TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby VS Corvette ZO6

svttim

No Vette for me.

I'd like to get a loaded GT350. To see that and the Vette sitting side-by-side, I would walk right past the Vette, wouldn't even notice it.

Plus, the Vette is Government Motors, and I've been there, done that with their HORRIBLE quality control.

My wife bought a few, I was always appalled at the hassles she had. It sent her running into the arms of Mitsubishi.

GM's gotten my money before, now - older and slightly wiser -I avoid 'em like the plague.

Jer

I've had both cars!

A few things. I sold the Z cause I was getting married and the car payment was nutty.

Here are some random thoughts as they pop into my head:

The Z was nearly perfect out of the box. Very few mods needed

My 2007 GT500 with 900 miles was pretty lame stock. Car needs an easy $20 in mods to make it bad ass if you ask me

The Z is sort of like Superman, and the Shelby is more like the Thing. One is slick and fast, the other is a brute.

GT500 is easier to live with in terms of getting around and visibility and driveways

Z06 gets amazing gas mileage on highway

To keep up with my Z in his GT500, my buddy needed, pulley, intake, exhaust, software, heatexchanger, and 3:73s. This kit kept up to 120 or so but after the Z seemed to be stronger

If you love the drag strip, the Shelby is friendlier there

If you are a road course guy, Z hands down all day

If you love huge mega power like 1000hp, the Shelby will get you there cheaper with just a kenne bel/whipplel, race fuel and few peripheral mods for less than $10k.

In terms of response from friend family and others, the Shelby receives a warmer response. The Vette is associated with a**holes, so you get lumped into that fast even though it's in its own league

Although the Shelby is no sleeper, you can def catch more people off guard than with the Z. The Z screams supercar,

Cheap mods are much greater with the Shelby. If you have mod fever like many of us, the Shelby is THE perfect car

No matter what I do, the song "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood pops into my head every time I start the Shelby up.

The Z06 is more of a techno car lol

Bottom line is, Americans love muscle cars.

Vette is more of a cop magnet just by its shape

More people come talk to me about the Shelby than the Vette. With the Vette they assume you are a prick for some reason...

Driving wise, the Vette was amazing, in the turns, but over bumps took some getting used to. Since you sit over the rear axle it hops

Z06 has run flats that suck and make the ride harsh. Later models have better shocks

The Vette's main issue for me was how hot the foot well got during Sunday cruises. It would get unbearable after a while. This is sort of fixable with dynamat but still an issue

The Shelby can still be functional should your dailry driver spend time in the shop. I've been to Home Depot numerous times and loaded the Shelby up.

Vette has good trunk space, but everything is right there behind you rolling around. You get that crappy dew rag like black thing to cover which I think sucks and flops in the wind.

Better technology in the Vette in terms of keyless entry, computer readings like, battery voltage, oil temp, coolant, individual tire pressure etc...

With great suspension mods like Griggs, solid engine mods like Kenne Bell, I have an 850+hp beast that will rip most Z06s a new one, and even hang with them on the road course

Z06 has better brakes all day long btw, though it has archaic suspension technology that works but is limited

I see fewer Shelbys than I do Vettes. Granted Z06s are rare enough.

I HAVE AT LEAST 4 PEOPLE LINED UP TO BUY MY SHELBY!!!! I had to sell my Z on autotrader... It was lemans blue so it went, but not as fast as my shelby can in Tungsten Grey :)

I've dumped more money into my Shelby than any car I've owned. 60% cause it needed it, and 40% cause I wanted it!!! The suspension was so bad stock, I immediately bought the Griggs GR40ss kit. RADICAL difference. That with Nitto NT01 tires and she grips and goes

Vette is subjectively sexier with gorgeous headlights, wide flanks meaty tires, whereas the Shelby is a Heavyweight boxer with a knockout left hook with a front end that looks like it can suck up small animals and children.

I still fear Z06s when I see them!! Those cars are so impressive pound for pound. It's one of the best cars of all time, and still a benchmark to other brands...

So ask yourself, do you want to bean olympic gymnast or a power lifter? That's kind of how they felt to me

GOOD LUCK! GREAT CHOICES!

P.S. I think I'll add another Z to my garage some day... Alongside the Shelby.. :)

I've had both cars!

A few things. I sold the Z cause I was getting married and the car payment was nutty.

Here are some random thoughts as they pop into my head:

The Z was nearly perfect out of the box. Very few mods needed

My 2007 GT500 with 900 miles was pretty lame stock. Car needs an easy $20 in mods to make it bad ass if you ask me

The Z is sort of like Superman, and the Shelby is more like the Thing. One is slick and fast, the other is a brute.

GT500 is easier to live with in terms of getting around and visibility and driveways

Z06 gets amazing gas mileage on highway

To keep up with my Z in his GT500, my buddy needed, pulley, intake, exhaust, software, heatexchanger, and 3:73s. This kit kept up to 120 or so but after the Z seemed to be stronger

If you love the drag strip, the Shelby is friendlier there

If you are a road course guy, Z hands down all day

If you love huge mega power like 1000hp, the Shelby will get you there cheaper with just a kenne bel/whipplel, race fuel and few peripheral mods for less than $10k.

In terms of response from friend family and others, the Shelby receives a warmer response. The Vette is associated with a**holes, so you get lumped into that fast even though it's in its own league

Although the Shelby is no sleeper, you can def catch more people off guard than with the Z. The Z screams supercar,

Cheap mods are much greater with the Shelby. If you have mod fever like many of us, the Shelby is THE perfect car

No matter what I do, the song "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood pops into my head every time I start the Shelby up.

The Z06 is more of a techno car lol

Bottom line is, Americans love muscle cars.

Vette is more of a cop magnet just by its shape

More people come talk to me about the Shelby than the Vette. With the Vette they assume you are a prick for some reason...

Driving wise, the Vette was amazing, in the turns, but over bumps took some getting used to. Since you sit over the rear axle it hops

Z06 has run flats that suck and make the ride harsh. Later models have better shocks

The Vette's main issue for me was how hot the foot well got during Sunday cruises. It would get unbearable after a while. This is sort of fixable with dynamat but still an issue

The Shelby can still be functional should your dailry driver spend time in the shop. I've been to Home Depot numerous times and loaded the Shelby up.

Vette has good trunk space, but everything is right there behind you rolling around. You get that crappy dew rag like black thing to cover which I think sucks and flops in the wind.

Better technology in the Vette in terms of keyless entry, computer readings like, battery voltage, oil temp, coolant, individual tire pressure etc...

With great suspension mods like Griggs, solid engine mods like Kenne Bell, I have an 850+hp beast that will rip most Z06s a new one, and even hang with them on the road course

Z06 has better brakes all day long btw, though it has archaic suspension technology that works but is limited

I see fewer Shelbys than I do Vettes. Granted Z06s are rare enough.

I HAVE AT LEAST 4 PEOPLE LINED UP TO BUY MY SHELBY!!!! I had to sell my Z on autotrader... It was lemans blue so it went, but not as fast as my shelby can in Tungsten Grey :)

I've dumped more money into my Shelby than any car I've owned. 60% cause it needed it, and 40% cause I wanted it!!! The suspension was so bad stock, I immediately bought the Griggs GR40ss kit. RADICAL difference. That with Nitto NT01 tires and she grips and goes

Vette is subjectively sexier with gorgeous headlights, wide flanks meaty tires, whereas the Shelby is a Heavyweight boxer with a knockout left hook with a front end that looks like it can suck up small animals and children.

I still fear Z06s when I see them!! Those cars are so impressive pound for pound. It's one of the best cars of all time, and still a benchmark to other brands...

So ask yourself, do you want to bean olympic gymnast or a power lifter? That's kind of how they felt to me

GOOD LUCK! GREAT CHOICES!

P.S. I think I'll add another Z to my garage some day... Alongside the Shelby.. :)

Wolf...Well said and very honest... :shift:

Great post, lays it all out there... by a guy who knows!

Jer

Coming from a 08 C6 Z06 Wolf your pretty close on my experiences as well. I loved the Vette(s) I and my father have owned, but I won't go back unless I start racing road courses for $$$ or I get a 3rd-4th car. Vettes are horrible (at least the Z06 & ZR1) driving in and around town, their fantastic on road course tracks (even though it feels like I'm back in my sprint cart days being so low to the ground and feeling every dimple on the road).

Archived