TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Got Rear Ended Today!!!! WTF

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh well. The first 30 day report on my car will have to wait as on day 29 of ownership, I was rear ended while stopped in traffic. Needless to say, I'm quite annoyed. The young kid that hit me was not paying attention and jammed on the brakes and lock them up then I looked in my rear view mirror as he took both hands off the wheel and smashed my friggin car. I'm totally disgusted I hope his insurance (Geico) totals the car at full value so I can order another car - and wait another friggin year! I cannot drive a collector car like this knowing it's current and future value has been ruined. Taken out by a 2003 Chevy Impala. If the car is gonna be wrecked, at least let me wreck it on the track.

You gotta be kidding me that this just happened to me.

I am so, so sorry to hear that. I hope everything will work out for you. I use to be a local truck in Los Angeles, and let me tell you that I have seen some really stupid people on the road that should not be driving. I am now going to school and getting into the medical field and have learned one inportant thing " at least we have our health! " Take care.

O M F G Tony!!!!

We just lived your trip with your daughter through your eyes, and pics.......

I am sick to my stomach for you my man! This is my number one fear driving my Shelby. I am with you as far as not even wanting the car anymore, and getting another one. The worst part is having THAT car with a NEGATIVE CarFax! My body went cold as soon as I keyed on your post.

Thank goodness you are OK though!!

I am sure Roger and the gang at SAI will do their damndest to get you stylin again! They know how much that car means to you...and your daughter. Plus, with few owners of these, they want happy customers.

Keep your head up,

Chris :)

WOW thats hard to look at, so sorry. If it was mine it would be fixed and sold, I wouldn't want anything to do with it. You didn't pay that much $ to have a car that isn't perfect.

I used to fix cars for a living, so I don't have the same issue driving a wrecked car as some do.

As I always try to look at the positive, I would fix it and then I wouldn't worry so much about it on the track. But thats just me.

Tony, I'll email you next week about the event. We will do whatever you need.

WOW thats hard to look at, so sorry. If it was mine it would be fixed and sold, I wouldn't want anything to do with it. You didn't pay that much $ to have a car that isn't perfect.

Thanks and you are right. The problem is that if Geico does not see it that way, then I'll take a big loss selling a repaired car. I can cover the difference but I should not have to spend another nickel.

O M F G Tony!!!!

We just lived your trip with your daughter through your eyes, and pics.......

I am sick to my stomach for you my man! This is my number one fear driving my Shelby. I am with you as far as not even wanting the car anymore, and getting another one. The worst part is having THAT car with a NEGATIVE CarFax! My body went cold as soon as I keyed on your post.

Thank goodness you are OK though!!

I am sure Roger and the gang at SAI will do their damndest to get you stylin again! They know how much that car means to you...and your daughter. Plus, with few owners of these, they want happy customers.

Keep your head up,

Chris :)

Thanks Chris. I know everything will work out in the end but it is a tough nut to swallow. Tomorrow was going to be the car's big reveal at our local mustang club christmas party. Guess it will be next Christmas.

I used to fix cars for a living, so I don't have the same issue driving a wrecked car as some do.

As I always try to look at the positive, I would fix it and then I wouldn't worry so much about it on the track. But thats just me.

Tony, I'll email you next week about the event. We will do whatever you need.

No prob on the event. I might just have to bring the 911 and be the outcast - either way, I'll be there. I might just have to drive my student's car. :hysterical:

Tony my heart just got broken like when my first girl dumped me! (Correction first, second, third & 4th). My son just got hit last week in his 08 Mustang. I just got the kid tires and rims two are gone from the accident.

If this helps the person that hit him is insured with GEICO. So for they have been really good in handling the claim and issuing all new Ford Parts. They also are paying for his rental. Keep a heads up when they write the repair order. If it is not a participating Ford dealer they will try and get you for 10 % of parts fees. I squashed that issue today.

Hang in there buddy everything will turn out ok!

You must ask for diminished value from his insurance company.

Let me tell you a story.

When I was in high school one of my classmates drove up in a brand spankin' new 1971 Mach 1. Way cool car. He got it from his dad who had a body shop. Turns out that the owner was driving and a kid from another school ran the red light and hit him. The owner let the insurance company know that this was a new vehicle and he was not going to settle for less than replacement since he was not at fault. My friend's dad bought the car for salvage. It was only damaged near the front fender near the headlight and the front bumper. No frame damage - all replaceable parts.

Of course, the car cost 3500, maybe 3700, new.

Anyway, the message is that totaling a car with what is essentially cosmetic damage can happen. Work hard. Even with SA helping getting new parts, it'll still have the scar on carfax and everywhere else. In the end you might be able to buy it back for salvage, repair it and sell it. It'll still be damaged goods, but you'll have the new one and the old one and be able to recoup some of the difference.

Tony my heart just got broken like when my first girl dumped me! (Correction first, second, third & 4th). My son just got hit last week in his 08 Mustang. I just got the kid tires and rims two are gone from the accident.

If this helps the person that hit him is insured with GEICO. So for they have been really good in handling the claim and issuing all new Ford Parts. They also are paying for his rental. Keep a heads up when they write the repair order. If it is not a participating Ford dealer they will try and get you for 10 % of parts fees. I squashed that issue today.

Hang in there buddy everything will turn out ok!

Thanks Frank. What a day. I'm thinking that maybe I should insist the car be transported to Vegas to have Shelby repair it if they are not going to total the car. If Shelby fixes the car maybe it will have a little more value and thus less of a depreciation for me. Or, I guess I should contact my attorneys and let them handle it all. Guess I'm a waiter again. Think I can get a donor car there in the next 2 weeks?

You must ask for diminished value from his insurance company.

Let me tell you a story.

When I was in high school one of my classmates drove up in a brand spankin' new 1971 Mach 1. Way cool car. He got it from his dad who had a body shop. Turns out that the owner was driving and a kid from another school ran the red light and hit him. The owner let the insurance company know that this was a new vehicle and he was not going to settle for less than replacement since he was not at fault. My friend's dad bought the car for salvage. It was only damaged near the front fender near the headlight and the front bumper. No frame damage - all replaceable parts.

Anyway, the message is that totaling a car with what is essentially cosmetic damage can happen. Work hard. Even with SA helping getting new parts, it'll still have the scar on carfax and everywhere else. In the end you might be able to buy it back for salvage, repair it and sell it. It'll still be damaged goods, but you'll have the new one and the old one and be able to recoup some of the difference.

Good point. Thank you. If I could get a new replacement car built with Geico's money, I could then buy the salvaged car and track it harder!! :shift:

Very sorry to see this Tony but happy that you are ok.

hmmm, ship to Vegas for repairs? That soounds like a great idea to me :)

Congrats on your great restraint of not shooting the kid on the spot!

Thanks Sherry. Would not be good to be in jail after popping the kid when my replacement car was ready for my next museum delivery. :hysterical:

I guess my Ford Dealer and Shelby will be happy selling additional cars.

Nooooooooooooooo........

Tony I am so sorry.

Michael

Thank you Michael. When we met over the summer it was wonderful to see how excited you and John were also about our 350's. Hopefully it will get worked out for me. I guess I'll have to pass the torch to others to keep us updated on the cars

I'm just looking for what I had this morning when I awoke - a new 350.

Hi Tony,

WOW that is a major bummer. I too would have wanted to beat the hell :rant2: out of the kid but really what good would that have done other than get you in Jail. So you did the right thing by keeping your cool.

At least he felt extremley bad about his mistake. I wish you had got a photo of him standing by the GT350 maybe with him at least in a headlock...:hysterical: Just for memories. Did he even know what a 2011 GT350 was?

Warren,

I thought these 350 cars are suppose to handle killer on the track you must have let your brother drive your car on the track for it to go off. :banghead:

Archived