TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looks much nicer now

mullens

Installed the NXTno drill hood struts. Took all of 30 minutes. Took off that cheap hood prop rod that belongs on a Fiesta.

They are very quality pieces and painted to match with OEM paint codes. Hood is much easier to raise now and looks much nicer. I highly recommend them.

I inquired about a warranty on the struts, but CJ Pony Parts has not answered me after several attempts. The struts are marvelous but customer service at CJ leaves much to be desired.

001-8.jpg

002-2.jpg

http://www.cjponyparts.com/hood-lift-support-kit-gt500-2007-2010/p/HDGL6/

Installed the NXTno drill hood struts. Took all of 30 minutes. Took off that cheap hood prop rod that belongs on a Fiesta.

They are very quality pieces and painted to match with OEM paint codes. Hood is much easier to raise now and looks much nicer. I highly recommend them.

001-8.jpg

002-2.jpg

http://www.cjponyparts.com/hood-lift-support-kit-gt500-2007-2010/p/HDGL6/

Hey now, that prop rod isn't even good enough for a Fiesta!

Hey now, that prop rod isn't even good enough for a Fiesta!

The prop rod isn't as bad as the yellow handle on the oil level dipstick. Lol.

It does look much better with the struts. They should come from the factory with them.

The test will be in windy conditions. It was at the 2009 Bash that we had very gusty winds at the track. I had not yet purchased hood struts at that point. The only brand that did not fail in the wind was Redline so I bought those. They require drilling which was not that big of a deal (although I sure thought so as I got ready to do it). I don't think this product was out yet. If there are struts that will hold the hood up in the wind and do not require drilling, that would be great.

Could not agree more that our cars should have come with struts from the factory.

Jim

The test will be in windy conditions. It was at the 2009 Bash that we had very gusty winds at the track. I had not yet purchased hood struts at that point. The only brand that did not fail in the wind was Redline so I bought those. They require drilling which was not that big of a deal (although I sure thought so as I got ready to do it). I don't think this product was out yet. If there are struts that will hold the hood up in the wind and do not require drilling, that would be great.

Could not agree more that our cars should have come with struts from the factory.

Jim

yeah--i saw a guy at a car show were it was pretty windy, blow out the lousy hood thing we all have, it went sidways,the hood closed on it and put major dent and paint damage on the fender--im guessing even if these dont do well in the wind, there wouldnt be any damage--im buying one today--thanks for info

• 3 weeks later...

Based on Mullens experience,i bought the CJ product and installed it today--many thanks to Mullens for his PMs on how to install the units ( mullens--you might want to post the instructions)--it took 30 minutes,no drilling at all--2man job at the end to hold the hood steady while the bolts are loosened--higly recoomend it--the hood closes very well by itself

Mullens---thanks again. BTW, i know these hoists pnematics will fail over time,so Im thinking of buying a 2nd pair just in case---do you know or anyone if they fail due to elapsed time or usage--only put 3000 miles per year,but plan on keeping the car for at least 7 years.Are there ways to slow down the aging process for the seals so the unit lasts longer---thanks

There's no way to lengthen the life of the shocks that that I know of. I finally got ahold of CJ and they warranty them for a year. I would treat them like any other wear item. If they last 3 years, it's a good investment.

Regarding replacement of the struts only, I called California Pony Cars who makes the struts, and they said you can order only the struts for $27.95 pr. CPC is a wholesaler so you would have to go through CJ and they would order from them.

There's no way to lengthen the life of the shocks that that I know of. I finally got ahold of CJ and they warranty them for a year. I would treat them like any other wear item. If they last 3 years, it's a good investment.

Regarding replacement of the struts only, I called California Pony Cars who makes the struts, and they said you can order only the struts for $27.95 pr. CPC is a wholesaler so you would have to go through CJ and they would order from them.

thanks--ill do that just in case--PS i was just thinking though that if time exposure to air is the issue,then buying tem and letting them sit out wont help,i think--the package they come in is sealed,vacuum packed probably for that reason--wonder if the replacements come sealed,or are they loose

I didn't ask but I'm sure they'd be sealed somehow. I wouldn't order them so soon though. By the time you will need them they may be 3 years old sitting in the box. If they go it won't be all at once...I assume they'll just gradually lose pressure and you'd have plenty of time to order new ones. My opinion only.

I didn't ask but I'm sure they'd be sealed somehow. I wouldn't order them so soon though. By the time you will need them they may be 3 years old sitting in the box. If they go it won't be all at once...I assume they'll just gradually lose pressure and you'd have plenty of time to order new ones. My opinion only.

i agree,but if they change the design or weight of the hood, CJ may not continue with this prodcut--then wed be stuck---thats kinda why i have an NOS set of front seat covers for my car,just in case.But i guess since these liits fit 2005 and onward,theyll still keep making them . But ill call them tomorrow and see how theyre shipped--thanks bob

i agree,but if they change the design or weight of the hood, CJ may not continue with this prodcut--then wed be stuck---thats kinda why i have an NOS set of front seat covers for my car,just in case.But i guess since these liits fit 2005 and onward,theyll still keep making them . But ill call them tomorrow and see how theyre shipped--thanks bob

Let me know what you find out Bob.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have the NXT struts, I found the part number to order replacement struts only. It's from CJ Pony part #ENG000472 REPLACEMENT STRUTS. They are only $29.95 with free shipping. I ordered a pair just to have since they are the only wear part and are so cheap. You have to call for these as they are not listed on their website.

Does anyone know where I can get these in 2011 colors like Ingot Silver?

The manufacturer/wholesaler is California Pony Cars (CJ is the distributor). You may want to give them a call or just ask CJ. They are very helpful.

^ what other vendor make's them because I just got off the phone with CJPonyparts said they couldn't get them in the new 2011 colors, and they weren't helpful AT ALL, after they said NO there was just silence on the phone, they couldn't even point me in the right direction, offer suggestion's or tell me if they intended to continue providing new GT500's with the right parts ? You'd think these companies would want to include the 2011+ owners in their business model. Oh well I guess my $500 order will go to another vendor that's willing to work with 2011 owners.

I called Silverhorse 4-5 months ago and asked about getting their louvers painted my 2011 color and they said "Geeze another silver color change, we don't have it in stock but we will be happy to get get it painted the correct factory color for you." now that's more like it.

Like I said call the wholesaler Ca Pony Cars 888-225-7669. They are affiliated with NXT and the ones that first informed me of the replacement struts. They would know. CJ Pony Parts is a different company any is only a distributor.

For those who have the NXT struts, I found the part number to order replacement struts only. It's from CJ Pony part #ENG000472 REPLACEMENT STRUTS. They are only $29.95 with free shipping. I ordered a pair just to have since they are the only wear part and are so cheap. You have to call for these as they are not listed on their website.

did they come painted and sealed---bob--I had called CJ and they didnt know--looks like i called the wrong place

The hardest part of the install was getting those stupid stickers off of the struts. They are on with real good glue, so it took a bunch of Goo Gone along with a steam cleaner to get them off.

Dan if you can't find '11 colors I'd just buy unpainted aluminum and just paint them with some OEM touch up from the dealer. You can't beat the sales price and it won't be here much longer.

Archived