TEAM SHELBY FORUM

USA Today Article

RogerS

Interesting information, Roger. Do you know the date of the stockholder meeting? Seems like this time every year, we have to ask for this date rather than it being posted. I would like to come, assuming the date will work on my end. If I do not see you before, see you in January. Thanks.

Jim

Interesting information, Roger. Do you know the date of the stockholder meeting? Seems like this time every year, we have to ask for this date rather than it being posted. I would like to come, assuming the date will work on my end. If I do not see you before, see you in January. Thanks.

Jim

+1

I'd like to be there.

Shelby, the founder, is now 87, taking 25 pills a day, living with a transplanted heart and tooling around in a motorized wheelchair.

The last part of that sentence is not an accurate portrayal of Carroll in my opinion. Carroll may use a motorized cart while attending events like the SEMA show but to portray that Carroll is tied to a wheelchair is incorrect. At 87 years old and with multiple health issues it is understandable that long walks or prolonged standing take a toll on Carroll but trust me Carroll in no way resembles people depicted in those TV commercials for companies selling mobility chairs. Anyone who saw Carroll and Edsel Ford touring the GT350 production area a few weeks back can attest to this.

Steve

Shelby, the founder, is now 87, taking 25 pills a day, living with a transplanted heart and tooling around in a motorized wheelchair.

The last part of that sentence is not an accurate portrayal of Carroll in my opinion. Carroll may use a motorized cart while attending events like the SEMA show but to portray that Carroll is tied to a wheelchair is incorrect. At 87 years old and with multiple health issues it is understandable that long walks or prolonged standing take a toll on Carroll but trust me Carroll in no way resembles people depicted in those TV commercials for companies selling mobility chairs. Anyone who saw Carroll and Edsel Ford touring the GT350 production area a few weeks back can attest to this.

Steve

Hell, I take 25 pills a day, hate to see where im at at Carrolls age

87 and counting .... just another reason why the man is a legend!!!!

When I visited with him in 1999, he said he was taking 38 pills a day at the time. Must be doing a lot better. Hell, there are many days when I would like to get around in an electric scooter and I am 25 years younger than 'Shel.

"After earning nearly $1.1 million in 2008, publicly traded Shelby American lost $3.6 million last year".

Yeah, that caught my attention too.

Is there anyone out there that still wonders why Amy Boylan is not the President/CEO of Shelby American anymore?

It's a business. In business, you either perform or you leave.

"The Buck stops HERE."

Phill

Is it just me reading "between the lines" but I see in the near future that there will only be GT500's and SAI will be out of the car building industry.

That's what I see.

:(

It's funny...I come home from Az to this post. The wife and I made the decision to KEEP our 500 this past weekend. Long term. We surmized that the 500's were built with the SHELBY nameplate and recieved the high-qual. build on a professional assy. line. Whereas the cars touched in Vegas...not so much. Thankfully for me I did the orginal Shelby color scheme, which was the intention when I ordered it anyway. After reading this article, Roger...I'm feeling real good about what's in my garage! Thanks for the post!

BIKEBOY

That's what I see.

:(

It's funny...I come home from Az to this post. The wife and I made the decision to KEEP our 500 this past weekend. Long term. We surmized that the 500's were built with the SHELBY nameplate and recieved the high-qual. build on a professional assy. line. Whereas the cars touched in Vegas...not so much. Thankfully for me I did the orginal Shelby color scheme, which was the intention when I ordered it anyway. After reading this article, Roger...I'm feeling real good about what's in my garage! Thanks for the post!

BIKEBOY

So that means you will not get the 350 anymore? I've seen your posts thats how I know.

I would not mind seeing them taking a step back and focusing more on quality than quantity. Don't forget the GT350 is a leftover from Amy's world. The new head honcho has to deal with that the best way he can. What's more important at this stage is getting the company pointed in a futuristic direction. Otherwise it might be time to fold up.

The USA Today article saddened me a bit when I read through it the other day. I think it is 'stand-up' of Roger to post it up! :)

As well as reading the newest SHELBY magazine that just arrived, I have a pretty good view on what's up now. In a nutshell, I am saddened. All good things come to an end. The only difference between now and 1970, is that Carroll is not 47 years old anymore. He mentions in the article, "years ago you could tune a car with a screwdriver, today it's done with the click of a few computer keys." I'm reading between the lines, of course, but it seems that he is not as excited about the industry as he once was?

Things are much different today in many ways...cars are more advanced, aka (not as fun to tune)...economy is terrible (last time just fuel was too high), and Carroll is slowing down, given his age...God Bless him!!

I COMPLETELY understand business, as I owned my own for ten and a half years. You must adjust and constantly re-think your plan and direction, or you get run over by the competition, or in this case with the economy...you die! John Luft is no dope. He is a sharp guy and will do what he has to do. If it means building less cars and focusing more on aftermarket parts/service/builds that make the SAI business model more streamline and 'clean', then that's what will happen. Sure, it makes me sad. Of course I want to see the SHELBY brand continue on for years to come, as it just feeds the cred and the lifelong history into all of our cars. But as I said at the top...all good things come to an end. In 1970 when Carroll closed up shop in L.A., I'm sure he thought it would not return the way it has of recent with the FORD relationship. But, he was only 47 years old then. For most, the whole world awaits when you are only 47. Look what happened this second time around...remarkable, given the fact that so many models of SHELBY's have been built this time. If anyone wasn't too sure about him leaving his mark on the automotive world the first time around.............jeez, this time he made a lasting impression!!!

Every time I get in my car and fire it up, I look over to the center dash A/C vents and tear up with joy that 'The Man' signed off on my car!!! That man has been a lifelong source of dreaming, 'what if' for me, and now I own a piece of that automotive history! No-one can take that away from me. I ordered my car new, and have a mile long paper and memorabilia trail that just reinforce the ownership experience.

Last week, after careful consideration, my wife and I have decided to keep the GT500 and NOT order a GT350. I am very happy with the build quality of my car and feel like it is GT350 colorized and will be easier to drive without my heart skipping a beat with every tick of the odo. The GT350 program is going to make a very few owners very, very happy for a long, long time! They will no doubt be privvy to the last and fewest build of the latest specialty SHELBY's. I think Tony356 is doing the right thing by ordering a BOSS and not 'wadding up' as he called it, the 350 on a track somewhere. IMHO, his car along all of the other GT350 owners cars, that get built, will be highly sought after when we are dead and gone.

I would love for the economy to have been better off in order to support a more profitable, long term future for SAI in order for them to continue putting special cars in the hands of a few...to steal a phrase from Saleen. But, things didn't work out that way. Nonetheless, we owners that have been forward thinking enough to get 'on board' so to speak, and buy up these pieces of history, will forever be able to say we participated in that legacy. For all that, I am extremely happy, and my hat is off to you Carroll, for all you have done in your lifelong career. You have no idea how you have touched all of us that follow your legacy. It may seem a bit odd to you, that SHELBY automobiles take up so much of our time and thoughts on a daily basis, but you have to be a follower to understand. I've enjoyed the ride!

BIKEBOY :salute::cry:

No I don't Jim. That information would come from the Board I would assume.

Roger

But can you walk point on this? Every year, and I mean every year, I spend more time that I should have to spend to find out when my stockholder meeting is and were it is. You are the person I know and trust and if you cannot get the information with a phone call, I know I am doomed. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Bikeboy,

You nailed it in all respects. Complete and well written. We are witnessing, sadly, the end of an era. You point about what Mr. Shelby said about tuning cars with computers is very perceptive. When I had a built '66 Mustang (alas, not a Shelby), the best tune I ever had on the car was one done with simple tools and a good "ear." I confess, I miss those days greatly.

Jim

Bikeboy,

You nailed it in all respects. Complete and well written. We are witnessing, sadly, the end of an era. You point about what Mr. Shelby said about tuning cars with computers is very perceptive. When I had a built '66 Mustang (alas, not a Shelby), the best tune I ever had on the car was one done with simple tools and a good "ear." I confess, I miss those days greatly.

Jim

Thanks Ump!!

:salute:

In order to understand the loss you have to look at the financials. Close examination of the audited financials will tell you that, through accquisitions and opening new operating businesses is the reason for the loss.

In some cases a loss is actually a good thing. Depending upon a companys structure, accounting and other miscellaneous line items, a loss may benefit the overall company. The company may be able to carry forward losses and protect gains.

Shelby is obviously restructuring in a certain fashion and write-offs or losses may be beneficial in the future. My take is that they are cutting out the least profitiable divisions, cutting their lossses and retooling for a more focused and higher profit business overall. Every company owner goes through this every so many years and you have no choice as a busines owner.

Archived