TEAM SHELBY FORUM

over the top painted on stripes

Ok, so I just put my order in today for the 45th. Having a difficult time with the $4,495 "over the top" painted on stripe, so I opted for the vinyl. It kinda urks me that to get the last 26 inches or so of blue stripe, one needs to spend this large sum. I have heard all the reasons why including, "you can't get the vinyl to lay down under the letters", and that makes sense. But why on earth is the painted option so much! I am tempted to just take a stab at matching the rear bumper stripe with 3M blue vinyl. Would it really look stupid if the letters are over white rather than blue since the vinyl won't lay down on the hollow areas? Any thoughts, and has anybody considered doing this as well?

Well, after looking at my car's rear end quite a bit, it wont look right.

BUT, that doesnt mean you cant go to a really good paint shop somewhere close to you and have them do the paint job. Im guessing it will cost you about 4k to get it done "right", but times are tough and maybe a local paint shop would be willing to make a deal for some price much less. Call around, while you still have the option of changing that.

For me, when I had the GT500, my biggest gripe was the vinyl. I dont want decals on a 50k+ car. PERIOD. I want it done RIGHT! I always made that opinion known, and when others told me it would be 4 or 5k to paint the stripes, I always replied, "we are already spending <?> amount on this car, what is another 4 or 5k?" Well, when SA announced the painted option, I didnt have much choice. I asked for it, and they gave it to me. I AM willing to pay their asking price for painted stripes, because, at least THEY offered it.

Ok, so I just put my order in today for the 45th. Having a difficult time with the $4,495 "over the top" painted on stripe, so I opted for the vinyl. It kinda urks me that to get the last 26 inches or so of blue stripe, one needs to spend this large sum. I have heard all the reasons why including, "you can't get the vinyl to lay down under the letters", and that makes sense. But why on earth is the painted option so much! I am tempted to just take a stab at matching the rear bumper stripe with 3M blue vinyl. Would it really look stupid if the letters are over white rather than blue since the vinyl won't lay down on the hollow areas? Any thoughts, and has anybody considered doing this as well?

Congrats on your purchase! Tell them I sent you and maybe I'll get a museum store coupon. :happy feet:

Yes it is a lot of money. And yes, IMHO I feel it looks better with stripes down the rear.

I actually think that if the vinyl were cut off around each letter with a small amount of white paint equally between the letter and the vinyl it would look very good. Now, try and find someone to do it that way - correctly - and get mathing vinyl. Might be tough but not impossible.

First off...congrats on your order decision! You are going to be very happy I think. Truly one of, if not the last real SHELBY!

I had a thought, as I had the EXACT same complaint when I was contemplating an order. Contact John Farmer here on the forum, and see if he could get you a 'pre-cut' piece of matching vinyl for the ass end , as he is a supplier for SA, and may be able to get the parameters of the letter spacing to go right around them closely and perfectly!?

Warren is of the same mindset that I am as it relates to not being able to stomach vinyl decals on such a high $$$ car. You expected it on a '77 Z28, but nowadays, jeez! But still better yet, I'd have an equally hard time paying that much dough for painted on stripes. One other thing to consider. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong Warren, or Tony, but the $4500 may not be too bad as don't they clear over the whole job after the stripes are painted on??? Keeps from having a rough edge?

Just a few thoughts...for what they are worth! :salute:

Chris

Thank you so much for all the comments (and please feel free to keep them coming)! I will contact John Farmer with some of these questions... Very excited to join the GT350 club and cross over once in a while from the Team 40th side!

Cheers!

Thank you so much for all the comments (and please feel free to keep them coming)! I will contact John Farmer with some of these questions... Very excited to join the GT350 club and cross over once in a while from the Team 40th side!

Cheers!

I would be very interested in what you find out about the lower stripes. I have been going back & forth on this same issue.

Archived