TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Confused?

So for the last few months I have been running K&N breathers on the valve covers to keep the oil out of the intake. It worked except that the passenger side alway puked oil onto the valve cover. Nothing came out of the drivers side? I recently went with the JLT catch cans for both sides. Now nothing is coming out of the passneger side but the drivers side is getting some oil? Why the change? I am not that well versed on the pressures of an engine.

So one of you engine guys please educate me.

When the PCV system is "closed" with or without separators, the engine pulls vacuum thru the driver side, which causes the pass side to actually pull air in via the intake port in front of the throttle body. All this is AFTER the MAF, so it is metered air in and out. This is why you cannot just cap one side and not the other.

When the system is open with breathers, the pressure takes the path of least resistance, which is the pass side, I'm not certain why, but thinking it's due to the oil fill on that side.

Hope that helps!

When the PCV system is "closed" with or without separators, the engine pulls vacuum thru the driver side, which causes the pass side to actually pull air in via the intake port in front of the throttle body. All this is AFTER the MAF, so it is metered air in and out. This is why you cannot just cap one side and not the other.

When the system is open with breathers, the pressure takes the path of least resistance, which is the pass side, I'm not certain why, but thinking it's due to the oil fill on that side.

Hope that helps!

I read on another forum that a car with breathers will produce more HP? than a car witch catch cans. Not sure I'm buying that. I do like the look of the breathers over the catch can. However, I did not like the mess from the oil on the pas. valve cover.

Thanks for the input.

I read that too, but I certainly didn't notice anything when I went with a breather tank... I think they also had the filler breather, but I just can't fathom that you'd see gains from that.

my setup just runs lines from both valve covers into this little tank that has a breather on top, no blowby mess, and absolutely no oil going back into my intake....

I haven't noticed a lot of oil in the tank really, but quite a bit of slightly oily water which I'm pretty sure is because it's been pretty damn cold out since I installed it causing a lot of condensation maybe.

e9cf519a.jpg

Archived