TEAM SHELBY FORUM

"Gone in 60 Seconds"

joebob948

Just got finished watching "Gone in 60 Seconds" on USA within the past hour! One can just salivate with all those exotic and muscle cars---of course culminating with Nicholas Cage stealing and taking "Eleanor" for the ride of a lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!! :lurk:

I was working at the Dry Dock in Long Beach when they were filming for

this Movie on the Pier..........One of my favorite films and the 67 GT500

looks like the Pinnicle Mustang to own..........

Question for those in the Know???????

Was the "Eleanor" version GT500 available in the Late 1960s or was it

originated from the "Gone in 60 Seconds" film??????

I was working at the Dry Dock in Long Beach when they were filming for

this Movie on the Pier..........One of my favorite films and the 67 GT500

looks like the Pinnicle Mustang to own..........

Question for those in the Know???????

Was the "Eleanor" version GT500 available in the Late 1960s or was it

originated from the "Gone in 60 Seconds" film??????

No, it was not available in the 60's and 70's the way you saw the GT500 in the movie. The cars used were both 67 and 68 fastbacks that were modified visually for the movie. Cinema Vehicle ? or "CVS" is a hollywood based company that builds cars for movies. One of the three designers that helped build the movie cars was none other than Chip Foose. From what I understand, side exiting exhaust were nonfunctional. The original "Gone in 60 Seconds" movie from 1973 used the 73 fastback as the "Eleanor" car. At the time, remember, the muscle car era was ending and the 73 was going to be the last Mustang muscle car to be built, so that is why "Eleanor" was considered a high order vehicle for the original movie. I to am a fan, and if you have not seen the original, you have to treat yourself and see it. The original movies' "Eleanor" chase seen last for about 30 minutes

It's amazing how many people think all 67-68 GT 500's look like Eleanor! "Hollywood Magic" twists the truth again! The original is even more amazing with no big-name stars, just a bunch of guys wrecking cars over and over and over again! It's a hoot!

AND, I'm pretty sure, the original was done with ONE car. I saw the documentary on making the original, long ago, and after the unscripted light pole hit they thought they would have to get a replacement car. To everyone's surprise the car still ran and drove so they continued with the same car.

AND, I'm pretty sure, the original was done with ONE car. I saw the documentary on making the original, long ago, and after the unscripted light pole hit they thought they would have to get a replacement car. To everyone's surprise the car still ran and drove so they continued with the same car.

I believe they used two cars. One was the nicer of the two. The other was used for all the stunts. Anytime the car was mechanically damaged, they fixed or pounded out the problem, then kept filming. Mr.Halicki did all the stunts himself. He was not suppose to hit the pole on the freeway seen, but they left it in the movie. He did break some ribs in that shot. What I love about the old version of "Gone in 60 Seconds" is that it shows just how tuff and how much abuse good old American iron can take. Being a Ford Mustang makes it that much better. In 2001 at a Mustang show at the Santa Monica airport, I got to see one of the new Eleneors parked next to the original 73 Eleneor. To this day the original is banged up and unmolested, just the way it left the movie set. Unfortunately, I took a home video of that show and for some reason, the video got ruined otherwise I would love to share pictures.

I loved the original, have a copy on VHS "remember those"?. Hitting the pole on the freeway was not supposed to happen, but it did and they left it in.

Now who thinks that a brand new 2011 Mustang could take the sort of dammage that the original did ? I don't think so.

Okay then.............I watched the entire original movie today and liked it.........

Hard to believe he wrecked the 73 Mach1 that bad and still drivable.......

Yes it is a Hoot seeing all those cars get wrecked............

Archived