TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby VS Corvette ZO6

svttim

If you had the money for either one, which would you choose. Third car, no Family issues

I know you're being naughty!

Definitely the Corvette - I already have a Shelby!

If I was going to do it again, and performance was the deciding factor, it would probably be the Z06. Don't get me wrong here, I love my Mustang. The problem with the Mustang vs the Z06 is that it takes about $30,000.00 to make the Mustang perform like the Z06. The GT500 in stock trim is a great looking car, but performance wise it totally misses the mark. My car in current trim will outhandle the Z06, but it took a year and tons of money and labor to get it to that point. The Z06 is a great package right out of the box. Great suspension, great brakes, great engine, and tires and wheels wide enough to make use of the power under the hood.

Depends on your age. If I was your age Tim I would get the Z06 :hysterical:

Based on your reply, you are looking for a Huffy with training wheels... :hysterical:

Good question Tim...........I said no more new GM cars as long as I live but the Z06 could wear me down. They have a new, cool option that allows you, the owner, to build the engine going in your Z06 or ZR1. The builders signature plate on the engine would be your own name...........how cool is that..

So to answer the question..........it could be a GT350R if SA builds one.

No family issues? Third car? If they were giving Z06's away I wouldn't stand in line for one. I've never been a fan of the Vette. If I wanted to drag my butt on the ground and have to crawl in and out, I'd get me a souped-up go-kart!

I thought about a Vette when I bought my Shelby, I just could not do it, I prefer the Muscle Car. If I were going after another Sports car it would be a Porsche Hands down, not a Vette. The New Boxster Spyder would be my pick if I were buying a toy today.

I just need more garage space..........working on that before the next toy.

Shelby for sure!! Owning a GT500KR is a long dream come true. Only 1011 built in 08, and so much fun to drive... Plus, I just smoked two last weekend on the way to an early morning cruise. SHELBY!!!

If you had the money for either one, which would you choose. Third car, no Family issues

I posted a few weeks back that I had driven a 2008 Z06 Corvette and wow did that thing ever

impress me...It'll eat my GT500 with a 2.6 pully air int and program from EVO...Don't get me

wrong I love my Shelby but the Z06 impressed me so much that I may trade my GT500 next

spring for one...It was one hell of a ride and the sound from that 7.0 litre (427) was unreal.

my answer is yes I would take the Z06 over the GT500.

When in the market earlier this year, the Vette and the GT500 came down to the finalist in our decision for our newest toy. I personally wanted a Vette but the wife wanted something we could haul our kids with too (16 and 11) when cruising. Our kids are usually so active in sports and other activities it is pretty much the wife and I in the Shelby.

I love the Shelby but I would trade it off for a Z06 in a heartbeat if the wife would agree.

Interesting. I would not have expected these results. So, whats my answer, well, if I could only have 1 it would have to be my Shelby. I am finally modifying the car and I feel great about its performance. I see what some here have done and wow, thats all I can say. I know the vette out handles the Mustang and out accelerates it as well. But, I have been a pony car guy for my whole life and, there is no choice there. Of course, the GT350 should be more competitive against the Vette. But, since you brought it up, what would you want in a R Model GT350 and, what would you pay?

Interesting. I would not have expected these results. So, whats my answer, well, if I could only have 1 it would have to be my Shelby. I am finally modifying the car and I feel great about its performance. I see what some here have done and wow, thats all I can say. I know the vette out handles the Mustang and out accelerates it as well. But, I have been a pony car guy for my whole life and, there is no choice there. Of course, the GT350 should be more competitive against the Vette. But, since you brought it up, what would you want in a R Model GT350 and, what would you pay?

Just a few things I'd like.........no super charger, full Griggs set up, rear seat and muffler delete, biggest brakes that will fit, add some side scoops to cool the brakes and move a few things around for better weight balance. For price, just keep it under 6 figures.

Here is a Test for you........... Go to the Chevy Dealership and "Get in and OUT" of a Vette 10 Times, then do the same test with a Mustang (or Shelby). The Z06 is really Nice, but it is very Low to the ground plus the seats are very low. Will Your Hips and Legs survive getting in and out of a Car that Low.

Here is a Test for you........... Go to the Chevy Dealership and "Get in and OUT" of a Vette 10 Times, then do the same test with a Mustang (or Shelby). The Z06 is really Nice, but it is very Low to the ground plus the seats are very low. Will Your Hips and Legs survive getting in and out of a Car that Low.

Oh yeah Tes...Well lay a playboy model down on the floor and try jumping her bones ten

times...Then put one of my gals on a high bed and try the same thing then tell me which

one you'd rather marry... :hysterical:

Oh yeah Tes...Well lay a playboy model down on the floor and try jumping her bones ten

times...Then put one of my gals on a high bed and try the same thing then tell me which

one you'd rather marry... :hysterical:

Hey, if I could do it 10 times with a Playboy Model, WHY WOULD I WANT TO GET UP AFTERWARDS??????? :hysterical:

Yeah Tim, I find it interesting so many Shelby members are owners by default or circumstance and that they had to "settle" for the Shelby.:hysterical:

Since you didnt clarify, I will just add my two cents- If you are asking Shelby? I would rather have a GT350, any style, than a Z06, mine is faster and handles better than a Z06, AND I have a backseat to boot! I would own a 2011 GT500 SVTPP over it as well! Then we get into the wishlist- I would take a Daytona Coupe over any Shelby, but hey, Im not a Land Baron from Mexico, and then I would buy a Ford GT over a ZR1 no questions asked. I like vettes though...they look really nice......in my rear view mirror!happy%20feet.gif:shift:

I went through the same process last year. Around the track the Z06 can't be beat for the price, but go drive one down the road for a day. Rough ride, moves side to side in the lane with any road warp at all, hard to get in and out. I can drive 200 miles in the mustang and feel just fine when I get out of the car.

Final decision: Boss 302, or just s/c the SGT.

As long as its built by an american company, I'll buy it over any other car. I'd rather have any muscle car regardless of performance then a godzilla car. If I had a choice between a Z06 or a GT500 i'd go with the GT500. It's got such a great heritage behind it, it looks killer, and plus theres always going to be someone who has a faster car then you. I think the best of both worlds is a GT350.

I went through the same process last year. Around the track the Z06 can't be beat for the price, but go drive one down the road for a day. Rough ride, moves side to side in the lane with any road warp at all, hard to get in and out. I can drive 200 miles in the mustang and feel just fine when I get out of the car.

Final decision: Boss 302, or just s/c the SGT.

I did have one for most of the day and loved it...To me it's a much more refined ride

that my AC Cobra has and if some people think the Vette is hard to get into just try

the Cobra it's a freaking shoehorn affair everytime but I still love the Cobra...Like I said

before the Vette impressed very much...So much so that the next car parked alongside

Cobra might be it's rival the Vette.JMO.

Performance and price numbers aside, the vette does absolutely nothing for me. To be honest, I can't tell a C5 from a Z06 nor can I tell the different years apart.. Everywhere I go, I see a vette.

I'll stick to the 'Stang.

I could have bought either for about the same money back in 07 with the dealer rip offs but the vet just don't interest me at all and it is fun to blow the doors off them when they pull up beside you at the red light .I'am putting down 805 hp 685 torque the vet owner's think the gt500 will be easy to outrun they don't know what to think when they get spanked by a gt500 428cj

Performance and price numbers aside, the vette does absolutely nothing for me. To be honest, I can't tell a C5 from a Z06 nor can I tell the different years apart.. Everywhere I go, I see a vette.

I'll stick to the 'Stang.

+1

It would be a very easy choice for me - I've only ever had the slightest interest in a couple of Corvettes, and the last one of those was in 1967. I know the Z06s are pretty amazing performers, but that would never be enough to sway me to buy GM or to buy a Corvette.

My nephew has had a couple of them, and he brought his last one by right after he bought it to take me for a spin. As we drove away from my house, we passed a couple of cute gals walking up the street, who both turned and smiled.

He grinned at me and said, "I get a lot of that".

I replied, "Chris, those girls are 14 years old".

Chris: "Well, yeah......."

On the bright side, he saw the light and he now owns nine (at last count) Mustangs. No Shelbys, though - he specializes in the mid-80s Dominator and Predator Mustangs and is one of the leading authorities on those rare cars. He did drive my SGT home from Colorado, though, and I think he's put an S197 Mustang on his hit list.

Mark in Austin

Archived