TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery Tender

dffej51

This will be my first winter with my Shelby and here in Pennsylvania there are not many days the car will see the light of day. I have the battery tender that I used on my Roush last winter and plan to use it on the Shelby. I have one simple question, do those of you who use battery tenders on your Shelbys place the cable clips on both battery terminals or do you ground one somewhere under the hood. If you ground one, where is the rcommeneded or best place to connect the clip? Thanks.

This will be my first winter with my Shelby and here in Pennsylvania there are not many days the car will see the light of day. I have the battery tender that I used on my Roush last winter and plan to use it on the Shelby. I have one simple question, do those of you who use battery tenders on your Shelbys place the cable clips on both battery terminals or do you ground one somewhere under the hood. If you ground one, where is the rcommeneded or best place to connect the clip? Thanks.

Putting it on the ground of the battery or a ground in the engine compartment makes no difference...It's all the same ground plane.

• 2 weeks later...

I clip mine to the battery terminals-works great!!!!!!! BTW what part of Pa are you from?

Ok I just tried to hook up my battery tender and ran into an issue. With my previously owned Corvette there was a lot of clearance on the terninals to hook up the cable clips from the tender. On the Shelby, the regular battery cables cover 99% of the battery terminals and I can only barely get one prong of each battery tendor cable onto the terminals and that is if I lay the clips flat. Any suggestions? I definitely don't want to disconnect the regular battery cables from the battery. Thanks.

Ok I just tried to hook up my battery tender and ran into an issue. With my previously owned Corvette there was a lot of clearance on the terninals to hook up the cable clips from the tender. On the Shelby, the regular battery cables cover 99% of the battery terminals and I can only barely get one prong of each battery tendor cable onto the terminals and that is if I lay the clips flat. Any suggestions? I definitely don't want to disconnect the regular battery cables from the battery. Thanks.

I just attach mine to the bolts that hold the clamps tight to the terminals, does the same thing and they are smaller so its easy to attach them there. Hope this helps

Coldfingers

So if you plan on starting up and idling your Shelby every month through the winter do you need to use a battery tender?

Yes. Just letting the engine idle will not keep the battery charged.

In fact, if you're not going to run the engine up to full operating temps, it's not worth even starting it as you're doing more harm than good. If you don't get the temp up, you're not getting it hot enough to burn off the condensation in the oil.

Best advice - put the tender on, cover the car, and leave it until spring when you can get it out and run it hard.

Archived