TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fly v Drive

Considering the recent (and future) security protocols at our airports, have you started to reconsider driving as opposed to flying?

If you think today's measures are extreme, read up on what's coming down the road.

Coast to coast trips obviously aren't part of this question.

But shorter trips might become more attractive on the ground.

Thoughts?

even before this silliness

5 hour flight to PS sitting on top of some person hacking , coughing, kids screaming and crying I hate it.

Fire up the Shelby it's a 20 hour cruse to PS we can stop for wine in Lodi again :hysterical: I-5 here I come.

Only a few reasons to fly;

death in the family :rip:

return after dropping the car off for winter storage :(

go visit the car :)

go pick the car up for the summer :yahoo:

am in need to have my JUNK fondled "NOT" do%20what.gif

They will never be able to demand us to go through the body imaging. Therefore, there will ALWAYS be the opt-out pat down procedure.

For my health, that is my consideration, and choice. My wife can and will do what she wants. But if she begins to glow in bed after the lights go out, I will be concerned for my own health, but by then it will be too late! :hysterical:

Seriously though, you simply cannot drive everywhere. As I asked tesgt350 before...what are you gonna do if you have a loved one come down sick immediately, and have to get somewhere quick? I know you mentioned flying for long distances and considering driving on short jaunts...but really, it still cheaper to fly, and get your junk felt up.

:salute:

They will never be able to demand us to go through the body imaging. Therefore, there will ALWAYS be the opt-out pat down procedure.

For my health, that is my consideration, and choice. My wife can and will do what she wants. But if she begins to glow in bed after the lights go out, I will be concerned for my own health, but by then it will be too late! :hysterical:

Seriously though, you simply cannot drive everywhere. As I asked tesgt350 before...what are you gonna do if you have a loved one come down sick immediately, and have to get somewhere quick? I know you mentioned flying for long distances and considering driving on short jaunts...but really, it still cheaper to fly, and get your junk felt up.

:salute:

:hysterical2: Too funny Chris.

I have been flying back and forth to work for the last 4 months and I have many more ahead of me. I'm racking up allot of air miles going back and forth from Oregon to Arizona. Getting in and out of the airport continues to be very very simple. The TSA has treated me very good. They have been very professional and I HAVE NOT WITNESSED ANYONE BEING TREATED BADLY. The security lines are quick and very easy to get thru. Even the day before Thanksgiving and 2 days after. All my flights are on US Air and they have never been late in the last 20,000 of my air miles that I have flown. The flight crew has been wonderful.

The shuttle buses to and fron the parking lots are fast and easy to use. The $9 a day parking fee is not to bad. This pays for all the buses and drivers.

If I was grading my experience flying for the last 4 months, I would give it an "A".

Considering the recent (and future) security protocols at our airports, have you started to reconsider driving as opposed to flying?

If you think today's measures are extreme, read up on what's coming down the road.

Coast to coast trips obviously aren't part of this question.

But shorter trips might become more attractive on the ground.

Thoughts?

I just canceled a trip to Alaska and dropped plans to go to the Bash in Vegas because flying has become a nightmare, thanks, as always to our wonderful incompetent government.

I fly on business only when I have to. As a family, we never fly; we only drive on vacations, using our motorhome. Been doing it this way for 10 years since all the ridiculous stuff started.

I'm sitting in the Denver airport as I write this. In the past 2 weeks I've had to go through security 4 times and have had ZERO issues, no pat-downs, no x-ray, no wand. Of course I'm a professional traveler with over a million actual flight miles on United alone, So I know "how" to travel.

Me and my family drove from my home to Vegas 3 times in 2010. It's 21 hours one way.

If I fly it can take up to 9 hours (one way) from the time I leave my front door, drive the 1.5 hours to the airport, clear customs, clear security, fly time, shuttle to the car rental agency, pickup car and the time to drive to where I stay.

Those extra 12 hours saves me, my wife and two kids approximately $1,500 (including all the gas, hotel and food for the 21 hours) per trip AND the drive through Alberta, Montana, Idaho and Utah is just spectacular (Salt Lake City is a bit of a gong show but this 90 minutes of challenges are something I am willing to endure) and when I get to Vegas, I have my own car with me.

So the unbelievable scenery is worth the drive in itself. Saving $1,500 per trip is just a bonus. 3 trips a year and in 8 years I have a new vehicle paid for.

It's simple, save money and watch the beautiful world roll by. I would recommend taking a drive.

QSS

Archived