TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What dictates build order?

I've kept up with most of the threads here and I'm certainly not trying to cause any hard feelings, just a question which I have not seen answered from what I can find. How is build order dictated? Is it by when initial funds are received by SA, when the car is received? Accounting principle of FIFO, first in first out, LIFO of Last in first out since the first in is now burried in the back of the warehouse? A bit of all above?

Now that there is the thread of car #99 being for sale at a dealer, see here:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62730-new-gt350-on-dealer-lot/

Again, not trying to flame anything or cause any hard feelings, just what should be a simple question right?

:salute:

Numbers, CSM's, are not the order in which the cars are built. The car on the dealer lot belongs to a customer who placed a deposit at Barrett-Jackson last February and was one of the first cars to arrive at the factory.

You may or may not remember that the initial cars were put on hold at the factory. Many were built and sitting in the transportation lot. Essentially it put the project 3+ months behind. When the vehicles were shipped, by rail, it was not in the order they were built, but the way they stacked up for rail transport. Cars that were built first did not ship first. Hence the disparity of when the car was built to when the car arrived and placed into production.

Hope this explains some of the confusion and frustrations.

Roger

Roger is dead on on the build issue. My car was one of three pre-production vehicles done for conversion to the GT350. We expected our cars built first week in April to be out in Vegas by Easter, and the day they were prepped for railcar transport, Ford stopped everything, and issued a hold due to a problem with the tune. All cars had to be reflashed, and since my car and the others were out of the facility, they got brought back, and while in the lot, they got stacked with the production cars and got mixed in. I made a couple personal favor calls to get my car out of the mess, and on transport. If I hadn't done that, my car would have been delayed several weeks.

So Jeff, the short answer is order the donor cars are recieved.

I was heading from san Diego to palm springs today for thanksgiving and saw a GT350 on a car carrier heading some where into So Cal. It was mixed in with a carrier of new fords so guessing it was heading to a dealer lot. Should make someone happy soon.

Cool, thanks. I knew the CSM number didn't mean as much since there were numbers reserved. I remember the hold up of the cars at the factory. I didn't know that the order got messed up at Ford due to this, but makese sense. Just a real bummer for the folks that cars were setting out on the lot at Ford and later builds went out the door first. So Shelby is working on a FIFO principle, but the stack up at Ford caused more of a LIFO effect during that period.

My car was built 5/1 by Ford and did not arrive in LV until July 3rd. Then it had a scuff on it and went to Ford's body shop for another three weeks.

Needless to stay, I didn't realize the impact of Ford's delays would have on my build schedule.

I still do not have a confirmed delivery date.

My car was built 5/1 by Ford and did not arrive in LV until July 3rd. Then it had a scuff on it and went to Ford's body shop for another three weeks.

Needless to stay, I didn't realize the impact of Ford's delays would have on my build schedule.

I still do not have a confirmed delivery date.

Ditto

Ditto

Me three! My car was in Vegas in June and went MIA for the same issues. Finally hit SA in July. I should have my auto by now. There needs to be a better process. If I don’t hear anything in two weeks I will be posting it up on e-bay. I’ve had enough!

Me three! My car was in Vegas in June and went MIA for the same issues. Finally hit SA in July. I should have my auto by now. There needs to be a better process. If I don't hear anything in two weeks I will be posting it up on e-bay. I've had enough!

I know I'm only watching from the cheap seats, but hang tough. She'll be worth the wait.

Me three! My car was in Vegas in June and went MIA for the same issues. Finally hit SA in July. I should have my auto by now. There needs to be a better process. If I don't hear anything in two weeks I will be posting it up on e-bay. I've had enough!

I know its easy to say but hang in there as a lot of us went through this in 07` waiting for the first Shelbys , so we do understand what you are going through. All I can say is it is worth the wait even though your frustrated right now.

Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement it really helps. This car will have to be something spectacular for me to recommend SA to someone in the future. I’m in the automotive industry and would never service my customers, dealers, and wholesalers the way some of us are handled by SA.

If this car sweeps me off my feet I will be the first to admit it, At this point I doubt I will see a delivery.

Thanks Again.

We state, when customers call, what we expect to be a delivery date based on production schedule and flow of vendor parts. We are providing realistic dates for delivery expectation. But due to the delays of the original cars and how they arrived cars are not built from when the order was placed but again by delivery date.

Regarding Manufactures, as we do not manufacture the base donor vehicle, do not let us or their customer know of quality holds. At least we try to provide realistic dates, they may not like the date but they will have one. We are expecting the flow to improve timing.

As always you can call the office and we will give you expected delivery dates.

Roger

We state, when customers call, what we expect to be a delivery date based on production schedule and flow of vendor parts. We are providing realistic dates for delivery expectation. But due to the delays of the original cars and how they arrived cars are not built from when the order was placed but again by delivery date.

Regarding Manufactures, as we do not manufacture the base donor vehicle, do not let us or their customer know of quality holds. At least we try to provide realistic dates, they may not like the date but they will have one. We are expecting the flow to improve timing.

As always you can call the office and we will give you expected delivery dates.

Roger

Roger,

If I would have ever received a valid delivery date I don’t think I would be typing in this forum. I’m truly surprised at you and SA and I would just leave it at that. I hope you can feel and respect my frustration at this point. I apologize for putting this out in the open but I’m done with it.

Numbers, CSM's, are not the order in which the cars are built. The car on the dealer lot belongs to a customer who placed a deposit at Barrett-Jackson last February and was one of the first cars to arrive at the factory.

You may or may not remember that the initial cars were put on hold at the factory. Many were built and sitting in the transportation lot. Essentially it put the project 3+ months behind. When the vehicles were shipped, by rail, it was not in the order they were built, but the way they stacked up for rail transport. Cars that were built first did not ship first. Hence the disparity of when the car was built to when the car arrived and placed into production.

Hope this explains some of the confusion and frustrations.

Roger

Quite frankly, no it does not and I'll shut up now. #20 is still for sale.

Venom,

It is hard for me to come on here and give any insight that will make it easier for the wait you have to endure. My wait was from January 11- October 15 (officially, but I knew about the car quite some time before, just never got to see it) and I have to say my patience was completely tapped by the time I took delivery. I have several friends here that can verify that! I thought I was gonna need therapy, and frankly I have built houses with less emotional distress. But thats the reason it is such a pain- your passion for your car just suffocates you, and the whole process is like a little bit of torture that builds and builds. I was so frustrated, that I almost just wanted to eBay the dang thing and move on. But the wait IS worth it. You get behind the wheel, and drive this car a couple times, and all of your worries and concerns will just melt away. If you asked me on October 14th if I thought all of this was worth it, I would have said no frickin way. But if you asked me the same question today, I would tell you it was worth TWICE the wait. This car almost put me into a divorce, and even my wife who was completely against it before delivery, now loves this car. In fact she refers to it as "our" car. In 11 days, I get to put this thing on a track, and then I will have some serious thoughts to share, and if I am any judge of a car's performance on the street, I am guessing I will love it TWICE as much. I loved my GT500 more than any car (or much less anything possession wise) and after driving the 350, my GT500 was finished for me. I still cant beleive that I was able to let it go without even a second thought. Take delivery, and try it out. Trust me, you wont regret it after the wait is over!:salute:

We will assit with anyone trying to sell their production spot and vehicle.

Roger

Roger

Thanks for the positive reinforcement (wink wink) I think you are up for salesman of the year award. I will take you up on your offer!

Dubbs thank you for your comments you and some others are the only people keeping my hopes up.

Roger

Thanks for the positive reinforcement (wink wink) I think you are up for salesman of the year award. I will take you up on your offer!

Dubbs thank you for your comments you and some others are the only people keeping my hopes up.

[/quote)

We believe the sales staff has provided an anticipated delivery date. Through owner communications you are also aware that due to potential issues with production, vendors etc. it is virtually impossible, until the vehicle reaches a certain point, to provide anyone with an exact date of completion.

"Me three! My car was in Vegas in June and went MIA for the same issues. Finally hit SA in July. I should have my auto by now. There needs to be a better process. If I don’t hear anything in two weeks I will be posting it up on e-bay. I’ve had enough!"

We never had control and still do not on arrival dates of each vehicle.That date set each cars production schedule in motion. You also know why your car was delayed in it's arrival to Shelby American. Each vehicle is personalized with customer selected options. Some are base builds, some have every option selected. Time frames on each car differ by as much as 2-3 weeks. And do not forget the fact that while the car is being built some customers change their work order to either add or remove original selections. We like to try and keep this to a minimum but we are committed to build the car as the customer chooses.

Your vehicle arrived in July, along with several others on the same day. May cars are being completed and June cars are on the lifts, some in final stages of completion. Some of the work has been completed on most all cars such as suspension. The process was able to handle 10,000 Shelby GT's and 1,741 KR's.

We are just a phone call away, always have been. We are committed to support you achieve your desired result. Either way.

Roger

Roger,

There is no disagreement of when my car arrived at SA. My post clearly states hit SA in July. I’m well aware of the time line upon the arrival of my auto.

My complaint was the process. After weeks of my car MIA my dealer nor SA had any information as to were my vehicle was located. You went on a “fact finding mission” and were able to locate my car. I applaud you for that but now there was no consideration for the 2 – 3 weeks for my missing auto. I’ve accepted this based on the information you provided to me.

I was informed in the early stages of this project that my car would be anywhere from the 20th through 25th auto built. I than sent SA 15K in deposit (above the minimum) than the story line has been a moving target ever since.

I flew out to Vegas the first week in October to see what was going on. After seeing my car located last in the back of the garage, I was extremely disappointed. I’m hoping oh wait! Praying that I will have some good news this month. Hopefully this car will have the “Eva Longoria” effect on me and it will assist me with the wait.

I'm sorry, but I can't hold back any longer. I've been reading the postings of those of you, who like me are disgusted with the process, the communication and the total lack of customer service.

My car hit SAI in June and I was told, on more than one occasion, that it was #34 in the build line. But guess what, it seems that now it has become number 50. NUMBER 50! And it's a June car. So where did 16 build slots go? Good question. I know the answer but it would be denied if I posted it here.

If you all recall we were told that our cars were being worked on a little at a time while the parts were coming in. Things like brakes, suspension etc. were being done on the cars so that as the critical parts (fascia, hoods etc) arrived there would be little delay in finishing the cars. The cars were being moved in and out so that work could be done. There was even a picture posted that elicited comments about the wheels being just temporary so that the cars could be moved around without damaging the Cragars.

Well, after my car had been at SAI for several months I received an email from them requesting additional ownership information on my car. The email stated that failure to provide the information would result in no work being started. Of course all of the paperwork had been sent long ago so I was livid; not only over the paperwork but the fact that work on the car should have been progressing all along. I sent an email back with a copy of my registration and asked for clarification on the work progress. I received a response saying that if they didn't word it that way, no one would send in the paperwork; it was just a ruse. It also said not to worry, THAT WORK WAS BEING COMPLETED ON THE CARS.

As time went on I became aware of disturbing information and became concerned about the car. So during SEMA I had my car located at SAI. It was buried deep in the bowels of the B storage building, along the back wall, with row upon row of GT's stacked in front of it. The plastic from the factory was still on the car. It had never been touched. I have pictures of the car and the building.

So far during this entire process I was personally notified one time by SAI about my car; that was when the car arrived at SAI. Every other time I've had to call and make inquires as to the progress and status of the build. (And until just recently, I was always number 34!) Of course we can't forget that wonderful letter that was sent to us on behalf of John Luft, the one preceded by the emails talking about cycling the cars in and out to keep the builds progressing (that wasn't occurring) . You remember the one, where he told us that we would be seeing 5-7 GT350's a week being turned out. Talk about condescending. Of course if that number were accurate this topic would be moot.

I appreciate all the sentiments that say that when the car finally arrives it will all be worthwhile. But I'm afraid that the bad taste from this experience is far reaching and most bitter. You see, not only will the car not be done until sometime next year (and who knows what number I may drop to by then), but my wife and I will have missed the Bash and the opportunity to meet up with the friends that we made last year, and the new friends that we were looking forward to this year.

I applaud those of you who were able to get your cars. And I envy the buyer on ebay that just bought a completed GT350. To me right now, the premium that buyer paid seems cheap compared to the aggravation I've suffered with no end in sight.

John

Archived