TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT Horn Buttons

csm198

I personally would love to see shelby offer different horn button covers for our car. Similar to the trunk lock covers. They seem cheap and easy to produce. One I would like to see and buy would be a Supercharged model.

Others could be:

CS

GT

GT/SC

Paxton Powered

Whipple powered

any other ideas?

Would you buy one if they had one you liked?

The only reason I can think of that they do not is because of the air bag. Maybe it is a legal issue?

I personally would love to see shelby offer different horn button covers for our car. Similar to the trunk lock covers. They seem cheap and easy to produce. One I would like to see and buy would be a Supercharged model.

Others could be:

CS

GT

GT/SC

Paxton Powered

Whipple powered

any other ideas?

Would you buy one if they had one you liked?

The only reason I can think of that they do not is because of the air bag. Maybe it is a legal issue?

this is not going to happen, it's been talked about before and there is a safety and legal issue if and when the air bag deploys

:beatdeadhorse:

if so,,,,,,,,,just asking anyway,,,how did Saleen get away with it ?,,,and Saleen still getting away with it , :headscratch:

I don't know for sure, but it may have something to do with Shelby being classified as a manufacturer with the EPA and US DOT.

I don't know for sure, but it may have something to do with Shelby being classified as a manufacturer with the EPA and US DOT.

I do understand if shelby did not change the horn button. But they sell everything else aftermarket.

So why could they sell a cover for the horn button is my question.

Was12.00 for 4 of those decals made up, I gave 2 away and used the other 2, The saleen cap cover was like 15.00, There is not enough money in those items for SPP to even handle them, IMO, Myself and a few other made our own and they came out great. Rick

I do understand if shelby did not change the horn button. But they sell everything else aftermarket.

So why could they sell a cover for the horn button is my question.

One word, litigation.

Just because a part is sold over the counter doesn't mean that someone wouldn't sue us if the emblem came loose during an airbag deployment and took out someones eye.

Steve

Made mine too!

Saleen cap with nice metallic decals that look and blend nicely complementing the rest of the SGT "S" snake additions. No fuss, no muss, no drilling or cutting.

Decal can be found here:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=MU7+01&Category=Stripes+%26+Decals&subCategory=&CatKey=EMUSTANG

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0260.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is my dream horn button. Just have to buy the whole air bag with it... banghead.gif

0901_18_z+2010_ford_mustang_shelby_gT500+steering_wheel.jpg

This is what I have now...

DSC00657.jpg

The new Tiffany snake airbag cover which is on the 2010 and up Gt-500 is available separtely from Ford without the airbag as the Cobrajet airbag delete for racing.

I bought one before Christmas at Blue Oval Industries and installed it on my CS6.

I didn't venture to swap out the airbag as I thought this a bit too dangerous as you would have to drill out the rivets etc.

I simply cut the airbag cover to pieces to make the inside accessible, cut away the plastic exposing the clips which keep the snake in place and once the metal tabs were straightened out I gently extracted the snake from the airbag cover.

I disconnected the battery and the #14 fuse, then I gently pried the existing Mustang emblem off.

I cut the clips down on the new snake emblem so there was just enough left to engage and locate the piece on the airbag cover.

I mixed clear two part epoxy and ran a fine bead in a circle where the clips engage.

I aligned the snake to the airbag cover , pressed it into place and secured it with an X of duct tape.

Next morning I removed the tape and it looks every bit as good as the one on my GT-500.

*** IF YOU PRY OFF YOUR ORIGINAL ONE FIRST, YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT YOUR UP AGAINST WITH THE NEW ONE. **

The new Tiffany snake airbag cover which is on the 2010 and up Gt-500 is available separtely from Ford without the airbag as the Cobrajet airbag delete for racing.

I bought one before Christmas at Blue Oval Industries and installed it on my CS6.

I didn't venture to swap out the airbag as I thought this a bit too dangerous as you would have to drill out the rivets etc.

I simply cut the airbag cover to pieces to make the inside accessible, cut away the plastic exposing the clips which keep the snake in place and once the metal tabs were straightened out I gently extracted the snake from the airbag cover.

I disconnected the battery and the #14 fuse, then I gently pried the existing Mustang emblem off.

I cut the clips down on the new snake emblem so there was just enough left to engage and locate the piece on the airbag cover.

I mixed clear two part epoxy and ran a fine bead in a circle where the clips engage.

I aligned the snake to the airbag cover , pressed it into place and secured it with an X of duct tape.

Next morning I removed the tape and it looks every bit as good as the one on my GT-500.

*** IF YOU PRY OFF YOUR ORIGINAL ONE FIRST, YOU WILL HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT YOUR UP AGAINST WITH THE NEW ONE. **

got any pictures of all this :lurk:

Too cool. I'd love to see some pics. One question... I had to file down the rubber ridges behind the stock cover to accommodate the new flush mount cover. Will the absences of the ridges be a problem if I install the cobra cover you bought. Are those ridges needed to support the cobra cover like the factory cover?

Thanks

Too cool. I'd love to see some pics. One question... I had to file down the rubber ridges behind the stock cover to accommodate the new flush mount cover. Will the absences of the ridges be a problem if I install the cobra cover you bought. Are those ridges needed to support the cobra cover like the factory cover?

Thanks

I'm not sure how this would effect the installation but the button is slightly domed and doesn't really look like it contacts the center.

Archived