BAD SNAKE

1st post :hyper:

I was crawling under my Shelby the other day and discovered the inside front wheels are all scraped up, almost to the point that the wheel weights are sheared off.

I think it happened in the shipping process. I think the wheels are so low to the ground they scraped the rail car or car haulers inside rails.

I called the local Ford dealership, Mallon, and they said,if the damage wasn't discovered within 24 hours after the car was delivered to the dealership its not covered.

Does anybody have the same issue?

I was crawling under my Shelby the other day and discovered the inside front wheels are all scraped up, almost to the point that the wheel weights are sheared off.

I think it happened in the shipping process. I think the wheels are so low to the ground they scraped the rail car or car haulers inside rails.

I called the local Ford dealership, Mallon, and they said,if the damage wasn't discovered within 24 hours after the car was delivered to the dealership its not covered.

Welcome to the site. I am fairly new too but there are some folks here who are EXTREMELY well versed about the subject. Personally, no damage at all to my wheels.

I had only self inflicted damage when I curbed a wheel. Priot to that they were perfect. I ordered a direct factory replacement and a new band and had the sensor moved over and tire so it's brand new again. I'm still debating on what to do with the damaged rim. It's just cosmetic so i think I'll likely get a full size spare set up but I've been holding off as I am looking at other rims to put on the car......In the short term the stock rims are growing on me - in the long term I like some of the CCW rims I've seen a lot but can't decide on a size yet.

From the dealer my car was flawless - I have proceeded to bungle a few things and have to repair them (the wheel and I have a new front splitter/spoiler in the garage since i scraped that too, but figure I'll do it again so i left the scratched one on for now).

Good luck figuring out your issue

Bad Snake, would that be Mallon Ford in Tacoma, WA? I'm at Bowen Scarff Ford and we likely use the same carrier to truck cars from the railhead to our dealership. One of our GT500's had wheel damage on delivery and we caught it within the specified 24 hour period, so it was covered. A wheel and tire were cut by one of the ribs on the ramp of the transport trailer as it was backed off. We've also had a couple GT500's with scuffed up front splitters (lower spoiler).

Mallon Ford should be willing to step up and fix this for you if it was shipping damage, even if they can't get the transport company to cover it due to missing the 24 hour cutoff.

badsnake, what you may be seeing is just black on wheel from when tires were mounted. this is typical on all Shelbys. see if it will wipe off. if its actually scrapes its another story and any good dealer should take care of you by giving benefit of doubt. How are you supposed to see every square inch of your car within 24yrs?

again if you are seeing black on the inside edge of wheels its as above. appears even the weights are put on wheels prior to tires being put on as black even covers the weights.

badsnake, what you may be seeing is just black on wheel from when tires were mounted. this is typical on all Shelbys. see if it will wipe off. if its actually scrapes its another story and any good dealer should take care of you by giving benefit of doubt. How are you supposed to see every square inch of your car within 24yrs?

again if you are seeing black on the inside edge of wheels its as above. appears even the weights are put on wheels prior to tires being put on as black even covers the weights.

It's not from the tires (at least in my case). The inside of my front wheels are a bit scuffed also. Nothing major, just a little rough all the way around the rim edge. In the front, the tire sits flush with the wheel and, as others have noted, the damage likely comes from rubbing during the transport (load/unload) process. The rear tires protrude by about 1/2 inch beyond the wheel and that's why you don't see there.

BADSNAKE, sounds like you have it worse. The dealer should step-up because it may have thrown the balance off. If they don't replace them at least have them check the balance.

Thanks for all the responses, awsome.

The proplem is I purchased my car in Houston TX. I called over 1000 dealerships to find the best deal and I wanted to order the car the way I wanted. You wouldn't belive some of the sales prople I talked to.

I drove my F250 from Tacoma to Houston, 5700 miles round trip through El Paso, rented a car hauler, no inside rails, and trailered it to Tacoma. I called Mallon Ford in Tacoma because it was close to where I live. Yes I have have both the stick on and clamp on weights on all wheels.

Thanks again

Thanks for all the responses, awsome.

The proplem is I purchased my car in Houston TX. I called over 1000 dealerships to find the best deal and I wanted to order the car the way I wanted. You wouldn't belive some of the sales prople I talked to.

I drove my F250 from Tacoma to Houston, 5700 miles round trip through El Paso, rented a car hauler, no inside rails, and trailered it to Tacoma. I called Mallon Ford in Tacoma because it was close to where I live. Yes I have have both the stick on and clamp on weights on all wheels.

Thanks again

1000 dealers? :drop:

If you spent 10 minutes on the phone with each, that's 10,000 minutes, or 167 hours. At $20 per hour, that's $3,300...yikes. Hey, if it saved you more than $3,300, then it sounds like maybe it was worth it. :hysterical2:

Just jokin' with ya snake...glad you got a car...bummer on the wheels...hope you get it worked out.

AD

1000 dealers? :drop:

If you spent 10 minutes on the phone with each, that's 10,000 minutes, or 167 hours. At $20 per hour, that's $3,300...yikes. Hey, if it saved you more than $3,300, then it sounds like maybe it was worth it. :hysterical2:

Just jokin' with ya snake...glad you got a car...bummer on the wheels...hope you get it worked out.

I had time on my side, it took me a few months. I do a lot of driving. I used a cell phone "free weekends." For an example, I'd call dealers and ask" Do you have any Shelby Cobras?" And a lot would say "we dont sell chevy nova's." On to the next one the list. Yes I know it might be a stupid way to get get the coolest car ever built, I have heard that several times from my family and friends. It was worth every minute and every mile!!!!!!!

I checked my car and found that I have damaged rims also, front and back, the fromt ones are worse and I only saw one weight and it was on the rear tire with damage to the rim around it but the weight looks fine. So maybe it happened when the tires were mounted. Unless my dealer noticed it and had the tires balanced before I got the car. The damage is only light surface markings that has taken the finish off the rims on the inside. I will have to talk to my dealership to see if they will do anything, the damage is really appearance only and can only be seen if you are under the car so I can live with it if the dealer will not correct the problem. I really don't exspect the dealership to do much for me. Before I got the car I was told that any Mods, even just a CAI would void the warrenty. So when I put my LCAs on they may not do anything for me anyway.

I checked my car and found that I have damaged rims also, front and back, the fromt ones are worse and I only saw one weight and it was on the rear tire with damage to the rim around it but the weight looks fine. So maybe it happened when the tires were mounted. Unless my dealer noticed it and had the tires balanced before I got the car. The damage is only light surface markings that has taken the finish off the rims on the inside. I will have to talk to my dealership to see if they will do anything, the damage is really appearance only and can only be seen if you are under the car so I can live with it if the dealer will not correct the problem. I really don't exspect the dealership to do much for me. Before I got the car I was told that any Mods, even just a CAI would void the warrenty. So when I put my LCAs on they may not do anything for me anyway.

Thanks for the heads up. My car will be here soon and I will check mine too...at the dealership. The warrenty isue is touchy with some dealers and not with others. It depends who you talk to. The dealers over here were frowning on my Mod questions. It put me on the fence on the CAI and tune.

i can verify that my car has these markings too. most of it is tire rubber from mounting but some is light scratching. guess i can live with it. i am going to point this out to the dealer but not holding my breath.....

Archived