TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Marriage Complete

After 23 days of ownership, I have finally become one with my baby. The first 8 day test drive across the country was a start but traveling with some very special cargo (my daughter) inhibited full testing procedures for obvious reasons. After returning home with the car, the car spent another 8 days with the fine folks at Sloan Ford for a new coil, replacing a leaky caliper, and a slow but methodical exercise is computer science. Teams from the dealer, Shelby and Ford Racing worked for days to verify the tune and also to allow the dealer to recognize the computer on the car so the car could pass emissions. I cannot say enough for Chris at Sloan Ford. He treats all of my cars like they are his own and gives them the respect they deserve. So, in total, the car has been in my garage about 7 days.

After getting the car home Friday from Sloan Ford, I spent about 12 hours detailing every square centimeter of the car. I never really know a car until I'm able feel each and every panel and line during the detailing process. 3200 miles can bring quite a few little chips and countless numbers of little road tar blemishes. With my favorite paint cleaning products in hand (3M adhesive removal, denatured alcohol and paint thinner) I went to work to clean the paint and prep the paint for stone chip repair. After successful stone chip repair (for a novice) and paint cleaning, I began to use Griot's machine polish #3 with my orbital polisher. Next came Griot's best of show wax with the orbital and appropriate polishing pad. Now that she is clean, she will be even faster. :happy feet:

Saturday was the day all the moons aligned - I have the car, the roads are dry, it's above freezing (42), my kids were not in the car and I'm home near my "circuit" - roads I know and love! This car does not disappoint. On roads I have memorized I can begin to really push the car to the limits of summer tire adhesion int the winter. I'm getting used to the gearing in the car and the fact that it wants to run. When in doubt, keep it in the lower gear longer. No real chance yet to be on the boost for extended periods but in this weather, make sure your are unwinding the steering when the boost comes on. Simply more fun then I should be allowed. This process was mutually beneficial to me and the car and officially consummates the marriage after a very long courtship.

After 23 days of ownership, I have finally become one with my baby. The first 8 day test drive across the country was a start but traveling with some very special cargo (my daughter) inhibited full testing procedures for obvious reasons. After returning home with the car, the car spent another 8 days with the fine folks at Sloan Ford for a new coil, replacing a leaky caliper, and a slow but methodical exercise is computer science. Teams from the dealer, Shelby and Ford Racing worked for day to verify the tune and also to allow the dealer to recognize the computer on the car so the car could pass emissions. I cannot say enough for Chris at Sloan Ford. He treats all of my cars like they are his own and gives them the respect they deserve. So, in total, the car has been in my garage about 7 days.

After getting the car home Friday from Sloan Ford, I spent about 12 hours detailing every square centimeter of the car. I never really know a car until I'm able feel each and every panel and line during the detailing process. 3200 miles can bring quite a few little chips and countless numbers of little road tar blemishes. With my favorite paint cleaning products in hand (3M adhesive removal, denatured alcohol and paint thinner) I went to work to clean the paint and prep the paint for stone chip repair. After successful stone chip repair (for a novice) and pain cleaning, I began to use Griot's machine polish #3 with my orbital polisher. Next came Griot's best of show wax with the orbital and appropriate polishing pad. Now that she is clean, she will be even faster. :happy feet:

Saturday was the day all the moons aligned - I have the car, the roads are dry, it's above freezing (42), my kids were not in the car and I'm home near my "circuit" - roads I know and love! This car does not disappoint. On roads I have memorized I can begin to really push the car to the limits of summer tire adhesion int the winter. I'm getting used to the gearing in the car and the fact that it wants to run. When in doubt, keep it in the lower gear longer. No real chance yet to be on the boost for extended periods but in this weather, make sure your are unwinding the steering when the boost comes on. Simply more fun then I should be allowed. This process was mutually beneficial to me and the car and officially consummates the marriage after a very long courtship.

Sounds great!

Did you do the emissions check as part of your states registration requirements?

Sounds great!

Did you do the emissions check as part of your states registration requirements?

Yes. Pa requires it. I need to bring it back after I get about 100 more miles on it so they can plug it into the emissions computer. I guess I have some homework to get to today.

Archived