TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buy Shelby heat exchanger tomorrow or buy affco dual fan one

dingo2008

Ready to buy the Shelby one tomorrow but is it actually better than the affco, even though it's a little smaller than the affco. Just want some peoples opinions before I buy in the morning

If you buy the Shelby now during the holiday sale, it will be the real deal at a lower price. I think both are great, but only one Shelby for the register.

"but only one Shelby for the register" say what :lurk:

I honestly don't know if there is a difference and I have had both. I am sure there is, but I never got the gadgets or got down and dirty to see. I do know Van's gear answers the mail. What I also know is that Van gets the award for tech assistance and customer service. He has helped me several times with this and other products that aren't even been his. So if it is a close call, I would go with Van's product, just to get the pleasure of dealing with him.

ck

I honestly don't know if there is a difference and I have had both. I am sure there is, but I never got the gadgets or got down and dirty to see. I do know Van's gear answers the mail. What I also know is that Van gets the award for tech assistance and customer service. He has helped me several times with this and other products that aren't even been his. So if it is a close call, I would go with Van's product, just to get the pleasure of dealing with him.

ck

+1

Van is a big help to our Shelby family.

Van's service along with the Revan/Shelby Heat Exchangers or Radiator, and their performance makes him the number one choice. I have tried both units and Van's willingness to support his products is second to none, and is World Class. I needed a heat exchanger for an very special install and Van made sure it happen and got the product over-nighted to the shop and the project was completed on time even though I could not get the heat exchanger anywhere else in the country. Thanks for the awesome customer service.

Scotty

Ready to buy the Shelby one tomorrow but is it actually better than the affco, even though it's a little smaller than the affco. Just want some peoples opinions before I buy in the morning

I was about to order a AFCO from one of the registered vendors here on TS. I brought up a photo of each (Shelby & AFCO) and noticed that the Shelby has WAY more distance between the fans than the AFCO does.

That leads me to believe that the Shelby/Revan (C&R) is LARGER than the AFCO.

There's about a 100 dollar difference...

I know of C&R from my NASCAR experience. They are TOPS and are pretty much used by 99% of the pro (Trucks, Busch & Cup) NASCAR boys.

Having said that, does anyone know FOR SURE? I'm pretty sure but that's just from comparing photo's of each. If I remember right, they both use the same size fans so the ONLY way to get more room between the fans (since they both sit at the outter perimeter) is to have a larger core.

Hell, a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks I could use elsewhere!

Phill.

OK,I have a question also, I know that the Revan and afco are different products. But where does the C&R fit in. Is the C&R the same as Revan ? Or are they a different H/E and Radiator also. I live in Indianapolis and have gone thru C&R shop and have seen them being made first hand and it is an awesome place. They also make the overflow tanks there as well.

C&r makes the heat exchanger for revan racin/Shelby, I was told the affco one is a generic heat exchanger that affco uses for there setup so they are different from each other. I bought the revan racing one cause it's only a street car and I just wanted better cooling for when I'm going stop light to stop light in the hot summer days. I thought about buying the affco because it is a little bigger but figured if c&r radiators are good for NASCAR and Indy it must be good. Plus I was told since the affco is a little taller you can see the intercooler pump on the 2010 and 2011 Gt500s I have a 2008 but still if Shelby sells it on their site they must chosen it over others.

revan heat exchanger ordered thanks

Good choice RG.

I was about to order a AFCO from one of the registered vendors here on TS. I brought up a photo of each (Shelby & AFCO) and noticed that the Shelby has WAY more distance between the fans than the AFCO does.

That leads me to believe that the Shelby/Revan (C&R) is LARGER than the AFCO.

There's about a 100 dollar difference...

I know of C&R from my NASCAR experience. They are TOPS and are pretty much used by 99% of the pro (Trucks, Busch & Cup) NASCAR boys.

Having said that, does anyone know FOR SURE? I'm pretty sure but that's just from comparing photo's of each. If I remember right, they both use the same size fans so the ONLY way to get more room between the fans (since they both sit at the outter perimeter) is to have a larger core.

Hell, a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks I could use elsewhere!

Phill.

The AFCO unit has more rows and is thicker and denser (reduced airflow) and as mentioned in this thread is a generic radiator core that has been used in general purpose automobiles for over 20 years. AFCO made their heat exchanger 1" taller than the Shelby Heat Exchanger and used 1" larger fans. The difference is in the core technology. It is a NASCAR Proprietary core used in the Shelby/C&R/Revan Heat Exchanger. Temperature Recovery times are much better and cooling efficiency is better as well. I've data logged both and the Shelby is the winner. I've also data logged cars at Shelby on the test track and there was no comparison, the AFCO got smoked. Shelby doesn't just slap their name on it unless they know it works and we went out there and proved that it worked.

OK,I have a question also, I know that the Revan and afco are different products. But where does the C&R fit in. Is the C&R the same as Revan ? Or are they a different H/E and Radiator also. I live in Indianapolis and have gone thru C&R shop and have seen them being made first hand and it is an awesome place. They also make the overflow tanks there as well.

Revan Racing worked with C&R in the initial development stages of a cooling system for the GT500 in mid 2008. I approached C&R as an enthusiast who was road racing his GT500 and needed to address my own personal cooling issues and needs. I quickly found out I was not the only one and I began to find a number of other enthusiasts on Team Shelby and other forums that were also interested in what I had developed and tested and data logged in the products I developed with C&R. Eventually, through a lot of hard work and due diligence Shelby took a look at the data I had compiled and then saw first hand the advantages of the cooling package for not only GT500's and Super Snakes but all S197 platform cars.

C&R makes the product for Revan Racing and for Shelby. Radiators, Heat Exchangers and Reservoirs for the Super Snake, GT500 , Shelby GT, Shelby GT/S and the GT350 and basically any 2005 and up S197 Mustang.

Van

Revan Racing

No doubt about it, Van is an absolute professional! His service is absolutely outstanding and the product quality is second to none. I had a few issues with my original H/E that were completely out of Van's control, but he still dropped what he was doing and made them right. He made sure that I was taken care of and made a priority with C&R and was also right there personally to answer any questions I had about the install.

If I had it to do over again, even with the minor problems I had, I would have done the exact same thing and ordered the Revan Racing H/E from Van.

On a side note, the H/E has been installed for a while now and is working flawlessly. The fans and relay kits are great quality and the instructions were very easy to follow.

i ordered the Shelby unit from Lethal. they sent the Afco. my car was already at the shop getting worked on. when i called Lethal, they said the Shelby unit was on a 4-6 week back order. so i had no choice but to use the Afco. for normal street and drag use, the Afco has been fine. i really wanted the Shelby unit, but that's life.

Archived