TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terlingua " yellow " ???

richard m.switzer

" NOT SURE " if this has been covered before ,so I'm asking, I have always wondered what color is Terlngua " yellow ",,on the yellow Terlingua mustangs :headscratch: ,is it Ford paint code ( screaming yellow ) ,and like on the hood of a black Terlingua ,is it the same color ,its a cool looking color of yellow, :salute:2_119736.jpg

2_119736.jpg

" NOT SURE " if this has been covered before ,so I'm asking, I have always wondered what color is Terlngua " yellow ",,on the yellow Terlingua mustangs :headscratch: ,is it Ford paint code ( screaming yellow ) ,and like on the hood of a black Terlingua ,is it the same color ,its a cool looking color of yellow, :salute:2_119736.jpg

I think this is pretty cool, S11G356k.jpg :salute:

2_119736.jpg

S11G356k.jpg

All,

I will chime in with my best knowledge on this.

The original color is called "god awful yellow'. It is the color they paint the hood for the current black Terlingua I am told. It is a blend of secret herbs, spices and other such goodies.

The current yellow Terlinguas - 05 or 06 is screaming yellow and looks real similar to me. :salute:

David

• 3 weeks later...

In 1967 the color was Sunfire Yellow, a Corvette color. Carroll was not happy that all race cars were red, white or blue, and he couldn't tell his cars out on the track. So he wanted his T/A cars painted some other color so he could easily identify them on the track. That's why they were painted Sunfire Yellow. He immediately said it was the most "Gawd-awful yellow" color, and that stuck. The cars were originally painted solid yellow.

The first outing on the track the suns reflection off the yellow hood was blinding, so a can of flat black spray paint was used to matte out the horizontal surface. Once they got back to SAI the black was redone a little more profesionally, and the stripes added to make it look more balanced and like the paint scheme was planned that way.

The new yellow cars are Screaming Yellow, a color that Ford has used for years.

In 1967 the color was Sunfire Yellow, a Corvette color. Carroll was not happy that all race cars were red, white or blue, and he couldn't tell his cars out on the track. So he wanted his T/A cars painted some other color so he could easily identify them on the track. That's why they were painted Sunfire Yellow. He immediately said it was the most "Gawd-awful yellow" color, and that stuck. The cars were originally painted solid yellow.

The first outing on the track the suns reflection off the yellow hood was blinding, so a can of flat black spray paint was used to matte out the horizontal surface. Once they got back to SAI the black was redone a little more profesionally, and the stripes added to make it look more balanced and like the paint scheme was planned that way.

The new yellow cars are Screaming Yellow, a color that Ford has used for years.

Fantastic info John..............thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Going through some of my thousands of Kodachrome (RIP) slides, I found these two of Jerry Titus' Trans Am-winning notchback while in the stewardship of developer Ted Gildred. Location is the hairpin at the end of the long straight at Carlsbad Raceway. Month/year are June/1983. Nice yellow color, that.

Cheers!

5318629286_acc5800199_o.jpg

5318629230_bf818969de_o.jpg

More information on the notchbacks at: History

Archived