TEAM SHELBY FORUM

oil change?

darthracer777

A few weeks ago, I bought my '11 Shelby form a guy in Alabama. He said that he had changed the oil before he sold it to me. The car had only 2800 miles on it when I bought it. The car has 3400 miles on it now and the 'time for oil change' message pops up? Time for an oil change....after only 600 - 800 miles? Any of you guy sknow what the heck is going on with that?

I know this has been discussed in another thread, but what 5-50W synthetic oil do you guys recommend? I've read some comments that disparage the Ford synthetic oil.

Thanks

agree-- the button is time related,i think its 6 months--i dont drive me car much so i do mine once a year.Ford says you need to use the Motorcraft 5/50 to hold the warranty, so to me its not worth the risk,no matter how small to use others.I think Roush is certifed to meet the Ford spec--others say they meet the new B spec for the oil, but are not on the accpeted list.I get mine from KMans--last time it was 7.25/qt plus shipping--it was $15 for 14 qts plus 2 filters--id change it if it was me, then reset the button--post some oics of your car--is it sterling ??we had a member who got that color the same month i got mine, June 2009

agree-- the button is time related,i think its 6 months--i dont drive me car much so i do mine once a year.Ford says you need to use the Motorcraft 5/50 to hold the warranty, so to me its not worth the risk,no matter how small to use others.I think Roush is certifed to meet the Ford spec--others say they meet the new B spec for the oil, but are not on the accpeted list.I get mine from KMans--last time it was 7.25/qt plus shipping--it was $15 for 14 qts plus 2 filters--id change it if it was me, then reset the button--post some oics of your car--is it sterling ??we had a member who got that color the same month i got mine, June 2009

It's been heavily modified by Justin at VMP. RWHP is 688. The car is black with red stripes. My 'Sith-mobile'...LOL....

I know the oil is 'fresh', so I don't see a reason to change it now. I'll reset the 'oil change' parameter.

I'll post a pic of it soon.

Where is that stated in the documentation that comes with the car?

The time is based on run time and actual time. If you put a lot miles on, you will use this up faster.

Where is that stated in the documentation that comes with the car?

It doesn't however, you must use 5-50 "B" spec to hold warrenty. Brand does not constitute warranty loss, federal law. Unfortunately, Motorcraft and one or two other rare brands are the only oils that meet that spec, warranty (legally) wise.

The time is based on run time and actual time. If you put a lot miles on, you will use this up faster.

It doesn't however, you must use 5-50 "B" spec to hold warrenty. Brand does not constitute warranty loss, federal law. Unfortunately, Motorcraft and one or two other rare brands are the only oils that meet that spec, warranty (legally) wise.

Here is the exact wording.

ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATION

Use Motorcraft SAE 5W-50 full synthetic or an equivalent SAE 5W-50 full

synthetic oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C931-B.

Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine

treatments. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that

is not covered by Ford warranty.Change your engine oil and filter according to the appropriate schedule

listed in the scheduled maintenance information.

The 3 choices are FMC, Castrol and Redline. There has been a ton of discussion on oil as of late on several GT500 forums. As far as Redline goes this is the exact response from them regarding the Spec B requirements:

"Thanks for the note on the 5W50. You are fine to use that product. While we do not send these oils to Ford for approval, that Ford spec is pretty easy to exceed and this product does that without issue"

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62966-motorcraft-5w50-voa/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55012-redline-5w-50/

is not covered by Ford warranty.Change your engine oil and filter according to the appropriate schedule

The 3 choices are FMC, Castrol and Redline. There has been a ton of discussion on oil as of late on several GT500 forums. As far as Redline goes this is the exact response from them regarding the Spec B requirements:

"Thanks for the note on the 5W50. You are fine to use that product. While we do not send these oils to Ford for approval, that Ford spec is pretty easy to exceed and this product does that without issue"

Just because they say it doesn't mean it's right. They just want you to buy their product. Try this, get it in writing that they will cover your lubricated parts for the duration of the warranty. If they do that, then I would consider their product. Even Royal Purple, arguably the best, said their product would be ok to use, it's uses in the konnensigg motors, however, that is 5-40...

I'm not sure I understand why there is such a plethora of opinions/suggestions as to what oil is best for our cars. The Motorcraft oil Ford recommends is not that much more expensive than the other available synthetics, and is a fine product. I just use the Motorcraft oil and have it changed every 7.5K. I do have free oil and filter changes for the life of my car with my dealership (perk for buying the car from them), but still, I don't understand what the big fuss is about. I just don't think there is that much of a difference in all these different products, and even if there is, the benefits would be negligable over the life of our cars. Even if I didn't have the free oil changes, I'd still use the Motorcraft oil and filter. Can someone enlighten me?

I'm not sure I understand why there is such a plethora of opinions/suggestions as to what oil is best for our cars. The Motorcraft oil Ford recommends is not that much more expensive than the other available synthetics, and is a fine product. I just use the Motorcraft oil and have it changed every 7.5K. I do have free oil and filter changes for the life of my car with my dealership (perk for buying the car from them), but still, I don't understand what the big fuss is about. I just don't think there is that much of a difference in all these different products, and even if there is, the benefits would be negligable over the life of our cars. Even if I didn't have the free oil changes, I'd still use the Motorcraft oil and filter. Can someone enlighten me?

it has to do with the personalities of folks who buy a 540hp car,they want to be unique and go against the grain.

I have 18K on my '10 GT500 now, and the oil is changed every 3000 miles with Castrol Syntec 5/50 and either the Ford Racing Oil filter or a K&N performance filter.

Runs like a champ, and yes the oil is dark after only 3000 miles. These cars beat the snot out of the oil, so just change it every 3000.

I will have owned my '10 since new from January 2010. Question...since I only have 1200 miles on it when do you suggest I change the oil for the first time?

it is like you have it in storage with so few miles I would be changing it every few months and putting fuel stabilizer in it. probably lots of moisture in the engine and no octane left in the gas. let that poor car run a little

I will have owned my '10 since new from January 2010. Question...since I only have 1200 miles on it when do you suggest I change the oil for the first time?

definitely--even synthetics age out--i do mine once a year with only 3-4000 miles per year

definitely--even synthetics age out--i do mine once a year with only 3-4000 miles per year

It gets driven about 100 miles a month, usually once a week for about 25 miles a time. The rest of the time garaged! I am waiting for the big appreciation in value but fear at 65 years old I may not see that in my lifetime!!

"you have to grow old,but you can stay immature forever"...this is my new mantra! I love it! My mechanic suggested for proper breakin leave the oil in for maybe another 500 miles so I will probably change this summer!

It gets driven about 100 miles a month, usually once a week for about 25 miles a time. The rest of the time garaged! I am waiting for the big appreciation in value but fear at 65 years old I may not see that in my lifetime!!

"you have to grow old,but you can stay immature forever"...this is my new mantra! I love it! My mechanic suggested for proper breakin leave the oil in for maybe another 500 miles so I will probably change this summer!

from one immature 65 guy to another, CHANGE THAT OIL--youve got all those filings in the old oil, yuove got to get that out of your engine ASAP--youre going to change it eventually so why wait and possible damage the engine

---OH and Merry Christmas, make it a gift to your car

I highlighted the key word above. It does not say "REQUIRED".

from one immature 65 guy to another, CHANGE THAT OIL--youve got all those filings in the old oil, yuove got to get that out of your engine ASAP--youre going to change it eventually so why wait and possible damage the engine

---OH and Merry Christmas, make it a gift to your car

I agree with you here (and I changed my oil and filter early as well)

But, isn't there an engine oil filter screwed on that engine that is supposed to pick up/hold the "fillings in the old oil"?

I agree with you here (and I changed my oil and filter early as well)

But, isn't there an engine oil filter screwed on that engine that is supposed to pick up/hold the "fillings in the old oil"?

There is, and it does remove some... But in the first couple hundred miles when most of the debri circulates, some isn't going through the filter right away. I don't want abrasive embedded in my bearings if it can be removed.

I used to screw quite a few engines together, and always changed oil at 500 miles or less for the first time. At that same time, re-torqued heads and manifolds, checked valve adjustment, etc. Worked for me.

BTW- I've run the Motorcraft 5W-50 so far, and have changed it twice already, with about 3200 miles now on the car. Redline 5W-50 is going in next oil change. Main reasons are: I perceive it to be of better base stocks than the Motorcraft, and I can get it locally from a reliable source, for about the same price as Motorcraft. :)

There is, and it does remove some... But in the first couple hundred miles when most of the debri circulates, some isn't going through the filter right away. I don't want abrasive embedded in my bearings if it can be removed.

I used to screw quite a few engines together, and always changed oil at 500 miles or less for the first time. At that same time, re-torqued heads and manifolds, checked valve adjustment, etc. Worked for me.

BTW- I've run the Motorcraft 5W-50 so far, and have changed it twice already, with about 3200 miles now on the car. Redline 5W-50 is going in next oil change. Main reasons are: I perceive it to be of better base stocks than the Motorcraft, and I can get it locally from a reliable source, for about the same price as Motorcraft. :)

Totally agree with you and I'm glad you expanded on why for people who don't believe early oil changes may be beneficial to long term engine health.

I've been using Shell Rotella 5w-40 T6 Full syn since the first oil change along with the Ford oil filter. Used to run it in my Viper too.

Archived