TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Datelogging config file?

pmustang

A buddy over here recommended I use Justin for a pulley and tune setup. I have that now as my father brought it over. He has now asked me to email Justin and ask for a Datalogging config file. I have that now. A simple question. What the hell is it? Do I do this before I install the Tune or after? Also how do folks with a manual/stick trans get the car up to redline for the recommended period of time if you don't want to spend the readies to go to the dyno? I figure this file is collected by the SCT tuner? Sorry for my ignorance.

Peter

A buddy over here recommended I use Justin for a pulley and tune setup. I have that now as my father brought it over. He has now asked me to email Justin and ask for a Datalogging config file. I have that now. A simple question. What the hell is it? Do I do this before I install the Tune or after? Also how do folks with a manual/stick trans get the car up to redline for the recommended period of time if you don't want to spend the readies to go to the dyno? I figure this file is collected by the SCT tuner? Sorry for my ignorance. this is a test of several different functions that justin uses to check your tune it gives him the ability to see how your car is responding to his tune and after you datalog it with his config you email it to him then he will see if he needs to adjust it I like to dyno it also so he can check the A/f but if you just want to data log it justin likes a short idle log then another SLOW rev to 1000 to 5500 then another 3rd or 4th gear wot pull from 1000 rpm to 6200

justin is the best tuner out there his tunes are great . you do this after the tune and pulley install 428cj

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

A buddy over here recommended I use Justin for a pulley and tune setup. I have that now as my father brought it over. He has now asked me to email Justin and ask for a Datalogging config file. I have that now. A simple question. What the hell is it? Do I do this before I install the Tune or after? Also how do folks with a manual/stick trans get the car up to redline for the recommended period of time if you don't want to spend the readies to go to the dyno? I figure this file is collected by the SCT tuner? Sorry for my ignorance.

Peter

You load the tune first. Then you open SCT's Live Link software, then open the config. file. Then you start datalogging.

You load the tune first. Then you open SCT's Live Link software, then open the config. file. Then you start datalogging.

And here is how Justin says to datalog the car to create the file you need to send him

http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78

>

These instructions are for those that have purchased Remote Tuning from me with an X-Cal2. You must be familiar with wiring and Windows to do this.

To hook a wideband up to the x-cal2 you will need the analog input cable. The male end of the cable goes into the top of the X-cal2, you will cut the female end of the cable off to expose the wires.

I have found that the wire colors inside the cable are not always consistent, you will need to use a multimeter to find out which wire corresponds with analog 1, analog 2, and ground.

The Innovate Motorsports LC-1 or LM-1 wideband will have 2 programmable analog outputs, and an analog ground. You only need one of the analog outputs, you will connect it to analog 1 on the x-cal2 analog input cable. You'll connect the ground wires together. Follow the Innovate Motorsports instructions.

I recomend using Live Link 2.1.8, it seems to be the most stable. You can download it here:

www.VMPTuning.com/sct/LiveLink2.1.8.zip right click>save as

WARNING! this is not an installer, you must open the zip files, extract all the files to a directory of your choosing (say c:\LiveLink) and then create a shortcut on your desktop to easily access the program.

You will need to datalog the following parameters for remote tuning:

Air Temp

Coolant Temp

O2 sensor voltage bank 1 sensor 1 (front O2 sensor)

O2 sensor voltage bank 2 sensor 1 (front O2 sensor)

Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1

Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2

Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1

Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2

MAF Counts (MAF volts instead on 05+)

Load

Engine speed aka RPM

Spark

Max Allowed Spark

MBT Spark

Idle Air Integrator

Idle Speed Learned Correction (there are 4 of them)

Desired Idle RPM

Idle Speed Valve Duty Cycle

Throttle position absolue

Battery Voltage

Time running

Vehicle Speed

99+ returnless fuel systems car only:

Fuel Pump Duty Cycle

Pressure drop across fuel injectors

Vehicles with IMRCs such as 01-04 V6 Mustangs, 96-98 Cobras, 97-04 4.2 F150s:

Datalog IMRC position bank 1 and 2

Knock sensor for vehicles with that feature.

For Automatic cars:

Trans temp

Commanded Gear

Speed ratio across converter

Torque Converter Clutch Duty Cycle

Commanded TV Pressure

Calculated Engine Torque

Analog 1 for the wideband will also need to be selected from the list of items to datalog. You will need to input a formula into Live Link so the A/F displays properly. Right click Analog 1, and input the formula. For the LC-1 use the formula "V / 0.3324 + 7.35" and for the LM-1 use "V / .5 + 10". You will need to verify that the Live Link software is correctly displaying the A/F. You can do that by comparing it to the screen on the LM-1 or hooking up the serial connection on the LC-1 to your PC and verifying the a/f with the Innovate Log Works software.

The upper case paramaters are DMRs and preferred over the lower case parameters which are PIDs. The upper case ones get updated quicker. On 94-04 vehicles with the EEC processor you can datalog up to 35 DMRs and the Analog inputs. For the 05+ vehicles with the newer style processor you can only datalog 10 DMRs (uppercase parameters), the rest of the items dataloged must be lower case PIDs. The maximum of 35 still applies.

If they all don't fit on the screen thats fine, you can right click and change the font size.

You can download the latest SCT programs here:

http://sctflash.com/downloads.php

You can find the SCT Forums here:

http://www.sctflash.com/forum/

How to configure and use Live Link for datalogging:

http://www.sctflash.com/docs/live_link_demo.htm

On some older cars, IE 94-95, all of those parameters won't be available, just use as many as possible. Sometimes the name may be a little different, IE engine speed and RPM, but they are the same thing.

Once you have configured the Live Link software and Wideband to datalog all the info you will need to gather it in this fashion:

First, start the car up, let it warm up, then start logging at idle for a few seconds, over the period of about 20sec slowly rev it from idle to 6k, don't step the RPMs-just keep them steadily going up. If we are just starting to dial in the tune on a heavily modified car it may not want to rev from being too rich or too lean, thats fine, just do the best you can. If you have LTs the O2 sensors may not be working very well, and we may have to work off the wideband. Turbo kit cars must have the front O2 sensors between the turbocharger and engine, not after the turbo, I have seen too many problems with them after the turbo.

The part throttle tuning you can do in the garage, which is good if you don't have access to a laptop all the time, you can just need a long USB cable to get the xcal2 hooked up to your PC.

If you don't have a laptop then for WOT tuning you will need a wideband that datalogs internally like the LM-1 or the dynojet wideband commanded. I can not tune with just a/f data alone, I need to reference it to something like RPM or maf voltage, preferable MAF voltage. The maf wire you would need to tap into is MAF wire D blue with red stripe (for 04 and older).

For WOT tuning an NA car you can get away with making pulls in 2nd gear, from 1000rpm to the rev limit (usually around 6k), for higher HP cars you will need to use 3rd, and in some case 4th gears (5spds). The lower the RPM the pull starts, the better. For auto guys I can give you a special file that locks the converter at a low MPH in 2nd, or a special file that locks you in 3rd.

For WOT tuning a boosted car a wideband is required. For WOT tuning a mild NA car it is possible to use the stock O2s to get the a/f dialed in pretty well, but requires a special tune file from me before you can datalog WOT a/f with the stock O2s. On a boosted car if the a/f goes leaner than 12.5-13.0 at WOT, and stays there, you need to get out of it and get a richer file. On a boosted car, keep an eye on your wideband while making the intial pulls.

I only need 1 datalog of each type (neutral rev and WOT run). If I need more than that I will ask you.

Also, some cars will need the idle air settings tweaked. To datalog that information you need to warm the car up, reset the computer by flashing it or disconnecting the battery, start the car up, start datalogging, let the idle speed settle back down to normal (on initial startup it idles higher), then let it idle in drive for a minute with ac off, then with ac on, then neutral with ac off, then neutral with ac on. If your idle is way off then I may send you a special file that locks the idle air valve duty cycle at 35%, then you would adjust the stop screw on the TB until the car idles at the commanded RPM (usually 800-900rpm for manuals).

Okay I understand about a tenth of what was written there, I guess I need to be 12 and know a heck of alot more about computers than I already do.

So from folks experience what type of change can I expect with the pulley and tune installed on my car?

Looks like it is going to happen next sunday so looking forward to it but any comments most welcome.

I assume I don't have to do this datalog thing, its just suggested to get max performance from the change right?

Peter

Archived