TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Where is the bottom?

SNKBITE

Doesn't it cost at least $120,000 to build this car as it sits right now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290503994798&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

This car sold at Mecum for $76k last January. A potential $23k flip is not a bad investment if the ebay seller can get it.

Steve

I think we are seeing the bottom. Keep in mind that the base price for the roller is going up by $10K starting 12/1. And the fact that Mr.Shelby isn't getting any youger will mean that the MSO's will not bare his signiture or having his signiture on the Cobra will be just as rare as owning one. To some this isn't a big deal, I feel it is since the Cobra is were it all started. Good luck

I think we are seeing the bottom. Keep in mind that the base price for the roller is going up by $10K starting 12/1. And the fact that Mr.Shelby isn't getting any younger will mean that the MSO's will not bare his signature or having his signature on the Cobra will be just as rare as owning one. To some this isn't a big deal, I feel it is since the Cobra is were it all started. Good luck

:yup:

I could not agree more.

This car sold at Mecum for $76k last January. A potential $23k flip is not a bad investment if the ebay seller can get it.

Steve

I think you're forgetting about the 10% buyer's premium of $7,600 which would've pushed the total price up to $83,600 correct? I wonder if the successful bidder has this car on consignment "feeling out" the Cobra market....

I think you're forgetting about the 10% buyer's premium of $7,600 which would've pushed the total price up to $83,600 correct? I wonder if the successful bidder has this car on consignment "feeling out" the Cobra market....

Yes I did not add in the buyers premium, taxes and shipping of the car. In fact you could also look at it the other way, it sold for $76k but what did the seller really take home? Once you subtract the sellers premium, the listing/auction fee's, the costs of getting the car to Mecum, etc. it's very possible the seller recieved a net sale price of $66k or perhaps even less. Seller may have been better off just advertising the car himself on ebay & Autotrader for a fixed price of $75k. Perhaps the seller had hopes of a six digit sale at Mecum?

Steve

Yes I did not add in the buyers premium, taxes and shipping of the car. In fact you could also look at it the other way, it sold for $76k but what did the seller really take home? Once you subtract the sellers premium, the listing/auction fee's, the costs of getting the car to Mecum, etc. it's very possible the seller recieved a net sale price of $66k or perhaps even less. Seller may have been better off just advertising the car himself on ebay & Autotrader for a fixed price of $75k. Perhaps the seller had hopes of a six digit sale at Mecum?

Steve

Agreed...Wasn't this one of Stephen Becker's cars?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I believe it was.

I don't think these auctions are always a true measure of value for a number of reasons.

I own a Continuation Series Shelby 427. While they will command a higher price then "replicas" as long as SAI continues to make Continuation series Cobras they will not IMHO attain collector car status. If SAI stops making Continuation series Cobras then they have a chance at collector car status, especially the aluminum bodied Shelbys. MHO.

I don't think these auctions are always a true measure of value for a number of reasons.

I own a Continuation Series Shelby 427. While they will command a higher price then "replicas" as long as SAI continues to make Continuation series Cobras they will not IMHO attain collector car status. If SAI stops making Continuation series Cobras then they have a chance at collector car status, especially the aluminum bodied Shelbys. MHO.

Agreed...The televised auctions reek of "Reality TV" syndrome and seem to create an inflated value because of the exposure of the vehicle and possibly the bidder. The drama shown by the bidder "assistants" especially on MECUM seems so fabricated and gut wrenching. Why do these "adults" have to all act like teenagers? D'oh, it must be the television time...

I think the aluminum bodied CSX continuations (CSX 4000's or the newer CSX 1000's), will be the most desired Cobras in the future (excluding the original 2000/3000 series) and I think they will command prices far in excess of even the nicest Kirkhams because of their lineage back to the originals of the '60's. Without those bloodlines, it's just another "REPLICA" or licensed product.

Bottom line.

Continuation CSX aluminum Cobras are the brass ring short of the CSX2000 and CSX3000 series.

However, until they are no longer manufactured, like the 2000 and 3000 series, they will never be collectible. If production stops, I agree they will become valuable.

Add 40 years to the last production unit and then we'll see some real value! Of course, none of us will be around to realize the profits!

Archived