TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A Charlie Brown Christmas

We watched this with our kids (who are now 30 and 28) every year, and my youngest reminded me it was on so I recorded it and we are just finishing watching it now.

This article was in the Denver Post this week

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_16850166

All of the Charlie Brown shows were great. This one was the best. The music (jazz) was great.

It would be considered politically incorrect today I suppose. I doubt it would be made today and am amazed that anyone (currently ABC) telecasts it all for fear of offending non-Christians.

"Schulz insisted on one core purpose: "A Charlie Brown Christmas" had to be about something. Namely, the true meaning of Christmas. Mendelson and Melendez asked Schulz whether he was sure he wanted to include Biblical text in the special. The cartoonist's response, Mendelson recalls: "If we don't do it, who will?"

Definitely my favorite Christmas Special of all time. I love it. It's nice watching it once you are an adult too - lots of things missed and maybe a few things here and there that you didn't understand when you were a kid.

And I always related to Charlie Brown...."Rats. Nobody sent me a Christmas card today....I almost wish there weren't a holiday season. I know nobody likes me....Why do we have to have a holiday season to emphasize it? "

Love it. Really reminds me of a part of my childhood. The ABC owned channels in the Los Angeles market (KABC, ABC Family Channel, etc.) have been running it once a week since just before Thanksgiving, in fact it ran again last night.

Great music, great animation, classic characters.

Merry Christmas everyone.

It's nice watching it once you are an adult too - lots of things missed and maybe a few things here and there that you didn't understand when you were a kid.

Childrens' shows almost always contain an adult theme. All of the Charlie Brown ones are like that. And if you're in for a laugh watch the entire Rocky and Bullwinkle series.

Love it. Really reminds me of a part of my childhood. The ABC owned channels in the Los Angeles market (KABC, ABC Family Channel, etc.) have been running it once a week since just before Thanksgiving, in fact it ran again last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQeKdvXliIU

I watched this snippet and also wondered... If the Charlie Brown cartoons were made today they would be Disney-esque computer animation. Kids that had never seen the originals would love them. Anyone who had seen the originals would, I think, prefer the simplicity of the originals. Hand drawn animation has its place when you are trying to tell the story and not tout animation skills (not that the folks that did the C. Brown cartoons weren't skilled - they were.)

I agree it has great music and animation and characters, but.......It's the story that is told that means so much to me.

Specifically this part:

Perhaps the most famous Christmas event ever. From lunar orbit, Christmas Eve, 1968.

And by today's measure, the ultimate political incorrectness.

Wow Tony - I was only 8 when that happened and I don't remember it. I Imagine that was played on national TV? Thanks for sharing it with us.

It's funny what our nation used to recognize back in the 60's and now has thrown aside. IMO we were a better nation back then.

Wow Tony - I was only 8 when that happened and I don't remember it. I Imagine that was played on national TV? Thanks for sharing it with us.

It's funny what our nation used to recognize back in the 60's and now has thrown aside. IMO we were a better nation back then.

Yes, it was telecast live. I remember it well.

The Snoopy thing reminded me of another event.

On Christmas Eve, 1914 , many in several locations on the Western Front British, French and German soldiers ceased firing on each other and made an unofficial truce. The event was portrayed in a movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyeux_No%C3%ABl

There were even soccer games on the battlefield. It does show that wars are between nations and not men. I'm sure the lesson here has been lost.

Great post BJ!!!! Thanks!

It's funny, you know? Certain things bring back memories very fondly....a smell, a Facebook poke from an old high school friend, or a certain song.

My point is that, the (jazzy) song they play when he is hunting for the 'perfect' tree...brings back teary memories for me. I really don't know why, but I truly love that song! When it comes on the radio during this period of radio station Christmas song blitz, I get transported back to childhood immediately!

Thank you for that! :salute:

Great post BJ!!!! Thanks!

It's funny, you know? Certain things bring back memories very fondly....a smell, a Facebook poke from an old high school friend, or a certain song.

My point is that, the (jazzy) song they play when he is hunting for the 'perfect' tree...brings back teary memories for me. I really don't know why, but I truly love that song! When it comes on the radio during this period of radio station Christmas song blitz, I get transported back to childhood immediately!

Thank you for that! :salute:

BIKEBOY,

We can all thank the genius of jazz pianist Vince Guaraldi for the great soundtrack of "A Charlie Brown Christmas". His rendition of O Tannenbaum is a classic

Of course, Guaraldi is most noted for this blockbuster hit http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PddZZ83Be8E which launched his most successful years and led to his relationship with Charles Schulz.

PS: The drummer of the V. G. Trio is still with us... and even has a Canadian connection http://www.cbc.ca/ar...wn-halifax.html .

BIKEBOY,

We can all thank the genius of jazz pianist Vince Guaraldi for the great soundtrack of "A Charlie Brown Christmas". His rendition of O Tannenbaum is a classic

Of course, Guaraldi is most noted for this blockbuster hit http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PddZZ83Be8E which launched his most successful years and led to his relationship with Charles Schulz.

PS: The drummer of the V. G. Trio is still with us... and even has a Canadian connection http://www.cbc.ca/ar...wn-halifax.html .

Thanks for that SVT NAJA!!! You wanted to see a grown man cry, didn't ya!? :salute:

Merry Xmas buddy!

• 11 months later...

Perhaps the most famous Christmas event ever. From lunar orbit, Christmas Eve, 1968.

And by today's measure, the ultimate political incorrectness.

I think of this every year - it was one of those defining moments both because of the space flight but also the message. My grandpa got to see the moon landing - it was one of his "defining moments" having been born in 1898 and seeing all of the advances - airplanes, cars, jets, computers.

Archived