TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 Ride Quality

a gt 500

Can anyone tell me how the GT 500 is to drive around town? I'd would really like to get one and would like to hear from someone who actually owns one rather than the dealers sales manager. Can anyone tell me if it's similiar to the Mustang GT ride?

I hope the GT 500 does not ride like the F-150 Harley Davidson truck with supercharger I drove, I loved the perfomance (for a truck) but the ride was so rough it was awful.

I don't want a GT 500 for a daily driver or a even a Sunday driver...I want it to be a fair weather driver.

Welcome aGT500,

You have come to the right place to get that question answered. With in a day, you should have a good perspective. I am waiting for mine to arrive...it's on the train now. I have a 2007 GT/CS and drove a friends GT500 a few weeks ago. They are both very nice cars to drive. Enjoy the site. You will learn alot about these cars here.

Can anyone tell me how the GT 500 is to drive around town? I'd would really like to get one and would like to hear from someone who actually owns one rather than the dealers sales manager. Can anyone tell me if it's similiar to the Mustang GT ride?

I hope the GT 500 does not ride like the F-150 Harley Davidson truck with supercharger I drove, I loved the perfomance (for a truck) but the ride was so rough it was awful.

I don't want a GT 500 for a daily driver or a even a Sunday driver...I want it to be a fair weather driver.

Well IMO, other than beating the crap out of the clutch, around town driving is great. The engineers did their homework on this car, because even though the car is heavy, its weight does not impede its handling characteristics or ride quality. To me, the ride is quite comfortable. The stock shock valving is biased towards providing a moderately soft but confident ride, which may be one of the causes of the notorious wheel hop that occurs under hard acceleration. The rear of the car has a tendancy (read: definately) to snap out hard on you if you hit any moderately sized crack or expansion joint during hard cornering, but its not has dramatic as a couple of so called "Automotive Journalists" have made it out to be. And once you know how the car is going to react under hard cornering, after awhile it becomes predicable and you get used to it. The car's weight can be an advantage because it makes it easer to get the rear end out to power drift through turns. Just downshift and modulate the throttle right before the apex of the turn, and the combination of the car's weight and the engine's torque will pull the rear end sideways in a controlled drift.

Compared to the GT Mustang I would say that the 500 has a firmer ride, but the its formidable weight prevents it from being too firm.

Just my opinion.

Archived