TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Convertible Storage

MACHMAN

Need your thoughts. For long term storage (several months), would it be best to leave the top up and UNLATCHED to releave the tension on the fabric (reduce stretching). My thinking is that if the fabric is in a relaxed state (for storage), when driving season arrives and the top is up and latched the top will remain taught with a good tight fit? Does this make any sense, or am I just thinking too much as I sit in the garage with a brew, waiting for spring.

Need your thoughts. For long term storage (several months), would it be best to leave the top up and UNLATCHED to releave the tension on the fabric (reduce stretching). My thinking is that if the fabric is in a relaxed state (for storage), when driving season arrives and the top is up and latched the top will remain taught with a good tight fit? Does this make any sense, or am I just thinking too much as I sit in the garage with a brew, waiting for spring.

Unless the car will be subject to extreme tempature changes during its storage I would not be too concerned with the fabric stretching out for being in the closed or latched position for an extended period of time. Besides, if any stretching does occur, parking the car with the roof latched in the warm sunshine for an hour or so will pull any wrinkle out of the fabric.

ALWAYS latched. They will absolutely, positively shrink. Been there...done that.

bj

Though the material is not the same, I keep my '69 convertible top up to prevent wrinkles. No signs of stretching observed.

And I thought I was the only one who had a chair next to my 'stangs dreaming of spring... :hysterical:

Archived