TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Too quiet.

pmustang

Since getting the shelby I have been too worried about making it annoying on the highway, I have had several loud mustangs in the past and at over 40 and with the wife going most places with me I just don't want an endless drone.

but would like some more noise.

my friend had SLP loudmouths which sounded awesome but just a tad loo harsh so went for SLP powerflows. (car sounded the nuts with no exhusts at all and not half as loud as you would think, They are okay but not quite loud enough

Went for the CAI to try and bring some S/C noise into the equation and its a slight improvement but not enough

I have now bought one of Justins pulleys and a tune. I am thinking that should raise the noise a bit from the S/C due to the faster spin, Anyone have any comment?

Peter

I just put KR's on my GT500 yesterday and all I can say is WOW...

(thanks to blazeone for selling them to me!)

They sound real nice, not obnoxious, but a great GROWL...

I would highly recommend this as a "first step" toward a bit more "noise"

I have also been thinking of getting a CAI and KR mufflers ans I have heard they are great for the sound and no drown, but I have looked in the Shelby Performance part web site and could not locate them. Can you give me a web site where I can get the KR muffler. Also while I asking do you know what manufacturer of CAI is recommended to go with the KR mufflers? Thanks Rob

I have also been thinking of getting a CAI and KR mufflers ans I have heard they are great for the sound and no drown, but I have looked in the Shelby Performance part web site and could not locate them. Can you give me a web site where I can get the KR muffler. Also while I asking do you know what manufacturer of CAI is recommended to go with the KR mufflers? Thanks Rob

This is where I got mine and I love them http://www.blueovalindustries.com/exhaust/2005-2009/gt500.html

Make sure you look for the KR axle backs

You can get the FRPP CAI and SCT tuner from VMP Tuning AT vmptuning.com. With the CAI you have to get a tune or you will run to lean and hurt your engine. You can get the KR's from FRPP at fordracingparts.com. Email Justin Starkey at VMP and he can help you.

In my opinion, Justin is one of if not the best GT500 tuner around. With FRPP CAI, FRPP KR's, and VMP 2.59 pulley and idler, Justin tuned my 08 GT500 to 561.64 RWHP and 558.38 RWTQ. I personally like to stay with Ford Racing Perfomance Parts if I can. Just got my FRPP 3.73 gears. Can't wait to get them in.

Sounds like the pulley and the tune were the way to go, I have them here ready to go on. Justin did one tune for me on the SCT and I have been told he is the best. I have SLP exhausts now and the tips and quality of the units are what sold me. I could not believe how easy the Factory system came off and the SLP set up went on. I am used to vintage mustangs which had clamps that once done up made the pipes impossible to split without destroying them, I will look out for a take off KR system but in the UK that may be a long time, I would want to hear it in person as the thought of buying another set up and having it too loud would be a real bummer but it sounds like the right choice from what you are all saying.

I have the K&N CAI so not going to sell that and buy the Ford one although it does seem to be the one of choice. I found it VERY expensive compared to the K&N at the time so went for the K&N

cheers. Peter

My buddy had headers and SLP loudmouths on his GT and it was just too loud, sounded great when he was coming at you but from driving behind it got on your nerves, Can't imagine how it sounded in the car. I am told mine sounds great but is so quiet in the car (thats probably the best way)

Fun this modifying malarky, I swore I would do any.

Peter

I had the same issue, as I bought a New 09 Vert and it was WAY too quiet. Had it 5 days and went back and had the FRPP Cai, Tune, and 5230-S KR Axle-backs installed and kept the warranty intact. Also dropped the Rear with the Roush R. Springs and Adj. Panhard bar. Looking at new Ford Racing gears next...3.55 or 3.73's???? What Freeway RPM's would I be turning in 6th gear at say 65, 70, 75, and 80 with the 3.73's??? Thanx...

This is where I got mine and I love them http://www.blueovali...2009/gt500.html

Make sure you look for the KR axle backs

Thanks for all the input on the KR mufflers and CAI.

Is there a place in Irvine, Southern California that someone can recommend to get the tune done if I put a CAI on to my 500, Rob

Rob: If you get the FRPP Tune and Cai package and you are installing the Cai, the tune comes to you in a chip that is put in the Ford tuner. Just plug it in and follow the on-screen instructions. If you are doing the version to keep the warranty intact, any dealer can do it, the labor charge should be about an hour. I did the Ford Racing Tuner and Cai, and added the KR Axle-backs. Buyfordracing.com or blueovalindustries.com probably have the best pricing. I got the dealer to charge me the lower buyfordracing pricing. I'm in OC, PM me if you want any other info. Good luck

Rob: If you get the FRPP Tune and Cai package and you are installing the Cai, the tune comes to you in a chip that is put in the Ford tuner. Just plug it in and follow the on-screen instructions. If you are doing the version to keep the warranty intact, any dealer can do it, the labor charge should be about an hour. I did the Ford Racing Tuner and Cai, and added the KR Axle-backs. Buyfordracing.com or blueovalindustries.com probably have the best pricing. I got the dealer to charge me the lower buyfordracing pricing. I'm in OC, PM me if you want any other info. Good luck

Thanks mate I really do appreciate the info. I will figure out what I want to do and get in touch with you if I need some help or more advise, Rob

When I ran my 2007 w/o mufflers during the install of the SLPs it sounds awesome, Nice and throaty with no harshness. I could not believe it? My toyota four runner sounded like a B52 at full throttle and the stang just sounded great. Maybe it has silencers higher up the chain than the axle backs I removed. I did not look at the time.

Peter

Ok, so how much difference in sound does the KR H-pipe add in addition to the KR mufflers? Also has anyone tried just a muffler delete option and how did it sound?

Check with Grabber on the difference the "H" pipe makes and what it takes to install it.

Ok, so how much difference in sound does the KR H-pipe add in addition to the KR mufflers? Also has anyone tried just a muffler delete option and how did it sound?

I 1st just had KR's installed and they sounded great, but not quite what I wanted. I got the Powerhouse Racing H pipe, which is basically a KR H pipe and that was the sound I wanted. The H pipe adds a "popping" sound when you let off the gas and creates that muscle car burble sound that I really like. Here's what mine sounds like.

In my opinion, the KR's sound better than any exhaust setup I have ever heard (as others have mentioned, no drone, quiet at low RPM's and fairly loud at higher RPM's). I do think the H-Pipe is a critical component of the overall sound...and it appears that Shelby is selling the originals now:

Linky

Good luck on whatever you decide...but I don't think you will disappointed one bit with this setup!

• 1 month later...

Okay, just bought KR mufflers from a forum member, I read all your suggestions and it was about 100% that they don't drone and sound great, Thank you!! and now the long wait til the boat brings them over sometime in late march/early april. (and you guys think you have it bad!) so what is the deal with this H Pipe? is it as easy to bolt on as the mufflers. Really impressed how the old ones came off and my powerflow (drone monsters) went on, The H pipe I assume is up near the front, does it just bolt in place or is cutting/welding involved?

Regards: Peter

Okay, just bought KR mufflers from a forum member, I read all your suggestions and it was about 100% that they don't drone and sound great, Thank you!! and now the long wait til the boat brings them over sometime in late march/early april. (and you guys think you have it bad!) so what is the deal with this H Pipe? is it as easy to bolt on as the mufflers. Really impressed how the old ones came off and my powerflow (drone monsters) went on, The H pipe I assume is up near the front, does it just bolt in place or is cutting/welding involved?

Regards: Peter

You cut the Y pipe out & clamp the H pipe in.Not so sure you need it I run the kr mufflers with the Y pipe sounds great, suggest you try them first & then you can decide .

I am praying the KRs don't drone (as most have said they don't) and give a nice but not annoying noise, Took off the SLPs and put on the stockers for now this Saturday and I have to say its a relief to not have the horrid 2k RMP drone but miss the noise upon acceleration and such.

I should have the KR units april or so when the boat gets here. would love to see a piccy of someone how has cut out the factory bit and put in the H pipe to get an idea of what that involves. Was under the car on Saturday and have an idea but can't see you you can cut out some of the pipe and slide in the H unless its flanged at both ends and you remove the back parts of the pipes to then move them into the H.

Peter

Archived