TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why Not 3.90s?

Although a very happy user and a disciple of the 4.10 rear gear in my SGT, I am curious as to why the 3.90 rear is not more poular today.

As evidenced by many posts here, a lot of guys "fear the gear" and, while cognizant that the 3.73 is a marginal improvement over their stock 3.55 (at least in an N/A application) , are clearly hesitant to make the larger leap to 4.10s.

As a pimply-faced teen in the 'sixties, I recall the 3.90 to be the hot set-up! Why has the 3.90 fallen out of favor? (And I realize that non-FRPP gears have a "whiney" rep, isn't that more a function of the manufacturer rather than the ratio itself?)

Just curious..... :headscratch:

I have 3.80's in my '68 with a T-5 trans and like it... But LOVE my 3.55's in the SGT!

I went 3.73's because I thought with a roots SC'r 4.10's might be a little deep, and everything I read on the 3.90's was they were considerably louder. This includes two setup locally on GT500's the owners love them but they are much louder than 3.73's/4.10's. My "guess" is the manufacturer or cut must have something to do with it. I've seen a lot of 3.90's in 9" rearends with out complaint of noise?

I believe the 390's are the best ratio and you would certainly feel a difference compared to the 373's as they are to close to the 355's but i went with the 410's on account of noise. The 390's are considered foreign gears and the cut on the gears do create more noise than others. I am now s/c'd and still love the 410's. If i were to go down in gears now, i would do 373's as they are noticeably higher in ratio than the 410's but i will probably just stay where i'm at. The 410's are the only way to go if n/a.

Archived