TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Michelin Pilot Super Sports to replace PS2

marsh2o

Tire Rack has announced Michelin has released the new Pilot Super Sports as a replacement for the PS2:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=141

The two sizes currrently available (285/30-20 and 315/35/-20) seem perfect for Shelbys with 20" wheels:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Super+Sport&

That Pilot Sport sounds like a great tire. To bad no 19 inchers.

How do the RE-11's compare the the Stock F1's, for example on a scale of 1-10 for straight line traction, and for cornering?

I was looking at tires for my 2010 inthe 19 inch, and was considering Conti's DW, BFG KDW, Michelin PS2's, Nitto INVO, and maybe now the bridgstones RE-11's. I was initially leaning towards the DW's, but I would like to get feedback from anyone on these tires.

Not a whole lot of choices int he 19 inch rim.

The cornering on the F1's seems to be ok, but straight line there is A LOT of room for improvement.

That Pilot Sport sounds like a great tire. To bad no 19 inchers.

How do the RE-11's compare the the Stock F1's, for example on a scale of 1-10 for straight line traction, and for cornering?

I was looking at tires for my 2010 inthe 19 inch, and was considering Conti's DW, BFG KDW, Michelin PS2's, Nitto INVO, and maybe now the bridgstones RE-11's. I was initially leaning towards the DW's, but I would like to get feedback from anyone on these tires.

I have a few thousand miles on a set of Michelin PS2s (F: 285/30-20, R: 335/30-20) and they are a VAST improvement over the original F1s. I have no experience with any of the other summer tires,but the Michelins have been really great -- lots more grip (both in straight line and cornering traction), quieter, and smoother riding over normal road surfaces -- although, due to the shorter sidewalls (from moving up to 20" wheels) they are harsher over speed bumps. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

I new a replacement for the PS2s was in the works after attending the Paris Auto Show this year (which I was lucky enough to be able to attend while on business there). Michelin had a PS3 tire on display, which I think is the European name for the new Super Sports. Given that only two sizes have been released in the US, it may be a while before there is a Super Sport equivalent for all the PS2 sizes but, given the relative performance of the PS2s in recent comparison tests (on Tire Rack and several auto mags), I think they remain a good choice.

• 2 months later...

I checked them out and the rears are 2" taller than the fronts, not cool.

The 335/30-20 is 28" in diam., the 285/30-20 is 26.9" -- so only a 1.1" difference, which really isn't bad at all. There is no apparent increase in understeer from the staggered sizes. In fact, it feels more neutral to me than with the original Goodyears -- and a lot more grip.

The tire guys really need to make a 315/30/20 size for the modern muscle cars running 20x11 or similar rims.

x2

Right now the only option in that size is the Toyo R888 drag radial.

Great for aggressive driving but not a good daily option.

Archived