TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gears

Thinking about 3.73's or 4.10's. Opinions and comments wanted! Also, what is a better gear for track racing. Not drag racing. I'm more of a road course track race guy. And will the 4.10's give you a kick in the pants doing a 40mph roll and hitting the gas? Or is it all just off the line?

"Search" can be your friend.

Discussions of 4.10's. Started as automatic trans but relevant

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63275-410s-on-an-automatic/

And about 3.90s

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/63348-why-not-390s/

Both of these are active topics with replies in the last few hours.

IMO-

Anything lower then 3.73's would not work as well in my N/A SGT on the track's I run....

Portland 2.1 miles long with long front and back streach (top of 4th around 128-130mph)

Pacific Raceway with a super long and fast front streach (140mph+), I end up in 5th on the front streach.

With that said-

My 1/2 day of experiance I had at Pacific Raceway in a boosted car (580hp/525tq) the 3.55's it had worked really good with the added torque and HP

=-=-=-=-==-=-

Thinking about 3.73's or 4.10's. Opinions and comments wanted! Also, what is a better gear for track racing. Not drag racing. I'm more of a road course track race guy. And will the 4.10's give you a kick in the pants doing a 40mph roll and hitting the gas? Or is it all just off the line?

The 410's would certainly be felt at a 40mph stomp but if you are on a track with long straight aways then the 373's would be much better as you will run out of gears quicker with the 410's. Drag racing with 410's is great or just running around on the street . I love my 410's but i don't track so they work well for me. If i had supercharged before changing gears then i probably would have just left the gears stock.

See if you can find someone who has 4.10's to give you a ride. Everyone told me do not get 4.10's since I had a Whipple S/C but I listened to Ken Ahmann and got them any way. I loved that setup, never road course raced (he does) but I never ran out of gear on the highway. I am having them put back in on my new Shelby (NOS for now) and will keep them in when I go forced air again.

Good Luck

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

I'm goin with 3.73's. 4.10s are a bit too steep. I took a ride in my friends 06mustang gt with the 4.10s and it was like 1st and 2nd gear weren't even needed. He blew through the first three gears in 2seconds. With the added power I will be gaining from my mods in my sig this spring I know The 3.73 will be a nice addition. Although going from 3.55s to 3.73 isn't a big change, the car will definitely be much snappier with the 3.73s and the added power.

• 5 weeks later...

See if you can find someone who has 4.10's to give you a ride. Everyone told me do not get 4.10's since I had a Whipple S/C but I listened to Ken Ahmann and got them any way. I loved that setup, never road course raced (he does) but I never ran out of gear on the highway. I am having them put back in on my new Shelby (NOS for now) and will keep them in when I go forced air again.

Good Luck

Andrew

beerchug.gif

^I've got a set of Motive 3.90's on order from Summit actually. With the Whipple now installed, the 4.10's are a little too much gear. With any other setup, I highly recommend them though.

I will be interested in how you like the 3.90's !

My 4.10's went back in sans the Whipple (since that is in Jason's Shelby) and I am sure I am going to like them as much as I did with the Whipple.

Andrew

Good Luck

Andrew

Andrew what happened to your car?

I'm goin with 3.73's. 4.10s are a bit too steep. I took a ride in my friends 06mustang gt with the 4.10s and it was like 1st and 2nd gear weren't even needed. He blew through the first three gears in 2seconds. With the added power I will be gaining from my mods in my sig this spring I know The 3.73 will be a nice addition. Although going from 3.55s to 3.73 isn't a big change, the car will definitely be much snappier with the 3.73s and the added power.

Jim likes to put in 4.10's. He put them in my car for the previous owner, and I'm sure that's exactly what he "recommended". Let us know what you end up with after you go in wanting 3.73s and you two have a "discussion". :lol:

Frankly, I would have thought 3.73s would be fine and that I would have hated the 4.10s, but so far I have no complaints with the 4.10s. We'll see what I think once I start tracking the car, but a number of racers have told me I will like them. You do run through 1st gear real fast, but it's nice to get around tight spaces, on & off the trailer, and off the stop lights, unlike my GT500 with the 3.31s.

Jim likes to put in 4.10's. He put them in my car for the previous owner, and I'm sure that's exactly what he "recommended". Let us know what you end up with after you go in wanting 3.73s and you two have a "discussion". :lol:

Frankly, I would have thought 3.73s would be fine and that I would have hated the 4.10s, but so far I have no complaints with the 4.10s. We'll see what I think once I start tracking the car, but a number of racers have told me I will like them. You do run through 1st gear real fast, but it's nice to get around tight spaces, on & off the trailer, and off the stop lights, unlike my GT500 with the 3.31s.

For open track racing, I think the 3.73's are a better gear. For Drag Racing the 4.10's. But I'm not a big drag race kinda guy. 3.73's will feel much peppier especially with the added power I will have.

For open track racing, I think the 3.73's are a better gear. For Drag Racing the 4.10's. But I'm not a big drag race kinda guy. 3.73's will feel much peppier especially with the added power I will have.

If you want my 3.73 their yours only were in my car for 6months if you live by paramus or go there I could meet up with you

If you want my 3.73 their yours only were in my car for 6months if you live by paramus or go there I could meet up with you

How come you went with 4.10's?

Btw, You should come down this April to start our local SGT chapter with me and mywickedshelby. It's technically an NJ Shelby club but I'll extend an invite to you just because your such a nice guy! :petting: How far are you from Central Jersey? (Bridgewater, Watchung, Summitt)

How come you went with 4.10's?

Btw, You should come down this April to start our local SGT chapter with me and mywickedshelby. It's technically an NJ Shelby club but I'll extend an invite to you just because your such a nice guy! :petting: How far are you from Central Jersey? (Bridgewater, Watchung, Summitt)

Why thank you for the invite I went to 4.10s with all the things done to my car it still felt sluggish. Then with the 4.10s it was a different car crisp throttle responnse and more neck snapping.

Depends on how fast I drive and how many times I get pulled over but is about 1hr 20mins my sister lives montclair so will be visiting you guys.

Why thank you for the invite I went to 4.10s with all the things done to my car it still felt sluggish. Then with the 4.10s it was a different car crisp throttle responnse and more neck snapping.

Depends on how fast I drive and how many times I get pulled over but is about 1hr 20mins my sister lives montclair so will be visiting you guys.

Well by no means will my car feel sluggish after my mods at JDM and another 100 rwhp and 50 more lbs of tq. Especially after stepping the gear ratio up from 3.55 to 3.73.

Although I refuse to drive the KR after the mods are done. Once I drive that 520rwhp monster, my 370rwhp sgt will feel like it's moving in reverse! :hysterical:

Archived