TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Which one piece drive shaft

dingo2008

Just wondering which one piece drive shaft are you using? Have you noticed any vibrations at 120+mph? Why did you pick the one you have over others?

Thanks

Ryan

I picked a PST Carbon Fiber unit over any others. I made that decsion based on my experience with CF in racing. CF axles were actually banned in our Quarter Midget racing (QMA) because they were considered "too high tech" and costly.

Carbon Fiber is stronger and lighter than steel or aluminium, per pound. It is however, more costly. If money were an issue, I would have used aluminium.

Having said that, I have not received my PST driveshaft from VMP yet. There is apparently a problem with the CV joint supply so I can not give you a first hand experience with it on my GT500.

Oh, which brings up another issue...I chose the PST CV driveshaft because it has a CV joint on one end as opposed to common u-joints like other driveshafts. The CV joint eliminates the use of a slip-yoke, which is the mitigating factor in driveshaft vibration.

HTH,

Phill

that cv joint is why I would like to buy the carbon fiber one also, but just wish the aluminum drive shafts would use it also.

Go straight to PST's site. They're easy to deal with and communicate well.

They make "custom" driveshafts so I'd bet money you could get a Al. DS with the CV joint end on it.

I think it's just PST.com...I found it with google.

Nope, here it is:

http://www.pstds.com/index.htm

Look in the CUSTOM MADE DRIVESHAFTS section, in the Street/Strip Aluminium Driveshaft sub-section:

http://www.pstds.com/order_aluminum.htm

Fill in the blanks and they'll get back to you.

FWIW, they were only a few bucks cheaper than Justin at VMP so I gave Justin my business since he's such a big help here on Team Shelby. And you get the same product....

Phill

I picked a PST Carbon Fiber unit over any others. I made that decsion based on my experience with CF in racing. CF axles were actually banned in our Quarter Midget racing (QMA) because they were considered "too high tech" and costly.

Carbon Fiber is stronger and lighter than steel or aluminium, per pound. It is however, more costly. If money were an issue, I would have used aluminium.

Having said that, I have not received my PST driveshaft from VMP yet. There is apparently a problem with the CV joint supply so I can not give you a first hand experience with it on my GT500.

Oh, which brings up another issue...I chose the PST CV driveshaft because it has a CV joint on one end as opposed to common u-joints like other driveshafts. The CV joint eliminates the use of a slip-yoke, which is the mitigating factor in driveshaft vibration.

HTH,

Phill

PST provided the CF shaft for my SuperSnake with 9" Currie. They are easy to deal with, honest, informative...oh, & build a great product! My driveshaft has a CV joint @ tranny end. No vibration @ 120 mph+ on dragstrip. And, IF you manage to somehow break one- it disintegrates & should not cause any other damages. It's lighter in weight , the rotational mass is less, so it spins easier. Thanks, JW

Archived