TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Road Course track wheel and tire combo

CobraCV

Some of you know that I am always on the search for great track and street combos. Well I found the ideal road course track wheels and tire.

While at SEMA this year I interviewed a number of wheel and tire companies and a few that weren't at SEMA this year.

I found the stickiest track tires that are still street legal and a wheel that made my 08 Super Snake rag tiop track like a slot car.

I used the HRE R40 forged racing wheels and the Toyo R888 tire. Now I can throw this 4317 pound beast around any road course safely and at as extreme of speeds as the car can do.

The combo is as follows:

18 X 9 front & 18 X 11 rear

using the Toyo 265/35/18 front & 305/35/18

If you are a solom racer you will want to use the HRE's at 9.5 front and use the Toyo 275/35/18 and the rears remain the same size.

If any of you want this combo or care to see if we can work out a group buy please feel free to let me know and I'll go to the manufacturers to work out a deep pocket discount. With groups of three set I can get some pretty sweet deals for you but I will start by letting you all know that at retail this is just under a $7000 package. In groups of 3 sets we can get pricing just under $5000 per set. With that said, if you are a certified racer or can join in with one, I can get even better pricing on the sets. Even a 1 set purchase can be had for less if you have a cert. These R wheels are not cheap but are stranger than anything made and so as such are safer on the track and they are so light you will be surprised when you pick up the wheel. The tires I can get for better than internet or street prices which help keep the package down to these kinds of costs.

post-24829-044078500 1290802034_thumb.jpg

post-24829-012899700 1290802037_thumb.jpg

post-24829-065188100 1290802039_thumb.jpg

post-24829-044078500 1290802034_thumb.jpg

post-24829-012899700 1290802037_thumb.jpg

post-24829-065188100 1290802039_thumb.jpg

Some of you know that I am always on the search for great track and street combos. Well I found the ideal road course track wheels and tire.

While at SEMA this year I interviewed a number of wheel and tire companies and a few that weren't at SEMA this year.

I found the stickiest track tires that are still street legal and a wheel that made my 08 Super Snake rag tiop track like a slot car.

I used the HRE R40 forged racing wheels and the Toyo R888 tire. Now I can throw this 4317 pound beast around any road course safely and at as extreme of speeds as the car can do.

The combo is as follows:

If you are a solom racer you will want to use the HRE's at 9.5 front and use the Toyo 275/35/18 and the rears remain the same size.

If any of you want this combo or care to see if we can work out a group buy please feel free to let me know and I'll go to the manufacturers to work out a deep pocket discount. With groups of three set I can get some pretty sweet deals for you but I will start by letting you all know that at retail this is just under a $7000 package. In groups of 3 sets we can get pricing just under $5000 per set. With that said, if you are a certified racer or can join in with one, I can get even better pricing on the sets. Even a 1 set purchase can be had for less if you have a cert. These R wheels are not cheap but are stranger than anything made and so as such are safer on the track and they are so light you will be surprised when you pick up the wheel. The tires I can get for better than internet or street prices which help keep the package down to these kinds of costs.

I am interested. A couple of questions. 1) I am a road racer and am curious why not to run the 9.5 fronts and a 275 or 285 front tire. With all the weight on the front end, we need all the tire we can get to combat understeer, 2) can you get that wheel in a 11.5"? This would make it easier to run a 315 rear, 3) can I get the wheels only(not a deal breaker) as I already have track tires and the Toyo's are not my tire of choice, and 4) how much do the wheels weigh?

I have my Razors widened to 11.75" and dont have any rubbing issues. I am only running 305's for now. My next set of rears will be 335's so I will see then although several SS owners are running 335's w/o any problems.

I have been using my stock GT-500 wheels on the track and have just been waiting for the right opportunity to get a light weight set of wheels. This could be the right time.

Thnx for trying to pull this together. I hope you are successfull.

BJ

I am interested. A couple of questions. 1) I am a road racer and am curious why not to run the 9.5 fronts and a 275 or 285 front tire. With all the weight on the front end, we need all the tire we can get to combat understeer, 2) can you get that wheel in a 11.5"? This would make it easier to run a 315 rear, 3) can I get the wheels only(not a deal breaker) as I already have track tires and the Toyo's are not my tire of choice, and 4) how much do the wheels weigh?

I have my Razors widened to 11.75" and dont have any rubbing issues. I am only running 305's for now. My next set of rears will be 335's so I will see then although several SS owners are running 335's w/o any problems.

I have been using my stock GT-500 wheels on the track and have just been waiting for the right opportunity to get a light weight set of wheels. This could be the right time.

Thnx for trying to pull this together. I hope you are successfull.

BJ

Run any size that suits your driving style and car. We found that you can easily fit 18/10 front and 18/12 rear. Although Shelby brake ducts need to come off or relocated/redone, even using 11" wheels cause this modification.

This particular combo @ 9" or 9.5" with the 35 sidewall will definately support the heavy front end of your car. As a road racer you may already know sidewall bubble causes a wobble in corners so be sure to keep your sidewall standing straight up for best traction and handeling.

Run any size that suits your driving style and car. We found that you can easily fit 18/10 front and 18/12 rear. Although Shelby brake ducts need to come off or relocated/redone, even using 11" wheels cause this modification.

This particular combo @ 9" or 9.5" with the 35 sidewall will definately support the heavy front end of your car. As a road racer you may already know sidewall bubble causes a wobble in corners so be sure to keep your sidewall standing straight up for best traction and handeling.

Yep. I do know about the side wall issue. That is why I want as wide a wheel as possible. I am running the 3.6LC S/C so hooking up coming out of the corners is an issue as well as the understeer. I am running Michelin Pilot Sport R componds on the stock GT-500 wheels 265f and 295r. The rear brake ducts are off due to the tires rubbing. I dont think the rears did much anyway. I havent had any fade issues with them off.

thnx for the info

BJ

If you're trying to keep the beast in control under throttle on corners with the kind of power we're putting to the rear wheels, the R1 Goodrich or the Toyo R888 are really good. A Saleen or Chicane Sport Tuning Wats Link will help a lot too. You can't solve the problem with wider tires only. I'm hitting the ground at 711 hp now and I fully understand the engineering on this issue now. First problem is it's a Mustang. Second is how to get the power in your control. Third problem is it all costs money. I'm going to take better pics later today. The others were from my phone.

Jason

PS. Let me know if you need any research info or places to check into for go fast stuff

If you're trying to keep the beast in control under throttle on corners with the kind of power we're putting to the rear wheels, the R1 Goodrich or the Toyo R888 are really good. A Saleen or Chicane Sport Tuning Wats Link will help a lot too. You can't solve the problem with wider tires only. I'm hitting the ground at 711 hp now and I fully understand the engineering on this issue now. First problem is it's a Mustang. Second is how to get the power in your control. Third problem is it all costs money. I'm going to take better pics later today. The others were from my phone.

Jason

PS. Let me know if you need any research info or places to check into for go fast stuff

LOL!! :hysterical: Thnx again for additional info. I am hooked up with Van from Revan Racing and am trying to decide to go full GRIGGS, rear end GRIGGS or do nothing. I ultimately want a dedicated track car. I am considering a 2011 GT or a Boss 302. Either way I can use the wheels cause it will be a Mustang. I just gotta figure out how much more $ I want to spend on the SS before I get another Mustang. I am leaning toward rear end only GRIGGS.

Let's get some people to sign up for these wheels!

BJ

LOL!! :hysterical: Thnx again for additional info. I am hooked up with Van from Revan Racing and am trying to decide to go full GRIGGS, rear end GRIGGS or do nothing. I ultimately want a dedicated track car. I am considering a 2011 GT or a Boss 302. Either way I can use the wheels cause it will be a Mustang. I just gotta figure out how much more $ I want to spend on the SS before I get another Mustang. I am leaning toward rear end only GRIGGS.

Let's get some people to sign up for these wheels!

BJ

If you want a dedicated track car and street use is not needed, check out Rehagen racing's website for cars. They make the best cars out there at a very reasonable price

The combo is as follows:

Thanks for the info and checked out the wheels. They also look great polished!

HRER40-1.jpg

HRER40-2.jpg

HRER40-3.jpg

Spoke with HRE Engineering yesterday. These wheels can be made in any width you want to have made. We did measure the wheel well and decided that any larger than 10" front and 12" rear on a 05 - 011 Mustang would not be recommended. 11" rear is perfect with 305, 11.5" rear makes a great fit for 315 and 12" rear makes for the perfect fit up to 335 but on a 335 you'll get a little side wall bubble creating a little slop on the butt of the car on the track.

Just received a txt from HRE Engineering. They've decided to sell a test fit set in black finish for $2400 plus shipping. 18X9 and 18X11 in perfect condition is what they said. That's below the price they said is wholesale by a lot of duckets! Contact me if you have any interest. They don't sell direct to consumers but they'll make it happen through my company.

Jason

Just received a txt from HRE Engineering. They've decided to sell a test fit set in black finish for $2400 plus shipping. 18X9 and 18X11 in perfect condition is what they said. That's below the price they said is wholesale by a lot of duckets! Contact me if you have any interest. They don't sell direct to consumers but they'll make it happen through my company.

Jason

You are such a tease Jason!

If they were 18x9.5 and 18x11 polished they would be perfect!

Oh well :banghead:

You can still do 275's on the 9" with a little bubble on your sidewall but they aren't the shiny ones.

I remember my mom changed all the door handles, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures to chrome and shiny brass a little over 60 years old. I learned that 88% of thr elderly do that. Makes you think doesn't it? ...lol really I would have sent youa PM if they had been polished.

Peace!

You can still do 275's on the 9" with a little bubble on your sidewall but they aren't the shiny ones.

I remember my mom changed all the door handles, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures to chrome and shiny brass a little over 60 years old. I learned that 88% of thr elderly do that. Makes you think doesn't it? ...lol really I would have sent youa PM if they had been polished.

Peace!

Kathy will kick your butt for saying she is old! She does not like the black finish ones. Wait till the next time she sees you :hysterical3:

Hiding!

Well being on my second marriage and wouldn't want Kathy upset. I say stay with the shiny wheels and tell her it was just a observation not an accusation. 

Well being on my second marriage and wouldn't want Kathy upset. I say stay with the shiny wheels and tell her it was just a observation not an accusation. 

Jason and anybody else, I had a wierd deal yesterday that I need some help on. In preparation to run Homestead today I changed my brake pads like I always do. I finally had to replace the rear rotors as the original Baer's were starting to crack(see my post on how the fronts cracked!!). Once done w/the pad and rotor swap I set out to season the rotors. Immediately when I pulled out of the driveway, I had a rub on the left front. I have Michelin Pilot Sport R compounds on my stock GT-500 wheels for the track. I have had them on the car 8 times w/no issues. This time the left front caliper was rubbing on the inside of the wheel. I removed and reinstalled the caliper 3 times and could not resolve the rubbing issue. The other 3 wheels were fine, The Baer calipers are a tight fit on the 18's, but they have always fit. Before I get professional help, does anybody have any ideas?? If you look at the caliper, it looks fully seated and the pads are as far forward on the rotor that they can go. It really has me perplexed. It caused me to run the SS 20's, which I had never done befor on the track. The P-zeros did an ok job. Not nearly as good as the Pilot Sports, but ok. It was the 1st time out since putting the 3.6LC S/C on the car. WOW!! what a difference. That level of power is amazing!! The care ran great, I drove pretty well and helped hold up the Shelby name. There where 4 Shelby's there(2 beginers and 2 intermediates). Only a couple of really trick cars could get buy us. Ferrarri challenge F430 on slicks and a tricked out 911 Turbo S with a really good driver. That was it. There were lots of fun stuf there to conquer(Viper ACR's(3), Z06 Vettes, M3"s, 1 Lambo and Camaros are starting to show up at the track!, etc) Great weather, great day.

Any ideas on the fitment issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx

BJ

BJ,

It's possible the rotor is not seated correctly. I'd start at square one and seat the rotor again then the caliper and see if that corrects your issue. Somehow you've ended up 3/8 of an inch off on the install. Rag Top Day-Michael is a Ford mechanic and a good one I hear. Maybe he has input. PM him and you'll probably get a quick response. Sorry, it's all I can think of without seeing the car.

Jason

BJ,

It's possible the rotor is not seated correctly. I'd start at square one and seat the rotor again then the caliper and see if that corrects your issue. Somehow you've ended up 3/8 of an inch off on the install. Rag Top Day-Michael is a Ford mechanic and a good one I hear. Maybe he has input. PM him and you'll probably get a quick response. Sorry, it's all I can think of without seeing the car.

Jason

Jason, Thnx. I will pm Rag Top and see what he says.

BJ

She says ok she forgives you but thinks you are still on the naughty list :hysterical3:

I'm ok with naughty list. Certainly didn't want my butt kicked! 

Jason, Thnx. I will pm Rag Top and see what he says.

BJ

[/quote

Welcome, hopefully he's got your fix. If not, pm Chicanetech. Joe sets my cars up for the track and sets up brakes nicely. His shop # is

(310) 782-0063. Just in case I have his TS I'd wrong.

Good Luck BJ

Just an idea. The washer did not wind up on the wrong side of the caliper mounting stud?

I really don't think so. I am outta town till next week. i will check when I get back. But I took the caliper off and on a total of 4 times(initial and then 3 times after rub discovered) so I think I would have figured that out. But, maybe not. So I will check. Thnx for the idea.

• 10 months later...

Archived