TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP SVT1 Mufflers - Disappointing Quality

Rarecat

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem, the chrome has bubbled and is flaking off one of my exhaust tips. I've had them on the car about two years, 6K miles, Garage kept, seldom wet.....I would expect them to last a whole lot longer than this...

I wouldn't be as surprised if it were on the bottom and had rusted through due to moisture, but it's on the side, no rust anywhere...

These things cost over 700 bucks, crap! :banghead:

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem, the chrome has bubbled and is flaking off one of my exhaust tips. I've had them on the car about two years, 6K miles, Garage kept, seldom wet.....I would expect them to last a whole lot longer than this...

I wouldn't be as surprised if it were on the bottom and had rusted through due to moisture, but it's on the side, no rust anywhere...

These things cost over 700 bucks, crap! :banghead:

Have installed several sets of these and 1 set had the chrome flaking off the tips out of the box, and the other had a dull no polish appearance. Both were replaced by FRPP. These were about from 6 mos ago and have not seen any other issues since then, or before.

I talked with FRPP and they have referred me to Borla....I'll be calling them tomorrow

Well *that* sucks!

Ford Racing sold you the mufflers, not Borla.

Borla may have made them for FRPP but FRPP made their profit so (IMO) *they* should be the ones you deal with, not Borla.

Sheesh, talk about 'passing the buck'.

Phill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Seems I've heard a lot about Borla's quality control going to pot lately.

A couple Raptor guys have complained about the tips being installed crooked and Borla not wanting to do anything out it.

Another '500 guy had a pair that the hangars broke off (SGT's) and Borla sent the incorrect year application based on the fact that "they fit".

I wish they were just polished stainless like God intended.

Wow that is surprising. My Girlfriend's Cobra has a Borla cat back on it and it is a terrific kit. It has 10K miles on it and 2 track days with no issues.

I'm glad they rectified the issue for you.

however its nice to see a company(borla and/or frpp) stand behind a product....$700 axle-back systems, especially the tips, shouldnt "rust or peel" when they're installed on a pampered "garage queen" & the manufacturer did the "right thing". You get a free replacement & Borla gets a nice "thumbs up"!! :happy feet:

• 2 months later...

Well........6 months later I finally got around to installing the replacement mufflers and of course, because I didn't check them on arrival...... they are the wrong ones

The saga continues

Well........6 months later I finally got around to installing the replacement mufflers and of course, because I didn't check them on arrival...... they are the wrong ones

The saga continues

Oh shit!

That sounds like something I'd do.

I buy parts all the time with the intention of putting them on the car 'when I get time'. Sometimes that can be a LONG time. And typically, sellers have a 30 or 90 day return policy and won't help you out in a situation like that.

But sometimes they will understand. I'm going through a situation like that right now with my Granatelli Tire Fryer. When I bought it the application said "2007-2010 GT500". Turns out, the 2010 is different. Not just the mounting bracket but two of the brake lines too. They said they needed the receipt and they would trade me the two lines I need for the ones I have. Receipt? What receipt? The only way I know it came from Lethal Peformance is that the sealing tape on the box has Lethal all over it. I told them that and the Support Tech said to send him pictures of all the parts I have and that will suffice (since it will show they are brand new and never installed).

I've yet to take pics and send them but I was happy as heck to get THAT much support from them. I've bought stuff for my 2010 since buying the car and most of it sat on my parts shelf until just recently when I took the car off the road for Winter storage (figured the car was down anyway, what better time to do all the work?).

I hope you get your problem resolved. From the sound of their customer service so far, you probably will get it resolved.

Good luck,

Phill Pollard

• 2 months later...

This is the issue that just keep on giving. After a few weeks of waiting, Borla exchanged the wrong ones for a new set. Went to install the new set and they don't fit right, hanger rods are too short and the tip is welded at a different angle.......now I'm waiting to hear back from Borla's QA folks....

I really like these mufflers, so I'm going to give it one last try, otherwise I'm switching to a different brand/model

Archived